Thread: Selecting IR Codes in Guided Setup

Unhappy Selecting IR Codes in Guided Setup

I've recently returned from working in the US with a few Series I TiVos and TurboNet cards. I found the OzTiVo site whilst there and have been following the guidance in what to buy and how to set it up. I have zero knowledge of linux, telnet, puTTY, or how to access a TiVo via a serial cable, but expect I'll have to learn soon enough.

What I am trying to set up (for the first one) is:
    - TiVo Series I Philips HDR212 with Turbonet card
    - Wired connection to Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router
    - Single input source - Panasonic VCR Model NV-HV60
    - No cable or set top box, just FTA via antenna (through the VCR).
    - Location is Sydney

The snag I have hit is in the guided setup. I've followed the instructions through to 'Setting Up Your Infrared Controller'. For 'Cable Box Brand' I'm selecting Panasonic and am then presented with various codes (and speeds) to try (00050, 00053 and 00058) - none of them work.

The guided setup lists more codes for Panasonic (and others), but I don't know how to get them to appear in the selectable list. I've also swapped out IR cables and double-checked the IR sensor location on the VCR.

Any advice on what to do next would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi Rob and welcome.

Your problem pops up from time to time, and is most likely going to be that your VCR does not have a compatible IR code in the database. If you want to use this VCR then you are going to have to create your own IR codes for it. There are several different ways to accomplish this and they are all covered in the "IR" section of OzTiVo here: http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/IR/WebHome

Either that or ditch the VCR and get a cheap digital STB instead as this is the more popular option and many of the cheap ones on the market have their IR codes in the database.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Darren,
    Thanks for the advice. Creating IR codes looks like a daunting process, so let me pose my question in more detail first. The Setting Up Your Infrared Controller section of the Guided Setup found here:
    http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...frared_Control
    lists (amongst others) codes for six Panasonic devices (five of them VCRs) as listed:

Panasonic NV-FJ620 30052 VCR
    Panasonic NV-FJ630 30041 VCR
    Panasonic NV-HD620 30024 VCR
    Panasonic TC20A 30086 Digital
    Panasonic Unknown 30003 VCR
    Panasonic nv-sd280ea 30074 VCR

I would like to try these codes first, but when I select Panasonic as the Cable Box Brand in the guided setup process, I only get the three codes I mentioned before (00050, 00053 and 00058), none of the five (or six) listed above. I don't understand the disconnect. Is there a way of getting any of the above five codes into the TiVo to see if they will work and (possibly) avoid having to create my own?

Sorry, I can't help there as I'm not a software guy so I'll leave it up to others more up to speed in this to answer that.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Quote Originally Posted by RobB
    when I select Panasonic as the Cable Box Brand in the guided setup process, I only get the three codes I mentioned before (00050, 00053 and 00058
    These are the codes from TiVo USA. All OzTiVo codes are in the 3xxxx+ range.

Quote Originally Posted by RobB
    http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...frared_Control
    lists (amongst others) codes for six Panasonic devices (five of them VCRs) as listed:

Panasonic NV-FJ620 30052 VCR
    Panasonic NV-FJ630 30041 VCR
    Panasonic NV-HD620 30024 VCR
    Panasonic TC20A 30086 Digital
    Panasonic Unknown 30003 VCR
    Panasonic nv-sd280ea 30074 VCR
    I can confirm that all these codes currently exist when running Guided setup. They are listed under the name 'Panasonic Oztivo'. The other codes you mentioned are just called 'PANASONIC'.

There are two possibilities.

1. You just missed the first set of codes because they had the word 'Oztivo' in them.
    2. You don't see the codes because you have not installed the oztivo image onto your TiVo, so it is not contacting the Australian server for the right codes.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Smile

Peter,

I had imaged the drive. I did however miss the 'OzTiVo codes', and their significance, in the setup. All of the Panasonic IR Codes worked, but none of them for two digit station numbers. So I changed the channel numbers on the VCR to single digit, then followed the ChangeChannelNumber instructions on the OzTiVo site (included this as it might be a useful tip for other newbies).

So, wife is happy, marriage is saved!! Now to work on the next one. Thanks heaps, Rob.