Thread: Some simple questions

Some simple questions

I was just pondering some things that I would like answered before I make any purchases.

1. I've seen a lot of screenshots of tivo (US and UK) and was wondering if oztivo looked anything similar to these. It would be much appreciated if people could post some screenshots of oztivo.

2. If I have ONE Foxtel Digital STB, can oztivo be used to allow Foxtel Digital to be received in more than one room?

3. Will I have to be connected to the internet to receive the TV guide data? Will dial-up be sufficient enough?

4. How do I trnasfer TV logos to the box? Can I alter these logos for my liking?

5. Other than the hardware, is this sevice free?

6. Is there anyway to recieve Digital TV on oztivo without having a separate STB?

7. Finally; How different is this service from US tivo?

Quote Originally Posted by 01169

1. I've seen a lot of screenshots of tivo (US and UK) and was wondering if oztivo looked anything similar to these. It would be much appreciated if people could post some screenshots of oztivo.
    If you buy a UK TiVo then the menus are identical. If you buy a US TiVo, then the menus have the same features as the S1 TiVo's in the US. There is a slight difference in the apperance of the menus on screen though as they are slightly shorter. But all videos are full size.

2. If I have ONE Foxtel Digital STB, can oztivo be used to allow Foxtel Digital to be received in more than one room?
    If you have only one box before buying a TiVo, you will still only have one box afterwards. Your options are the same for sharing a signal whether or not a TiVo is invloved. But If you want to use TiVo for recording Foxtel, it's best not to use that STB for any live viewing. Let TiVo do it's thing and just watch recorded shows.

3. Will I have to be connected to the internet to receive the TV guide data? Will dial-up be sufficient enough?
    Yes you need some type of internet connection. You can use Dial up, but only a few ISP's work.

4. How do I trnasfer TV logos to the box? Can I alter these logos for my liking?
    the image includes tools for uploading logo's. You can also make you own, but these can be difficult because of the palette used.

5. Other than the hardware, is this sevice free?
    The guide is provided free by volunteers without any promise it will continue indefinately.

6. Is there anyway to recieve Digital TV on oztivo without having a separate STB?
    No.

7. Finally; How different is this service from US tivo?
    1. We rarely have more than 1 weeks FTA guide available
    2. Because we use S1 TiVo's none of the cool features used in the S2's work here.
    3. The guide if free

If you haven't already, it's probably best if read some of the info on oztivo.net. A lot of these questions have already been documented.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Thanks heaps.