Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: PAL Tuner in NZ?

palmod_config

Thomson,

Are you still planning to update your palmod_config file. I have been holding back on trying out your version of palmod.o in the hope you were issuing a matching config file.

Thanks

Moby

EDIT - I TAKE IT BACK, I THINK YOU HAVE ALREADY DONE SO IN THE ZIPPED BIN FILE ?
    Last edited by mobelby; 10-12-2004 at 11:11 AM.

If you are using the svideo input and are using a pre-3.05 version, all I can say is upgrade today, now, run...

The picture quality is great.
    And you get to fiddle with a values live (in my case in the lounge with a laptop, staying within palmod_config and seeing the changes on the TV screen)

A great thanks to Thomson for his great work.

PS: My current values for Sky on svideo are as follows
    (I'm still tweaking, it might still be a bit bright)

avbrightness=109
    avcontrast=73
    avsaturation=51
    luminanceDelay=0

Quote Originally Posted by mobelby
    Are you still planning to update your palmod_config file. I have been holding back on trying out your version of palmod.o in the hope you were issuing a matching config file.
    The configuration file all depends on your setup. There is an example of a /etc/palmod.conf file in the post that contains the zip files, however you should run the provided "palmod_config" in order to create/make changes to your existing setup.

The steps involved in updating your palmod can be found in this wiki.

Note: The palmod_config file is an executable application and not a configuration file.

Thanks Thomson

All installed and configured. It really helps fine tuning the colour saturation in real time. All looks good now

Moby

Question New palmod makes for a trippy TiVo

Just installed palmod V3.0.5 from http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...tPalModSeries1 and now when the TiVo boots up, it doesn't seem to want to "lock on" to the signal.

Instead, I get a sort of negative blocky image, in purples and greens. Sort of a rave party TiVo, or maybe a retro flower power "tune in, turn on, trip out" TiVo (except it won't tune in!).

Anyway, once I do a channel change everything is OK.

rc.arch is OK (according to the PDF document) and my Tivo has been working fine for ages. Any ideas?

Problem is not too serious, just a little bit annoying.

My TiVo is setup up to use a Thomson digital STB as the tuner. I had the same results feeding the Tivo from my Sony DVD player. If I disconnect the video in signal and reconnect it, the Tivo also fixes itself up (am using composite video in).

Cheers,

Indulis

New unofficial palmod

I have just updated the unofficial palmod code. It now provides a completely new interactive method of tuning the picture settings. It can be found in the following post.

Indulis, I am not sure if there is much that can be done for your problem (although you may like to try the above version to see if it helps). The issue is that the functions in the palmod module are not actually called until you change a channel. Technically it would be possible to adjust some of the settings on module initialisation (startup) but that would require it knowing which input you are using - which is not provided until you switch channels. You should not need to reboot the TiVo much, but if this is a problem for you then I could look into adding code into the initialisation in the hope that that runs after whatever is messing up your inputs.
    Last edited by thomson; 13-12-2004 at 08:24 PM.

thomson,

Thanks for pointing me here with the issues of the 3.05 version on minnie and also thanks for fixing the 210.25 Channel 10 frequency back to the 95% common ly used 209.25 so quickly!!

I just wanted to thankyou and let you know the new version is working just perfectly!

Unhappy Dumb question time.....

Can any one give me a step by step approach to get my US Philips series 1 tuning properly. I have been away for a while, so I notice that GRANT seems to have had some success. Currently the TiVo I have has got a Philip's compatible tuner fitted and checked. I once got it to tune into PRIME here in the Waikato, but now it doesn't. Every time I set the Fine tune parameter in the PAL_MOD.conf file or add_whole_channel, the TiVo no longer talks to the tuner module (have checked it with a oscilloscope), why? What have I forgotten or got wrong? The bloody thing getting frustrating.........
    I have now downloaded the latest PALMOD file, so I will copy that across and see what happens. Any clue from anyone, I would prefer to get this thing to run stand alone. At the moment the wife would rather I use it for a anchor as it would be more useful.......

Help me please!

Waikato channels are Tv1= Ch1, Tv2= Ch3, Tv3= Ch10, C4= Ch7, Maori= Ch44, Prime= Ch60.

PS. I am not worried about the TV guide part, if it runs as a normal PVR is fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Dew
    Waikato channels are Tv1= Ch1, Tv2= Ch3, Tv3= Ch10, C4= Ch7, Maori= Ch44, Prime= Ch60. I am not worried about the TV guide part, if it runs as a normal PVR is fine with me.
    Okay... if you wish to load the palmod version located in this post and then place the following in your /etc/palmod.conf file, then you should be up and running.

brightness=125 contrast=67 saturation=85 avbrightness=125 avcontrast=67
    avsaturation=85 screenwidth=544 dualaudioinput=0 tunertype=0 freqtable=1
    horizontalshift=195 rfoutput=24 luminanceDelay=0
    finetune="1:45250,2:62250,3:217250,4:196250,5:7832 50,6:655250"

Remove the space in the 655250 number, it's just odd formating?!?

If you wish to load a headend then I have also attached one that should work in Waikato. My process for setting up a new standalone (one without Internet access) system is as follows:

1. Perform a full reset of the TiVo
    2. Don't bother with the GS, just get a bash prompt
    3. dbload30.tcl waikato-headend.slice
    4. setheadend 6001
    5. dbload30.tcl NoNag.slice
    6. fixup30.tcl
    7. reboot

You may also wish to edit the postcodezones file to include "06001 Pacific/Auckland"
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by thomson; 04-02-2005 at 02:21 PM.

Next dumb question

Hey thanks heaps Thomson. It works a treat now, but....

When I select channel 1 the unit seems to be looking at the AV input? the screen goes blank then to the blue screen of no input signal. Any ideas? would be nice to get the channels in order. At the moment they are 1 step out, it will recieve channel 1 but not on screen channel 1 get the idea?. Also is there anyway to increase the output audio level a little, just being picky here but it would be nice to get the levels the same on my TV so I don't have to keep adjusting the volume.

PS My first problem seems to have been that the Tuner module I had, had lost its internal +32vDc rail for the tuning sections, this took a bit of finding! But it goes like a dream now, yeah...