PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a Series 2 .. a few q's

1downunder
19-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Hey,

Because I have a set top box that does ntsc output, and a tv that accepts ntsc input, I want to get a series two tivo and hook up my STB and Foxtel to it.. I have a few questions

1. Can the foxtel digital box (made by pace) output a ntsc output?

2. I take it the series 2 box's already have 2 av inputs available?

3. Is it possible to utilize schedualed recording if I have these two sources (stb and fox) in via the av inputs. As in, will the ir blaster be able to change channels for both the stb and fox?

4. (a general question here) If I am recording from one av input source, can I watch the other av input source?

5. are there any limitations I should be aware of before buying a series two besides the ntsc problem (I won't be using the internal tuner either). The main reason I want a tivo is for schedualed recordings - trying to avoid having to get foxtel IQ

Finally, is it possible to network the series two tivo's and watch videos from my pc on it (e.g. divx, mp3's)

Any info much apprec.

Cheers,
Zach

Darren King
20-03-2006, 08:28 AM
Hi Zach and welcome

1. Can the foxtel digital box (made by pace) output a ntsc output?
Doubtful. The firmware in any of these boxes is locked down tight to avoid "playing" and because it is programmed for Australia that would 99.999% mean PAL only

2. I take it the series 2 box's already have 2 av inputs available?
No. One A/V only. Just like a stock series 1 without the 2nd A/V input mod.

3. Is it possible to utilize schedualed recording if I have these two sources (stb and fox) in via the av inputs. As in, will the ir blaster be able to change channels for both the stb and fox?
Doubtful. As in answer #2 there is only one A/V input anyway. Whether or not a hardware hack like Series 1 is possible to expand A/V inputs is possible has not been explored yet as it is a pointless exercise at present until more pressing issues are sorted (if they ever are, that is)

4. (a general question here) If I am recording from one av input source, can I watch the other av input source?
No. There is only one set of encoder and decoder chips. One recording and one playback stream at a time only.

5. are there any limitations I should be aware of before buying a series two besides the ntsc problem (I won't be using the internal tuner either). The main reason I want a tivo is for schedualed recordings - trying to avoid having to get foxtel IQ
Yes. Lots. Given stating your reasons for wanting a TiVo the question has to be asked why you are considering a Series 2 when they are nothing more than a very experimental box at this point in time? If the answer is "for when PAL is worked out" then you are most likely going to be waiting a very long time, if it ever is worked out. My advice would be to get a Series 1 and be done with it.

Finally, is it possible to network the series two tivo's and watch videos from my pc on it (e.g. divx, mp3's)
You can network TiVo's (be it a S1 or S2), but Series 1 is not capable of MP3 or DiVx, and there is very little development work on this for S2 at present. S2 does have something called HMO but this requires software that is not easily hackable and therefore useless for use here with a non subscribed box. If you want to play MP3 or DiVx then get an Xbox and install XBMC.

zollymonsta
20-03-2006, 08:43 AM
Stick with getting a series 1. There is a high likelyhood (as Darren states above) that PAL will never work on Series 2.

NTSC is a poorer quality than PAL, so why use it?

BenMorgan
08-12-2006, 09:13 AM
NTSC is a poorer quality than PAL, so why use it?

From a hazy memory of GCSE Physics isn't it because of the early limitations on the number of lines that a CRT could handle doing at 60hz? Basically with a 50Hz power supply you can do more lines because you get more time in between cycles? The US's legacy is 60Hz AC supply, the UK and other PAL nations it's 50Hz?

petestrash
08-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Apart from all the points Darren has listed, have you actually tried the NTSC output from your STB box. Lots of them say they can output NTSC, but because of the missing frames during conversion most do not have an acceptable picture. This is especially noticeable in panning shots where the picture becomes very jumpy.

Have you read HowToStartHackingAnS2 (http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Howto/HowToStartHackingAnS2) this is guide we put together. It is not a complete walkthrough, more a collection of notes we made along the way.

If you think you have the technical abilities (good linux skills), feel free to give it a try. But there is no support from the group with issues using the S2's so you'll be on your own.

Peter.