PDA

View Full Version : Misinterpreted arrow buttons

LSpitz
19-02-2006, 08:18 AM
Often when I press the right arrow button I get down arrow response. Other mix-ups in arrow direction are common, too. There is obviously something flaky here, since if I persist, I can eventually get the proper behaviour from the arrow buttons.

Anyone else see this? Any solutions out there?

Larry

Darren King
19-02-2006, 09:34 AM
Hi Larry

No I've never seen this. Have you run any software tweaks that may be the cause? Have you tried another remote and get the same thing happen? What happens if you image up another test hard disk? Do you get the same result?

LSpitz
19-02-2006, 04:35 PM
I have not knowingly run any software that should have changed the behaviour of the arrow buttons. I only have one remote and I have neither the spare disk nor the inclination to load up a new one. I have had enough trouble getting this one to work as well as it does and I really don't want to go through that again without a very good reason.

Larry

Darren King
19-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Oh, OK then. One of my suggestions would have eliminated possibilities but if those don't suit then I guess you are pretty stuck.

Good luck.

LSpitz
20-02-2006, 02:14 PM
I was hoping someone had seen the same symptoms and could tell me how to solve the problem.

Darren King
20-02-2006, 05:50 PM
One thing you can try. It's a long shot because this is supposed to be either a black or white "remote works" or "remote does not work" scenario:

Press down and hold the TiVo and Pause buttons at the same time. The red LED on the remote will go steady on after around three seconds. Then release those keys and with the red LED still glowing press the number zero key. The red LED will blink three times. This will restore the remote to the factory default settings.

Worth a shot. But if that fails then I can honestly say that in a conservative figure of seeing over 300 TiVo's I have not seen your problem, nor heard of anyone else having this issue. That leads to either one of three things: Remote, Software or Motherboard - in that order.

Given you don't have another remote or motherboard that only leaves you to try another hard disk with a vanilla image and see if that shows any different. Any hard disk from 2GB and upwards will do. I do understand that sometimes imaging can be a pain and you have the current hard disk how you like it which is why I never suggest to do it to the current drive and always suggest using a test hard drive. Once software has been proven or ruled out this dictates whether any software fixes or complete re-install is what is required to your main hard disk.

Failing that I can supply you with another remote which is not such a bad move if your one and only remote gets damaged or lost one day as TiVo's without them are useless unless you like using TiVoWEB to control it :) If you don't want one from me then there are plenty of people on USA eBay who sell them too.

I'll leave it up to you to decide what you feel is best for you.

Cheers

edit: Oh there is one other thing: You have not got any of those "Compact Flourescent" lamps nearby, or anything else that may cause IR interference? If not then the above text stands.

thomson
20-02-2006, 06:33 PM
Often when I press the right arrow button I get down arrow response. Other mix-ups in arrow direction are common, too. There is obviously something flaky here, since if I persist, I can eventually get the proper behaviour from the arrow buttons.

I would say that it would be worthwhile getting another remote. I am guessing the contacts on the round directional pad is a little warn, or the contacts are not quite clean. Of course this will also happen if you are not holding the remote straight. [I am of course assuming that you never get a left arrow response when hitting the right arrow, and just that you are getting a neighbouring response.]

petestrash
20-02-2006, 11:14 PM
I would say that it would be worthwhile getting another remote. I am guessing the contacts on the round directional pad is a little warn, or the contacts are not quite clean. Of course this will also happen if you are not holding the remote straight. [I am of course assuming that you never get a left arrow response when hitting the right arrow, and just that you are getting a neighbouring response.]

My wife has similar problems, with remotes that always work fine for me...

In our case it's just inaccurate pressing on the border between two directions or pressing too close to middle and not on the edge.

Peter.