Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PAL Tuner in NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by stuge
    Recommendation to go through TiVo "System Reset", "Clear and Delete Everything" works to free up the unique id but then I need to start again with a guided setup screen. So I avoid guided setup and go straight to opening a bash prompt, as per Tim's How-to. Now the fta chanels won't show up at all and I have a white line at the top of my screen.
    My process for setting up a new system is as follows:

1. Perform a full reset of the TiVo
    2. Don't bother with the GS, just get a bash prompt
    3. dbload30.tcl headend.slice
    4. setheadend 6001
    5. dbload30.tcl NoNag.slice
    6. fixup30.tcl
    7. reboot

If you can give me your list of channels and what UHF number they match to, then I can create you a headend, which will get you up and going. I have never used the emulator, but I doubt that this will cause problems as I load the slices without issues.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by thomson; 30-06-2004 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Added package

Well I'm 3/4 of the way there... ( thanks to Thomson & Number6! )

I've got all the fta channels in and working but don't have guide data yet.

I think the workaround for the commit failed error is to assign a new unique id number.

One of the forums suggested that a total clear and delete everything was unecessary - just a c&d on the program info which would remove the channel info.. this sort of worked.

I did a clear and reset program info, and del sources.
    then added back in the FTA source with add-fta.tcl

then changed my add-whole-channel file to add an offset
    ie went from 1098003 to 1098103, 1098004 became 1098104

and viola, all channels automagically added in correctly. (happiness filled!)

But.. I'm not picking up guide data yet (via the emulator), I suspect its my channel names syntax but have not done the digging on this yet.

Can anyone shed some light on this ? - from Jaidevs post I used FTA-TV1 etc, but now suspect that just TV1 etc is correct, if so is there a way to directly edit the names using dbset or similar?

Also am keen to rearrange the sequence to be correct ie tv2 comes after tv1 and before tv3..

But meanwhile I'm watching FTA tv on my Tivo !!!! damn it rocks!
    Last edited by Grant; 30-06-2004 at 01:59 PM.

christchurch FTA freq.

For the record - the christchurch FTA freq's are:

TV1 = 3
    TV2 = 8
    TV3 = 6
    C4 = 11
    Prime = 62
    Maori = 46
    CTV = 44
    AM = 39 ( amateur TV hackers..)

Thomson if your offer stands of a custom headend then I'd say thanks.

This is the code that doesn't pickup the guidedata off the emulator but otherwise worked nicely.. as a file rz'd into tivo.

#! /bin/sh
    tivosh add-whole-channel.tcl 1098101 3 FTA-TV1 "TV1" 2274/71
    tivosh add-whole-channel.tcl 1098102 8 FTA-TV2 "TV2" 2274/71
    tivosh add-whole-channel.tcl 1098106 62 FTA-Prime "Prime" 2274/71
    tivosh add-whole-channel.tcl 1098103 6 FTA-TV3 "TV3" 2274/71
    tivosh add-whole-channel.tcl 1098132 11 FTA-C4 "C4" 2274/71
    tivosh add-whole-channel.tcl 1098144 44 FTA-CTV "CTV" 2274/71
    tivosh add-whole-channel.tcl 1098139 39 FTA-AM "AM" 2274/71
    tivosh add-whole-channel.tcl 1098133 46 FTA-Maori "The Maori Channel" 2274/71
    tivosh add-whole-channel.tcl 1098199 99 NoNag "NoNag" 2274/71

Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    Also am keen to rearrange the sequence to be correct ie tv2 comes after tv1 and before tv3.
    I have attached a headend slice for Christchurch... should be able to follow the above instructions using the chch-headend.slice file and "setheadend 8001" rather than 6001 (which I use for Wellington).

If you want to reorder stuff, then you should install the ChannelMap module for TivoWeb (and alter the channel numbers to be what you want) and use the "finetune" parameter in palmod.conf to reorder the channel frequency table:

eg: 1:62250,2:203250,3:189250,4:224250,5:799250,6:6712 50,7:655250,8:615250

This will set the correct frequencies and positions for the (ChCh) channels you provided.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by thomson; 01-07-2004 at 04:58 AM.

