Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with connecting

Problems with connecting

So I had been pretty happy that 2 weeks ago I had been able to setup my Tivo. I just put in the turbonet card and setup a static IP with my router gateway number and connected the wireless bridge and away I went. I even updated the time without too much problems after been directed as to what to do. But, since Thursday or so I lost connection to my tivo - no Tivo web, no telnet and my router was showing that the MAC address of the turbonet card was no longer active.
    So, I checked out the wireless bridge using a notebook and it was solid. Oh, and another thing that was happening was my recording (red) light would come on but no recording was going on.
    So, not having a serial cable, I took out the drive and checked my network configuration with the Oztivo install disk running and it was setup correct and unremarkable. So, I then went and re-imaged the drive (I can always replace recordings). Well, although I can see the turbonet MaC on the network it continues to say failed to connect to service (last night and this morning). Is Minnie down? And if not, do people far more knowledgable than me have any suggestions?
    Other things - I also reseated the turbonet card and it also has always had the light on. Do i need to get a serial cable thingy? And will this definately tell me the problem? My hesitancy with doing this is that it worked for a period of time without issues but now not.
    Any help appreciated.
    Justin

TivoHD w/1tb "update"
    TiVo SVR2000 unit w/200Gb Seagate, Turbonetcard & Dlink-810 wireless bridge, FTA Strong STB. Latest image 1.6.###

you have not mentioned whether you have tivoweb or telnet access back after the re-image.

If you do, then follow the troubleshooting guide @ NetworkingHowto#Configuration_and_Diagnostics

Peter
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Sorry. No, not able to telnet in - but I am also not getting past the first step of the test dial with guided setup. Should I be able to telnet in when guided setup has only just begun?
    Justin

TivoHD w/1tb "update"
    TiVo SVR2000 unit w/200Gb Seagate, Turbonetcard & Dlink-810 wireless bridge, FTA Strong STB. Latest image 1.6.###

Quote Originally Posted by JustinD
    Should I be able to telnet in when guided setup has only just begun?
    Yes.

Is it possible to bypass the wireless bridge and try connecting the TiVo directly to the router ? Even though you have tested the bridge with your laptop, it would be worth removing any extra hops.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Good point!

I directly connected with no joy - no telnet, no ping, no tivoweb - nothing.
    I even removed the Turbonet card and untwisted the ties on the motherboard so when I refitted the card it was fitting as best it could - but still no joy.

The light on the card is on and if I attempt to ping the tivo the light actually flashes when it comes back as "timed out", which leads me to think it is getting something.
    Justin

TivoHD w/1tb "update"

Do you think I should also try to reimage but make the tivo work with DHCP and not static?

I didn't want to do this as I had setup tytool and also remote access with TivoWeb and orenosp and tunnelling though another PC on my home network
    Justin

TivoHD w/1tb "update"

I even removed the Turbonet card and untwisted the ties on the motherboard so when I refitted the card it was fitting as best it could - but still no joy.
    When you installed the card, did you remove the centre pin on the front foot, or at least trim it. If the pin is there it can cause issues with the card not fitting properly.

Do you think I should also try to reimage but make the tivo work with DHCP and not static?
    It wouldn't hurt, but doubt it would help.

Did you leave the ipaddress on boot message enabled ? can you remember before you re-imaged if the information given matched what you had set.

At this point I think it would be best to buy/build a serial cable, so that we can at least access you box via telnet and find out what is going on. This way we should be able to confirm software or turbonet fault.

From what you have said so far, it does seem like it may be an actual hardware fault with the turbonet or how it has been physically installed. Most software issues should have been resolved by the re-image.

Swapping the cat5 cable also wouldn't hurt, even though you have a link light

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash
    When you installed the card, did you remove the centre pin on the front foot, or at least trim it. If the pin is there it can cause issues with the card not fitting properly.
    I didn't, but I am not sure what pin you mean. Do you mean the twist ties or something else? Is there somewhere I can see a picture of what you mean?

Did you leave the ipaddress on boot message enabled ? can you remember before you re-imaged if the information given matched what you had set.
    Yes. And when I attempted to get communications it came back with the IP setup that I had configured. With the last re-imaging I haven't got that message as I didn't get that far, but I did check out the IP setup by linking the HD on my PC and checking it with the OzTivo Knoppix disk image utilitiy.
    At this point I think it would be best to buy/build a serial cable, so that we can at least access you box via telnet and find out what is going on. This way we should be able to confirm software or turbonet fault.
    I will get one on Monday if I can. I will purchase one as I wouldn't want to create another point of weakness through me building one and screwing it up.
    EDIT: I will see if I can order one from Darren King ~ some delay compared to getting from a store (assuming I can find one) but then I know I will have something that works and a little longer lead.

Swapping the cat5 cable also wouldn't hurt, even though you have a link light
    I also have swapped the Cat5 cable during this testing.
    The only thing I would like to resolve is the pin thing before I get the cable.

thanks for answering my questions
    Last edited by JustinD; 02-04-2006 at 07:30 AM.
    Justin

TivoHD w/1tb "update"

I didn't, but I am not sure what pin you mean. Do you mean the twist ties or something else? Is there somewhere I can see a picture of what you mean?
    This picture shows the pin, just pry it out.

You may even want to remove the whole foot at this point just to be sure.

Once you have the turbonet fully seated it should look like this.

you can the replace the foot and either glue it in place or just cut some off the tip so it does not touch the turbonet connector.

Peter

thanks for the pictures. Did the pin removal - didn't help.
    But I purchased the cable from Darren (thanks for letting me get the cable on a Sunday!)
    I am now working through the SerialPPP on XP article to enable the connection. From there I don't know what I am meant to do
    Justin

TivoHD w/1tb "update"