PDA

View Full Version : No daily call & G/S fails on port 8000. Help!

Yeti
08-03-2006, 04:28 PM
I have a non-networked Philips OzTivo 1.3 image
Port 8000 was working well. Then Feb 28 it wasn't. No guide data/no dialup connection.

This set of forums details the tclient.conf setting: (note -not on a network - remote part of the house - isp info incl.)
127:isp:210.48.107.133:8000:username:password:

Did this, and invoked Guided Setup. Disaster!!!

When the "Setup Call" scene attempts to connect it dials, attempts to connect, then responds with "failed. service not answering."

The tivo is now semi-stuck in guided setup, has no channel info, and is a useful as a pile of dog.... Not even any Live TV.

What is going on?
And what port will allow me to finish guided setup?
8000 isn't workin for me. What will?

DJC
08-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Refer this (http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=926) thread for details... (of what needed to be done prior to the change)

Unsure why port 8000 isn't working a good number of GS's have been done against it.

Unless you do a clear and delete you will probably not be able to GS against 8000 anyway. Its a new and different headend.

Use port 80 to retain your existing configuration.

meanderingmac
11-03-2006, 03:25 PM
I'm in the same boat - Philips Oztivo 3.0 V1. No guide data - no dial up connection.

Have done a clear and delete (sob!) and a GS. Gets to the point where it dials okay, but then it cannot connect - connection failed, service not available (sob, sob!).

To get out of the GS mode I reboot and thru Firefox reset to PAL standard, reboot again to get up and running without the GS. Have tried it with 80 and 8000. Tried tongue out and to the left, tounge out and to the right. Still connection failed (wail!).

Note that I have to unplug the Tivo to take it downstairs to connect to the PC each time - eyes starting to wander involantarily towards the splitting axe.

Refered to the "this" thread for details - but it doesn't seem related.

It does not actually connect... so doesn't seem to be related to the content of the data once connected.

What am I (and Yeti) doing wrong that no one else is doing. Could the modem(s) be crook on mine and Yetis? How to test this (tried changing to "check for dial tone", then test phone connection - had no problem dialing, but failed on the connection)?

Clearly I (and Yeti) have been Tivoless for some time now. Voices coming from the direction of the splitting axe...

DJC
11-03-2006, 04:54 PM
Course of action

(i) Have you guys done a 'clear and delete EVERYTHING' ... presume you have because having a legacy configured tivo on the new emulator is a problem.

Once you have got to that stage things should work like a fresh install.

I presume you have run DialConfig127US.tcl and then DialPrefixModem.tcl to restore MFS settings and setup the necessary dialing parameters.

(ii) Does the modem fail to dial the internet totally? (you say thats the problem) never used the modem myself... any modem users that can help here? if so perhaps option (iii) below is the quickest move to remove/verify a setup issue.

If, however, it does connect have you tried gs against 8000 and 80 with a clear and delete everything prior... (when swapping between ports, they are now incompatible, 8000 is the address for new installs, but maybe there is an issue with dialup? can't see its related though).

(iii) Last resort is to bite the bullet, download the nz image from here (ftp://orac.caffeine.co.nz/install_images) and reimage. You got it working once, that will at least eliminate the less than likely possibility of modem failure.

meanderingmac
12-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Cheers for the prompt response DJC.

Yes, did a clear everything, but no to running DialConfig127US.tcl and then DialPrefixModem.tcl.

I didn't set up the Tivo originally, so am feeling my way around a bit. Did loadguides originally for a year or two, then ran a GS to set up for the modem in early Feb (which was fabulous while it worked).

The only stuff I have attempted before this on Tivo was timesets, loadguides, and changing the emulator address using an FTP.

Can you direct me to details on how to run these files? This is on Telnet, yes?

Many thanks in advance.....

DJC
12-03-2006, 09:12 AM
Yes, you'll need to get to a shell on the unit. If you have a network telnet it, if not then you'll need to use a serial cable which will give you a shell prompt.

Then type

cd /hack/bin
./DialConfig127US.tcl
./DialPrefixModem.tcl (this one shouldn't need to be run but for completeness)

The objective is to get your tivo looking at the 127 line (after the C&DE) in tclient so its got the dialing info.

if you want to look at other scripts type

ls

Another way to handle this is to ensure your /etc/oztivo.conf file has the line "modem=1" and reboot the tivo.

I think we need to get someone on this thread who has setup using a modem before...

meanderingmac
12-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Ok...ran
cd /hack/bin
./DialConfig127US.tcl

Seemed to be happy with that.
Said "no such command to" ./DialPrefixModem.tcl. Connected via FTP. There was no file under the directory for that (but DialConfig127US.tcl was there).

Also there was no /etc/oztivo.conf file.

After running the ./DialConfig127US.tcl I reset to Pal-to-GS, rebooted and ran thru the GS. Did the ususal thing - failed connection.
Ran thru again but listened to the phone line - modem is definitely dialing but after the very first number the phone beeps (pick up your phone and dial 2 - thats the beep, beep, beep, beep, pause, beep, beep, beep, pause- not a valid number to start dialing with).

Going back one step in the GS there is the option to add a prefix. The default is ",#401". I changed this to 0 and ran through the dial up while listening on the phone, and got a telecom service woman (021).
She didn't know where minnie was - hehe.
So what is Tivo supposed to be dialing? Is it 210.48.107.133:80 - because that hound won't hunt on my phone.

Its a 3.0 image, and according to the instructions there is not need for the ",#401" prefix - thats for the 2.5.5.

What is the prefix required?
Seems odd that I don't have the ./DialPrefixModem.tcl - is this the missing piece?
Where can I get this? Alternatively can I put the required prefix in at the GS stage as you would for Callminder?

We are getting closer to the truth (Skully?)

thomson
12-03-2006, 11:26 AM
What is the prefix required?

If you have your TiVo connected via the network port and have a broadband (cable/ADSL) internet setup then you should be fine with a guided setup.

If you have a dialup internet connection then you can use the internal modem to do this. You should read this post (http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Network/DialingPrefixExplained) that explains the Dialing Prefix, and then may wish to have a look at this post (http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Network/NetworkingWithBuiltinModem) to help configure your modem correctly. You need to ensure you have the phone number of your ISP before the IP address of the emulator.

meanderingmac
12-03-2006, 11:42 AM
The penny has dropped - I changed from Broadband to wireless broadband (don't ask - its been a long few weeks, don't ya just love rural phone exchanges) the same day as you guys changed the 8000 emulator, etc. So I assumed the probleem was there.

The wireless broadband does not go through the phone system, but via network card direct - and so has not had internet access - seems obvious now - doh.

How about you Yeti? Recently changed ISP's?

Thanks DJC and Thomson - sorry 'bout that.