PDA

View Full Version : Tivo Interface

dyrplq
19-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Is any work being done on changing the interface of the Tivo itself (or is this impossible)? I would love to see threading of episodes for example.

Phil

jaidev
20-02-2006, 09:04 PM
Near impossible, unless you know MFS internals..
Version 4.0 of the TiVo software has folders, and the newer versions episode grouping, all this only available on Series 2+ units.. which don't work here..

There is a tivoweb module (http://www.ljay.org.uk/tivoweb/) that allows you to sort the now playing list into folders etc however only visible in tivoweb..

The only sort options you have on the Now Playing list is a code, I don't think you need backdoors to work this..
press the following on your remote..

(S)low, Zer(O), (R)ecord, (T)humbs up (Spells SORT :P )

A ribbon appears at the bottom of the screen, which gives you three different Sort options.

There is also a script hack which allows you to change the recoding date/time on the now playing list thus reordering the list, more of an advance thing as there is no tivoweb module for it.. Do a search for it..

thomson
21-02-2006, 06:20 AM
Is any work being done on changing the interface of the Tivo itself (or is this impossible)?

Practically impossible. The guts of the TiVo interface is the tivoapp binary. This is a binary of which no source code is available and reverse engineering it would be a little against the grain (illegal). Essentially you would have to rewrite the complete interface from scratch - a very large job for no pay... not something that anyone is ever likely to do.

dyrplq
21-02-2006, 06:46 AM
Practically impossible. The guts of the TiVo interface is the tivoapp binary. This is a binary of which no source code is available and reverse engineering it would be a little against the grain (illegal). Essentially you would have to rewrite the complete interface from scratch - a very large job for no pay... not something that anyone is ever likely to do.

I figured as much. I really just wanted to group or at least sort the Now Playing view and I've discovered how to do that via a back door code so all is well in Tivo land :)