Thomson saves the day

The headend from Thomson worked a treat. The deceptively simple installation instructions got the channels all setup and working. It achieved in 15 minutes what I had been struggling with for days. Happy, happy, joy, joy.

My channels needed a bit of a tweak to get TV1 on the right frequency, but that is simple as anything with the Channel Map module for Tivoweb (http://tivo.lightn.org/channelmap.itcl.gz).

I would encourage anyone wanting to opt for a PAL modded US Tivo to give it a go. The headend slices are easily installed and tweaked to suit your region. The only additional thing I did outside Thomson's instuctions was to edit the postcodezones file to include "06001 Pacific/Auckland" to match the headend.

Happy to report a fully functioning US Tivo with no ongoing Sky charges. Wonderful. Thanks to all who helped.

Stuge

Quote Originally Posted by stuge
    My channels needed a bit of a tweak to get TV1 on the right frequency, but that is simple as anything with the Channel Map module for Tivoweb (http://tivo.lightn.org/channelmap.itcl.gz).
    Now that you have got it working, it is time to expand your knowledge. If you use the finetune option of palmod you should be able to get the channels mapped correctly to their respective numbers (so that you can hit 2 to get to channel 2).

The following finetune parameters (should be able to use palmod_config to change these), should be a good starting point. Then you can use your friendly ChannelMap module to remap the stations (1-TV1, 2-TV2, 3-TV3, 4-C4, 5-Prime, 6-MoariTV).

eg: 1:45250,2:182250,3:224250,4:55250,5:783250,6:65525 0

The TV1 (1) channel will be incorrect for you as you must be tuning to a different transmitter to me, but you can use the following table to calculate the correct frequency.

Code:
         Band    Channel    Frequency
         ------  --------   -----------------
         VHF-Lo  Ch 1       45250
         VHF-Lo  Ch 2-3     41250+(ch*7000)
         VHF-Hi  Ch 4-11    147250+(ch*7000)
         UHF     Ch 20-69   303250+(ch*8000)

Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    hey - the aussies do it - how hard can it be! ... at least with a soldering iron I know its gonna stay fixed - unlike those damn bits n bytes...

- Ed have you got any comment on the emulator compatiblity question? ie is the tuner not going to work because the emulator only loads the data for sky channels anyway? or some such jiggery pokery ( technical term)

In Aus they redo guided setup with the antenna option and the channels appear. Is the emulator only compatible with Cable = composite input?

(I'm yet to find a way to address the internal tuner to create it as a source - so can't see how to add it in after doing a cable setup)

I figure myself that I don't need to do the mod as I'm using a set top box decoder (and will be for ages into the foreseeable future). In some ways it might be easier if I ever decide to sell my TiVo, to sell it unmodified (possibly on ebay).

Not that I intend to sell it, shesh no

But, yeah... if you have access to Sky or Saturn then there's not much point in doing the mod.

Quote Originally Posted by ehintz
    We think alike, you and I...
    What's the saying? 'Great minds think alike'

Quote Originally Posted by zollymonsta
    What's the saying? 'Great minds think alike'
    And don't forget the (oft forgotten) second line of that saying which is:

"And fools seldom differ".

FWIW

Modding US Tivo for PAL reception in NZ actually appears to be quite easy given the advice and files from Thomson & Number6

It looks like Nicam sound is not an option on US tivos so the component changes are just the ALP's tuner module itself. this is prety easy to do. ( esp. compared to adding the Oz stereo mod)

From Thomsons research its only practical to get Nicam if we start with UK tivo's or somehow source the micronas QFP chip - maybe a collective buy in the future.

If you already a sky/saturn subscriber then its probably 50/50 if there is any benefit (recording FTA while watching sky?), but for the rest of us its damn good to have FTA on Tivo as a standalone solution.