Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Time Tivo Set-up - Can't Call Out

1. First Time Tivo Set-up - Can't Call Out

Hi,

I am a complete Tivo newbie, so I apologise in advance for any ignorance. I have recently purchased a philips series 1 HDRx12 tivo from the US with the hope of getting it running in Melbourne, Victoria. This unit came with no harddrive or network card. I have successfully installed a 120gb Seagate harddrive and a Turbonet network card (wasn't sure if this was required, but got one just in case!) using the links on this site.

I then successfully managed to load the iso image onto the harddrive (pretty sure this was the latest version as of last week), and I have connected the tivo to my TV via my digital foxtel box (I receive satalite foxtel), as I do not have a PAL tuner installed, and don't know where to purchase one. I have been told that this should still work (at least for the foxtel channels).

When I go through the guided setup, following the instructions from the Oztivo site, I get to the point where the tivo needs to make the first 'call out'. At this point, my tivo is connected to my TV and foxtel box via RCA cables, and I have a phone cable running from the back of my tivo to the phone socket. I have two main questions here:

1. The network card is currently not plugged into anything. I assume it should be, but I'm not quite sure what this is used for (told you I was new!). Should this be plugged into my modem or something?

2. When the tivo tries to call out (I presume using the phone line), the call does not connect. I have tried all the troubleshooting options, and have also tried to make a test call, which fails at the 'connecting' stage' (it passes the preparing to dial and dialing phases). The error message that is shown is 'service failure'. I definitely know that there is no problem with the actual phone line itself (it has recently been tested by a technician for an unrelated problem). In addition, even though it says that it has passed the 'dialing' portion of the test call, I never hear any dialling noises when I pick up the phone (on the same line), so I suspect that it is in fact, not dialing. Is the Tivo missing some piece of hardware that I need to connect perhaps? Or is this where the network card kicks in?

Sorry if I have been verbose or comepletely moronic. Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. I have learnt a lot through trial and error as well as through these forums/FAQs, but it seems that I have hit a brick wall.

Thanks very much in advance!

Hi and welcome to the group.

To proceed we need to know how you currently connect to the internet.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Peter is correct.

TiVo in Australia does not natively connect to the setup and guide data server via the internal modem like you might think it does in the USA. In Australia you need some sort of internet connection for it to work.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

4. I am currently connected to the internet via Optusnet broadband ADSL. My current setup is as follows:

- D-link 302G Modem, which is pluged into my phone socket; and
    - Apple Airport wireless router, which is connected to my D-link modem via ethernet cable.

At present the tivo isn't connected to my router or my modem (my modem only has one ethernet port at the back, which is being used to currently connect to the wireless router). I thought that I might have to connect the turbonet card to the modem via ethernet, but I don't have a spare port at the back to do this. Is this the case? Or am I supposed to be just plugging in the phone line to the back of the tivo?

Sorry if this is confusing!

Go and buy a 4-port hub. Plug the ADSL modem into one port, the wireless Airport router into another of the ports and the TiVo via the turbonet card into another. This will get around your lack of spare ethernet ports and give you one spare for expansion later.

As previously said, you cannot use the modem internal to the TiVo in most cases. That is the short answer. The long answer is that you can, however given you already have ADSL then this is pointless given you will also need a dialup internet account and be prepared to spend money on about one phonecall a day. Why do that when you have the means to do it properly via your ADSL internet account which means you won't spend any money on phonecalls.
    Darren King

6. So does this mean I don't need a phone line in the tivo at all? I will purchase an ethernet hub tomorrow and give that a try.

I agree with Darren, in your case it is best forgetting about the TiVo modem, as you already have ADSL and a turbonet card.

As Darren has suggested go and get at least a 4 port hub or switch and 2 extra cat5 cables. Use your existing cable to connect the modem to the hub/switch and the new cables for the airpoint and tivo.

Turn the TiVo off.

Remove the HDD and put it back into your PC

Rerun the oztivo installer and setup the software for the turbonet. I'd suggest you set a static IP something like 192.168.1.50.

When you finish setting it up, remove the HDD and reinstall it in the TiVo.

Then install the Turbonet card and run it's cable out the back of the chassis and plug it into your new hub/switch.

Turn the TiVo back on and try Guided setup again.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie95
    So does this mean I don't need a phone line in the tivo at all? I will purchase an ethernet hub tomorrow and give that a try.
    Correct, you will only use your existing ADSL connection and the TiVo modem will not be used.

Peter

9. I just tried to set up the tivo using just the ethernet cable as follows:
    The ethernet cable plugged into the turbonet card, with the other end plugged into the ethernet port of my modem.

The HDD is already set up with a static IP address. I then tried to run the guided setup again, and I still got no connection when it tried to connect. The error message that came up at the 'connecting' stage was as follows "Failed. Service Unavailable". I then ran the test the phone line option and got the same error message.

Any ideas?

Is the modem showing it has a valid ether net link - maybe a crossover cable needed?

Is the static IP address, subnet and gateway one that matches your modem?

If either of those check out what happens if you re-image the hard disk leaving it to the defaults of DHCP assigned?

At any rate you can FORGET about the internal modem. As stated, unless you have a dialup ISP and it just so happens to be compatible with the login method the TiVo requires to authenticate (not many ISP's do) then it is a waste of time even trying. For all intents and purposes the internal modem is useless in Australia.

Are you clear on the fact that with the internal modem TiVo in Australia does not dial a dedicated TiVo service like it does in the USA, rather it requires a compatible dialup ISP to network to the community emulator server via the Internet - just like to does via an ethernet connection and your ADSL modem?
    Darren King