Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newb Question: channels over multiple timezones

Newb Question: channels over multiple timezones

Hi all!

rather new to oztivo - have been lurking here a while, and am about to take the plunge and buy my first tivo.

However, i have one important question: is it possible to have accurate guide data when receiving channels broadcast from multiple timezones?

More specifically, i want to use the tivo on Norfolk Island. Norfolk is AEDT +1.5 hrs, and receives programming from ABC (NSW), SBS (NSW), Imparja (NT i think...) and Seven Central (also NT).

Is it possible to set individual timezone offsets for each channel? or is this calculated automatically by the tivo based on the channels i can receive and the local timezone i choose?

your input is greatly appreciated!

MARK

This is all automatically done when we create a head end for you, if one does not already exist to suit your area.

It sounds like you basically receive the Aurora package from Optus. If this is the case we already have this loaded.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

So regardless of the timezone set in the Tivo locally, the guide data is automatically aligned correctly?

what is involved in creating a head end? is this even required if we get the aurora package - even though its in a different timezone?

sorry to sound so dense, its all a bit new!

Correct, all the magic is done internally by both the TiVo and the server.

If the Aurora line-up is not correct for you. we will build you a norfolk island headend, but there is no point until you buy a TiVo.

How do you receive TV signals. Do you have your own satellite dish or just a TV aerial.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

That's great news! Thanks peter. i'll be ordering my Tivo straight away then!

All those channels are re-broadbcast on the island - so it's picked up with a normal tv aerial.

I'll let you know in a couple of weeks whether the aurora line-up works.

Cheers,

MARK

Ok, since it's rebroadcast you will need a VCR to act as tuner for the channels. Check the IR codes list on the Oztivo.net website for VCR's that are already supported. If you use an unsupported VCR you will need to create the IR codes yourself, which while not difficult, some people have difficulty doing.

You use to be able to modify the TiVo by installing an internal PAL tuner, but these have run out and are no longer available.

You may want to try and purchase a TiVo locally that already has the tuner mod done.

Peter.

Hi All again!

well, i bought my tivo! from Ron at Hobotivo... seems to be working great so far... got through the guided setup and network issues. selected the appropriate channels from the aurora lineup.

i'm having trouble now as the frequencies that the channels are rebroadcast on here on Norfolk are different to those that the tivo expects. Only the ABC is showing up, but the tivo thinks it is channel 7. how do i tune in these non standard channels? i've had a play with palmod_config, and this will let me enter specific frequencies, is this the way? (will first have to find a friendly tv tech who can tell me the appriate freqs...) or is there a way of scanning for channels? do i need to reboot after changing palmod options?

Also, as we're GMT+11.5 hrs the system clock is reading wrong (it is showing AEST)... how can i change the timezone/clock to this (nonstandard) timezone?

appreciate your kind help (AGAIN!)

Cheers,

MARK

I didn't consider the Timezone issue for you.

It would be best to make a custom headend for norfolk. That would take care of both the timezone and channel remapping.

Can you please post what stations you receive and what channel they are broadcast on.

Peter.

Hi Peter,

thanks for yoru responnse!

We receive ABC (NSW), SBS (NSW), Seven Central and Imparja (all present in the Aurora lineup).

Will head into town this morning and see if i can work out from someone what channels they are re-broadcast on. I know the tivo picked up ABC where it expected ch 7 to be... and i have a feeling SBS is on ch9. will post back later and confirm.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Peter,

found out the frequencies for the local channels, they are:

ABC - Ch7 (182.25)
    SBS - Ch9 (196.25)
    Seven Central - Ch12 (224.25)
    Imparja - Ch 28 (527.25)

Hope that helps!

MARK