PDA

View Full Version : US channels

chriskq
09-03-2006, 10:01 AM
So forgive my complete noobishness for this short Question (and first post here): IS there any way of using tivo to get american tv channels (thru adsl /cable)? Either paying for it (i'd do it!) or any other way?
Im interested in starting to use a pvr. but cant see the point of trying to get a tivo to work just for normal Australian tv channels (i dont hav fox)
help us out pls peoples.

zollymonsta
09-03-2006, 10:56 AM
very doubtful. the processor only runs at 50mhz and the network interface would take forever to download files. Plus, they would have to be in the tivo proprietry format.

Darren King
09-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Like Zollymonsta says: no.

If you want to do that then you are better off with a PC for downloading and an Xbox running XBMC that can handle the different file formats (ie divx, etc) which a TiVo will NEVER be able to do due to the lack of processor speed.

petestrash
09-03-2006, 03:39 PM
It probably best thinking of TiVo as a tapeless VCR.

It will record anything that you feed it through the A/V inputs or if you have installed a PAL Tuner anything your aerial can pickup.

Even if you feed a satellite reciever into it's inputs, you would not receive shows direct from the US as their satelites are over the horizon and not watchable from Australia.

The way most people currently watch US shows in advance is either by Buying DVD's from overseas or using a PC to download episodes using bittorrent.

Peter.

chriskq
10-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Thanks all for ur help.
With regards to hooking up an xbox to view US channels using (a what now?).. anyone kno of any info guides to try and setting this up. I would love to be able to do that.
I have my xbox modded with a 200gig hard drive.

petestrash
10-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Google is your friend http://www.google.com.au/search?q=xbox+xbmc

the first hit http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/ will explain all.

In this case the suggestion to use XBMC has nothing to do with TiVo, it is just used as a deivice to playback a file from a PC to your TV. You can also do the same direct from PC without the Xbox if you video card has a TV out.

Peter.