Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Channel frequency changes

Channel frequency changes

Hi all,

I've just moved back from the UK with my Thompson Tivo unit. I live in NSW but the channels I can receive have the incorrect frequency setup. I tried running palmod_config but I don't think it works for UK models.

Any ideas how I can change the frequencies assigned to the channels?

I'm not into UK TiVo's, but I can answer part of your questions.

palmod is not used on UK tivo's, it is only used on US TiVo's to make them work in PAL mode.

On UK TiVo's there is a module called ukchan30.o which from memory controls these things.

Maybe PM a user here called thomson, he has more experience with UK TiVo's.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

The first thing to try it to ensure you have the following module loaded (insmod ukchan30.o):

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...LatestPalModUK

If you are still having trouble then the frequency table needs to be altered and then recompiled (which I can help will, but can't test).

Yes I have the latest ukchan.o file. Problem is only some channels are available in the NSW setup others have incorrect frequency assigned for my location.

Appreciate if you could change the frequency for the following and I will test.

Channel 56 - 175250
    Channel 58 - 744250
    Channel 63 - 765250
    Channel 65 - 189250
    Channel 66 - 786250

thanks again

Hi

Where abouts are you located and what transmitter location are you trying to receive (ie what hill/site/town does your antenna point to)?

The simpler solution, and one that would benefit anyone else who gets a TiVo in your area, would be for a new headend to be created for the transmitters in your area and then you just pick that in Guided Setup.

I'm usually the one who creates these headend definitions by default as I generally see most of the new areas that need creation when people ask me to mod a USA TiVo with a PAL tuner. With your help answering the above question I can create the necessary definition and email it to Warren for inclusion into the emulator.

Be aware however that for the next few days I am going to be a little busy so please be patient, but I am willing to help all the same.

Cheers
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Quote Originally Posted by the3rdplace
    Appreciate if you could change the frequency for the following and I will test.

Channel 56 - 175250
    Channel 58 - 744250
    Channel 63 - 765250
    Channel 65 - 189250
    Channel 66 - 786250
    I have attached a kernel module with these changes... but am unsure why you require them? 175250 can be found on channel 6, 744250 can be found on channel 59, 765250 can be found on channel 62, 189250 can be found on channel 8 and 786250 can be found on channel 65. If you wish to remap channels then an easier approach would be to use the ChannelMap TivoWeb module.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Darren King
    Hi

Where abouts are you located and what transmitter location are you trying to receive (ie what hill/site/town does your antenna point to)?
    I'm located in Forster. The channels I need are

Network/Channel Number/Frequency

ABC/6/175250
    SBS/59/744250
    PRIME/8/189250
    NBN/62/765250
    TEN/65/786250

Quote Originally Posted by thomson
    I have attached a kernel module with these changes... but am unsure why you require them? 175250 can be found on channel 6, 744250 can be found on channel 59, 765250 can be found on channel 62, 189250 can be found on channel 8 and 786250 can be found on channel 65. If you wish to remap channels then an easier approach would be to use the ChannelMap TivoWeb module.
    Channels 6 and 8 aren't available to select. The others I tried to remap but I lost some channels and duplicated others.

Anyway, thanks for updating the file, it works now.

Below is just a suggestion but one which petestrash, thomson & Darren King may find useful.

Instead of creating a separate headend for each area, why not get users to configure the Palmod "Fine tuning" setting for each channel to the actual frequency for their specific area. What this would mean is that one headend could be used for all areas and it would list all the available OTA (Over the Air) channels. Aside from only one headend needing to be generated, the other main advantage of going this route is that you can assign channel numbers that don't conflict with existing numbers in the satellite lineup, this is very useful for users making use of two inputs. All that the user needs to do is configure the Palmod "Fine tuning" to adjust the channel number to their local frequency per each station.

The "RF Setup" page I created for South African users means I can generate one headend containing all available OTA stations and users can modify the channel to their local frequency while still maintaining the non-conflicting channel numbering. The "RF Setup" page makes the whole process very simple for users as all that is required is for them to enter in the local channel number after which the code to make all the changes is automatically generated.

Although the above works without hassle on a PAL modded US TiVo, I'm not familiar with how the ukchan module works and if it supports a "fine tuning" option as is available with palmod, I'll leave that up to thomson to answer. If the "fine tuning" option is not available, adding it may mean that new/custom modules don't need to continuously be created.

Any comments, good, bad or otherwise on going the above route are most welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by T1voZA
    Any comments, good, bad or otherwise on going the above route are most welcome.
    I guess I have to say I like the approach as I use it myself. I do this because I like to map Channel-1 to TV1, Channel-2 to TV2, Channel-3 to TV3, Channel-4 to C4, etc... This also means I can easily jump to a channel using the numbers on the TiVo remote rather than channel up/down. I use a version of Palmod (written for the Polish amongst us ) that allows the mapping of all channels (0-99) via this mechanism.

Neither the current ukchan (for the v2.5.5 software) or the ukchan30 (for the v3.0 software) take parameters, although it would be possible for them to do so.

The downside is that this would be an additional step that users would have to go through, and it would be a good idea to maintain a list of configurations to give users a head start... in which case it may be easier to just have differing headends...