Thread: Remotes

Remotes

Can the series 1 remote we all use control 2 tivos? I done some digging around and see some people talking about pressing pause and other numbers but I can't tell if they are talking about series 1 remotes.

There is also a remote with a switch on it to control 2 tivos likes this one http://www.weaknees.com/images/tivo_...umax_s2_sa.jpg but it says series 2 so I dunno if it will work on a series 1.

Also I read on another forum that the sony remote has a limited learning function is this correct?

I know there is a setup to run 2 tivos with 2 remotes but I only want to use 1 remote. Why? Well not to control 2 tivos. I have made a Mythtv box to store the all the stuff I get of the tivo (and the kids DVDs) and it would be neat to have the one remote control both.

If not does anyone have a series 2 remote for sale (the one with the switch)?

Matt.

Edit

I found the info for the sony learning remote:

You don't need a code for you T-60's remote to be able to control the vol & mute on your B & K receiver. The T-60's remote has a hidden learning feature, here's how:

1. press and hold TV POWER & TIVO, until the light remains lit.
    2. enter 0-9-7-5, light will blink a couple of times and go out
    3. press either TV POWER, VOL +, VOL -, or MUTE, light will blink rapidly
    4. press and hold a key on the donor remote, the light on the tivo remote will go out when fully learned.
    5. press CLEAR

Is the T-60 the same animal we have here with the series 1?
    Last edited by daggo; 01-04-2006 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Update

The Sony remote is unique to the Sony units and is very different internally to the Philips ones. In fact on virgin TiVo's the Sony remote will not control Philips TiVo's and Philips remotes will not control Sony TiVo's. The Oztivo image is universal and has both codes loaded, so either remote will work with either TiVo.

The Philips remotes are not programable, but they do contain many codes for operating different brands of TV's and multiple TiVo's.

The S2 remote that includes the DVR switch works fine with S1 TiVo's.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Thanks Peter. I have got 2 tivos. A Philips and a Sony. I'll give the Sony remote a go as I am using the Philips at the moment and I'll get one of those S2 remotes from the states.

Do you have a list of magic commands to make the Sony remote do other stuff?

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by daggo
    Do you have a list of magic commands to make the Sony remote do other stuff?
    No sorry, The Sony's I have worked with all used Philips remotes. Try Googling.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

I have a sony remote that I did do the learning thing you described. That was long ago, though.
    I have found it much easier to integrate the tivo and remotes by using the MX-500. Before I had:
    - Panasonic DVD remote
    - Sony Receiver remote
    - TV remote
    - Strong STB remote
    - Tivo remote

Needless to say that this is way too many remotes. The MX-500 is great as I can setup all the other remotes on the one. Further, you can create "phantom" devices that enable you to setup additional macros on the favourites for the Tivo. The center disc thing is also better than the tivo remote for general use. My 2c
    Justin

TivoHD w/1tb "update"
    TiVo SVR2000 unit w/200Gb Seagate, Turbonetcard & Dlink-810 wireless bridge, FTA Strong STB. Latest image 1.6.###

What is the point of the little switch on the series 3 remote DVR1,2

on either setting it controls both my Series 1 Tivo and retail Series 3 tivo.

What would be nice is if the switch is in the "1" setting it controlled the Series 1 box and if the switch is in the "2" setting it controlled the series 3 retail box.

is there any way to do this ??

Charles

Yep, that's exactly what it's for

Have a look at our howto for Controlling Two TiVos In the Same Room.

Peter.

Thankyou. Perfect.