Thread: TiVo and Xbox

Thumbs up TiVo and Xbox

If you own both, I suggest you have a look at TiVoX (a python script for XBMC)
    Its a breeze to setup and its fantastic!
    The TivoX Control Station is an add-on for XBMC which lets you view your TiVo's TV Guide, Programs, 'Now Showing' info and more on the Xbox! You can playback recordings, or delete them.
    Heres the thread at Deal Database for more info: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=34868

Looks like i'm a wee bit slow.. there's a nice howto right here: http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Howto/XboxAndTiVo

Requirements:
    - A networked TiVo! e.g. with a TurboNet card inside.
    - TivoWeb 1.9.4 on your tivo
    - XBMC v1.0 or later on your xbox
    - CCXStream on your Tivo, if you want to stream programs to your Xbox.
    Last edited by deanm; 09-09-2004 at 06:56 AM.
    US Series 1 Philips TiVo
    nzTiVo-Philips-Installer.img
    200Gb HDD 8Mb Cache, Turbonet
    Slices: Sky Digital, Auckland
    Hacks: TyServer, Manual Record & TivoTitle, TiVoX 1.5

Mmmmm Tivo and the XBMC yummy
    Marv

Actually, bit of an update on this. TivoX was always a bit of a dog when it came to playing files and sometimes the sound got out of sinc with the video etc. The navigation was also a bit off!

XBMC now natively supports connecting to the Tivo like a folder share so there is no need to run TivoX anymore. You simply need to be running ccxstream on your TIVO add a video share to the XBMC XML config and it works. Interestingly you can also play the buffering Live TV file so can effectively watch live TIVO through XBMC. Heres a bit of info on what you need to do.

1. Get the latest version of XBMC (although any version from the past 6 months should be fine). I'm not going to tell you were to get this!

2. Get CCXStream, and install the Series 1 or 2 version on your TIVO depending on which one you have (most people would be series 1 I would have thought?). Make sure you make the file executable (CHMOD +x ./ccxstream_s1 for series 1s) and then run it (./ccxstream_s1)

3. Add the following entry under the video section of your 'My Video Shares' XBMC XML config file:

<bookmark>
    <name>TIVO</name>
    <path>xbms://<TIVOIP>/</path>
    </bookmark>

4. Thats it - Done! You should now be able to browse to your 'Now Showing' videos and the live buffer as well.

markt.

I've recently tried to get this working and are having a few problems. Im able to browse the tivo xbms share on my Xbox however when I tried to load the media ccxstream returns the error 'broken pipe'. I can test that ccxstream is working ok by doing a telnet to my tivo, it responds fine. As soon as I try to load some media, and then do the telnet test I notice it's now not listening on that port and the process is not shown on the 'ps aux' list. Any ideas as to why ccxstream would be bailing? im using ccxstream_s1.

<edit>

just figured out how to run ccxstream in debug mode..

DEBUG ccxstream.c:1946 Connection closing
    DEBUG ccxstream.c:1980 New connection
    DEBUG ccxstream.c:1946 Connection closing
    [3]+ Broken pipe ./ccxstream -r /
    Broken pipe
    Last edited by reticent; 04-07-2006 at 02:55 PM.

*bump*

any ideas? I've now just formatted by tivo again with the newest oztivo image (I was using the nz version before and thought that might be causing the problem) and im still getting the same thing.