PDA

View Full Version : Max HDD

daveohara
20-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Hi Gang!

Noobie to Tivo (just got one the other day)... About to got HDD shopping.

Seems as though ppl are getting 200GB sized HDD.
Is there any reason why I should follow suit or can I get bigger?

PLs let me know any "Gottchas" too...

Darren King
20-03-2006, 03:39 PM
You can go as big as you want to go. Most people used to choose 200GB as this used to be the "sweet spot" for pricing, but that has now been replaced with 250GB and probably soon maybe 300GB.

Gotchas? That depends on how much research and reading you have done. I'm assuming that you have gone to the oztivo website and read the basics on how to image hard disks and what you require to get a TiVo up and running? If not then that is your starting point. My site (link in my signature) may be of some assistance too with some of the basic questions.

daveohara
20-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Thanks Darren, Yeah I been doing heaps of resesarch (hence why I'm getting a TiVo rather than building a HTPC :D ) ... The only Gotchas that freak me out is the fact that I'm a Windows man and Tivos are all in Unix!!! But I'll be right I think... BTW Congrads on the Boy... I got one on it's way in June (another reason for getting tivo!!!)
Might actually be getting your help with Hardware (Wireless Card) Seeing as you are in Melb it's only 8 hours down the road... Adelaide here... :)

Dave

Darren King
20-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Hi Dave

The only Gotchas that freak me out is the fact that I'm a Windows man and Tivos are all in Unix!!!

Although they run a Linux core this is about as far as it goes as the actual TiVo application (called "myworld") is a proprietary based (and closed) program which is also why the software guys cannot fully customise it for Australia. Apart from the basic linux commands (very closely related to DOS) there is no need to touch the command line interface anyway, so you should be safe.

Might actually be getting your help with Hardware (Wireless Card)
Sorry, but I've never been able so supply any wireless cards or cachecards. Only the odd wired Turbonet equivalent in the past but these have dried up too as stated on my website here: http://www.members.westnet.com.au/kingey1971/tivo/accessories.htm#networking

At any rate I don't recommend a wireless card (called "airnet") as I also briefly mention in that link due to their limitations and the lack of compatible PCMCIA cards with the right chip in them that you need to work with the Airnet. Do yourself a favour and get a Turbonet and a wireless bridge (also known as a "wireless game adaptor"). Of course if you REALLY want an airnet then you can still get them, but be forewarned all the same.

BTW Congrads on the Boy... I got one on it's way in June (another reason for getting tivo!!!)
Thanks! All the best for your baby too :)

petestrash
21-03-2006, 12:52 AM
Just adding to what Darren has said, we are currently discussing a possible issue with Seagate 7200.9 drives on the mailing list. All the previous 7200.x drives have been fine and even recommended because they are quiet and have a 5 year warranty.

But using twin 7200.9's seems to fail at boot. We are currently working through the problem, but at this early stage don't have a solution. Single 7200.9's are fine, only twin drives cause the issue.

Also from memory if you plan on using larger than 250GB drive(s) then you may have to manually partition the drive as I don't think the current installer will handle 300Gb + drives.

Peter.