PDA

View Full Version : Help me!!!!!!!!!

tonys
11-03-2006, 07:23 AM
We've had occasional problems with our Tivo/Pace box not quite changing channels correctly, so this morning I used TivoWeb to go into PALGS mode, to change the remote speed, hoping that one setting slower would improve reliability. All was going well, I was in the middle of testing new settings when the Tivo suddenly rebooted itself! It then came up with a green screen saying 'a serious problem has occurred, leave alone for 3 hours, connected to the phone line, while it attempts to repair itself'
Arrggghh! Obviously it's still set to reboot in PALGS mode, it can't get a phone line connection, I can't get a network connection via Tivoweb or Putty, does this mean a complete reimage? I sincerely hope not, beyond my capabilities!

tonys
11-03-2006, 07:44 AM
Ignore the above!!!!! Did as I was told, ie left it alone, and it's sorted itself out! Including rebooting back to normal PAL mode! This box keeps surprising me!

Darren King
11-03-2006, 11:52 AM
Glad to hear it righted itself.

does this mean a complete reimage? I sincerely hope not, beyond my capabilities!

A reimage is about the simplest thing with owning a TiVo! It is a bootable CD installer and you just follow the menu prompts.

tonys
14-03-2006, 07:28 PM
After the problems mentioned above, I checked the TVlog file and noticed the 'normal' clock warped messages, so did a touch timestamp and forced a reindex. All is fine, season passes recording OK etc, but seem to have lost endpadding. Checked the endpaad log file and it ends on Saturday with the message 'too many errors, stopping' Can I do anything to reactivate endpad?

Tuatara
15-03-2006, 11:17 AM
On the command line, run something like

endpadplus.tcl 1 10 -auto &

and it should start up again. (That's to start recording one minute before time, and finish ten minutes after.) If that doesn't work, a reboot should start endpadplus again.

Cheers
Matt

tonys
15-03-2006, 11:25 AM
Thanks Matt, did a reboot and it's started up just fine!
If I want to run the endpad.tcl to alter the amount of pad time, do I need to change the file system to read/write first?

Tuatara
15-03-2006, 11:28 AM
But the best place to do that anyway is in the startup scripts, specifically in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author , and you would need to be in RW mode to edit that file.

tonys
15-03-2006, 11:38 AM
btw, does endpad work with negative numbers? In my experience, most, if not all programmes start and end late, it would be handy to get Tivo to start recording say 2 minutes late, which would then allow an extra 2 minutes on the previous programme. It's not a problem if the two programmes are on the same channel, but frustrating if not!

zollymonsta
15-03-2006, 12:07 PM
That's when you need to buy a second tivo, to record the other channel ;)

thomson
15-03-2006, 02:23 PM
btw, does endpad work with negative numbers? In my experience, most, if not all programmes start and end late, it would be handy to get Tivo to start recording say 2 minutes late, which would then allow an extra 2 minutes on the previous programme. It's not a problem if the two programmes are on the same channel, but frustrating if not!

You want the latest version of endpad (not endpadplus). This is what Kevin Lentin had to say about it: "Negative padding does EXACTLY what you want it to do. I have 5 minute pre-padding, 10 minute post-padding and 2 minute negative-padding and if a show is on its own with nothing around it, it will record from -5 to +10 and get 15 minutes extra. ie the pre-padding happens. If two shows are back-to-back, normally the post-padding of the first and the pre-padding of the second get dropped. With negative padding, that 5 minutes gets dropped but instead the second show starts 2 minutes late to let the first run over a bit."

The current version is here (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=286631)
Or more directly here (endpad-1.5.0.zip) (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/maxwells.daemon/tivo/downloads/endpad-1.5.0.zip)

As well as negative padding, you can configure it to pad differently depending on the time, the channel or the program (or a combination of all 3).

tonys
15-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Sounds to be just what I want..........only problem is I don't know how to add files to Tivo! Limits of my current ability are modifying emulator port via Putty and sorting out the occasional warped clock issue. How do I go about 'swapping' endpadplus for the current version of endpad? Simple, step by step instructions for the hard of thinking please!

thomson
16-03-2006, 05:53 AM
Sounds to be just what I want..........only problem is I don't know how to add files to Tivo!

It's never too late to learn :) You need to have a look at getting an FTP Client (I use FileZilla). Then you should be able to transfer the files from your desktop to the Tivo. Once that is done you will just need to alter one of the startup scripts (either /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author) so that it runs "endpad -s 5 -e 15 -n 2" instead of "endpadplus". There is a whole bunch of information on the Wiki (http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/FAQ). Most packages (including endpad) also come with a README file that will give you a lot of information about the utility, and usually how to install it.