Thread: Oz TiVo + Foxtel Question

Oz TiVo + Foxtel Question

hey everyone!

im new to the OzTiVo forums so...hi =)

ever since i saw tivo on sex and the city while my sister was watching it....ive wanted it! it looks so awesome!
    ive always want something to record tv on so i was gonna use MCE but its complicated so i wished there was tivo in aus....then i find oztivo.net and my prayers are answered! i have been reading the site over and over again...im just amazed at the work.

but i have question.....i would want to use it with foxtel now.....do i need some sort of foxtel epg on my computer or does tivo do all the work when i am setting up the guide?
    also...can i just use the serial cable all the time? coz im only 15 and havent got enough money for and turbonet card lol =P but if i do need one i will get one coz i want tivo so much =P

hope to hear from u all soon =)

cya guys

Hi and welcome. Good to see someone excited about TiVo!

i would want to use it with foxtel now.....do i need some sort of foxtel epg on my computer or does tivo do all the work when i am setting up the guide?
    The EPG is generated by a bunch of hard working volunteers and your TiVo will download it. More volunteers = better guide data

also...can i just use the serial cable all the time? coz im only 15 and havent got enough money for and turbonet card lol
    Good to see you are an ambitious "normal kinda guy". Yes you can, however it is a bit more complex than having a turbonet card in the TiVo but not impossible. The section for you to look at for that info is here: http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...erialPPPWithXP

What kind of money were you looking at spending for a TiVo anyway if you don't mind me asking?
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

thanks for the reply darren =D
    that is awesome news bout the epg. i thought i would have had to make my own =P and dw i want to help heaps! i was uploading some guide data today actually and hope to do heaps more =)
    also awesome news bout the serial cable! i love challanges so this will be a good one =)
    i was gonna spend like....$85 AUS. coz im gonna buy from George of ebay (his price being $49.95 US) and then ship at $35 (it might take 3 months but im going away for 2 so its all good lol)
    sound like a good deal?

again thanks for the reply...i really wanna get active in the tivo community =D

cya =)

[EDIT] sorry bout this...i just have another question =) i was just wondering...my computer is no where near where tivo would be so....could i do like....the setup and the daily calls through my laptop? like everyday i plug my lappy in and do the daily call...then i can just unplug? i have a laptop and it has a com port which is used for plugging into projectors and stuff...would that still work?

thanks =P [/EDIT]

Quote Originally Posted by Darren King
    Hi and welcome. Good to see someone excited about TiVo!

The EPG is generated by a bunch of hard working volunteers and your TiVo will download it. More volunteers = better guide data

Good to see you are an ambitious "normal kinda guy". Yes you can, however it is a bit more complex than having a turbonet card in the TiVo but not impossible. The section for you to look at for that info is here: http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...erialPPPWithXP

What kind of money were you looking at spending for a TiVo anyway if you don't mind me asking?
    Last edited by normal_kinda_guy; 25-03-2006 at 11:31 PM.

i was gonna spend like....$85 AUS. coz im gonna buy from George of ebay (his price being $49.95 US) and then ship at $35 (it might take 3 months but im going away for 2 so its all good lol)
    $49.95USD plus $35USD = $84.95USD which actually equals $120AUD. Go to www.xe.com/ucc and have a look.

And I don't think George ships surface anyway unless he has changed his policy. He usually ships USPS Global Priority EMS only. Have you actually asked him?

my computer is no where near where tivo would be so....could i do like....the setup and the daily calls through my laptop? like everyday i plug my lappy in and do the daily call...then i can just unplug?
    You can do that provided the laptop is connected to the internet when you do. For initial guided setup it will work and then for daily guide data updates you are going to have to go into TiVoWEB (the web browser interface) and tell the TiVo to do a daily call manually when you have the laptop connected.
    Darren King

yeah $120 should be fine (hopefully lol) and yeah i have asked him and he said if its requested then he will do it =)

ill probably do the laptop thing coz it would be easier then trying to get a cable to the other computer =P

can u get these serial cables at jaycar?

thanks for the info

cya

OK then no problems. Just making sure. As you already know be prepared for a long wait however!

And no you cannot get these serial cables at Jaycar unless you intend on just buying the bits and making your own which will probably cost as much as just buying the complete thing from other sources. George does sell them and so do I. Send me an email and I may be able to help you out here as it appears we are local.
    Darren King

Don't forget you may need to budget for a Hard drive also, as Items that price don't usually include a hard drive. Also check for what accessories are included, you will need at least a remote and maybe an IR blaster cable. If not included, i'm sure Darren can help locally. but be prepared for these costs in your budget.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

thanks peter =D
    darren is helping me heaps....we've been emailing each other all day talking about it =P

thanks again
    cyA

You're in good hands then

Peter
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Thanks!
    Darren King