I had a happily running Tivo, but it was too full of things I'd quite like to keep. I wanted to add a 2nd hard drive to give a bit more room. I have a Philips Tivo from US.

I used the image CD to add the 2nd drive to the configuration. Back on the Tivo no matter what I did it wouldn't boot with the 2nd hard drive in place. My 1st hard drive had worked as Master, but I couldn't get the Tivo to boot with both in place - with any combinations of master, slave etc for either. Any ideas on what's going wrong?

Then I gave up and wanted to return to my single hard drive setup for the time being. Only problem: now part way during startup it reboots. During boot it looks normal, shows the cachecard splash screen, then briefly blank screen with the normal Tivo bar at the top, then a completely pink-purple screen for a second or so and restart.

I'm wondering whether the image now expects a 2nd hard drive and restarts when it's missing.
Can I alter settings from the image CD to restore it to a single drive setup without losing data & settings?

I'd really like to keep the contents on that hard drive. If I do have to reimage is there any way to recover the contents of the original drive? I can image onto the new drive, then can I access the old drive in any way?

Many thanks for any and all help.