Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PAL Tuner in NZ?

PAL Tuner in NZ?

Hi,

Has anybody got the pal tuner working in NZ?

I've done the hardware mods but cannot get the local channels to add in.

If I redo guided setup selecting antenna then the second dial up fails/hangs. (the first is just fine )

I suspect that the antenna option is not compatible with dial up / internal modem? if not anybody know whats the workaround proceedure?

regds
    Grant

Don't think emulator is setup for antenna input (my assumption 'tho)
    You'll have to apply some manual intervention

have a look at Tim's NZ FAQ the Setting an A/V Source bit..
    US Series 1 Philips TiVo
    nzTiVo-Philips-Installer.img
    200Gb HDD 8Mb Cache, Turbonet
    Slices: Sky Digital, Auckland
    Hacks: TyServer, Manual Record & TivoTitle, TiVoX 1.5

how much did the tuner set you back?

A$30 for the tuner, A$30 for the stereo decoder veroboard special A$10 P&P, from Darren King.

a warning tho - desoldering a couple of pins off the fine pitch QFP SMT IC is not for the faint hearted... you need to know what you're doing with a v.small soldering iron.

Talking

Eeek!

Think I'll pass on the mod for now and stick to composite

Call me old fashioned, if it aint broke I aint gonna fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by zollymonsta
    Eeek!

Think I'll pass on the mod for now and stick to composite

Call me old fashioned, if it aint broke I aint gonna fix it.
    We think alike, you and I...

hey - the aussies do it - how hard can it be! ... at least with a soldering iron I know its gonna stay fixed - unlike those damn bits n bytes...

- Ed have you got any comment on the emulator compatiblity question? ie is the tuner not going to work because the emulator only loads the data for sky channels anyway? or some such jiggery pokery ( technical term)

In Aus they redo guided setup with the antenna option and the channels appear. Is the emulator only compatible with Cable = composite input?

(I'm yet to find a way to address the internal tuner to create it as a source - so can't see how to add it in after doing a cable setup)

Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    hey - the aussies do it - how hard can it be! ... at least with a soldering iron I know its gonna stay fixed - unlike those damn bits n bytes...

- Ed have you got any comment on the emulator compatiblity question? ie is the tuner not going to work because the emulator only loads the data for sky channels anyway? or some such jiggery pokery ( technical term)

In Aus they redo guided setup with the antenna option and the channels appear. Is the emulator only compatible with Cable = composite input?

(I'm yet to find a way to address the internal tuner to create it as a source - so can't see how to add it in after doing a cable setup)

Well, WAG mode here, but I do think I'd have to create a new headend slice for it. Presumably the channels would also have different IDs than the Sky data as well, so t/j's data wouldn't work... I suspect if you follow the manual add source instructions (either from Tim's faq or the OzTivo site) you'll get the source going, but data is a whole 'nother issue. Assuming all of this is accurate, and if Jaidev wants to create a FTA data slice, I'm willing to create another headend slice for the emulator. Should be fairly easy (but pointless unless somebody's creating data slices).

the slices have had fta data in them. eg fta-tv, fta-tv2, etc. not sure whether they are in your headend or not, would have thought so as Jaidev has a PAL tuner?

Quote Originally Posted by timmy
    the slices have had fta data in them. eg fta-tv, fta-tv2, etc. not sure whether they are in your headend or not, would have thought so as Jaidev has a PAL tuner?
    I just took a look, if it's there it's not obvious to me. But that doesn't mean it's not there; could just mean I don't know what to look for. I would think that it would be done with two seperate headends, but again I've not looked into it previously. Jaidev would likely be the real authority here.