PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent No Audio problem

Wiked
12-02-2006, 07:23 PM
Hi Guys,

My 2nd Tivo that Darren so kindly modified [PAL Tuner & Network card] for me has a problem.

About every 10th thing it tapes on FTA TV has absolutely NO sound at all.

Also if say I notice this half way through the recording and then stop the recording and restart the sound comes back.

It NEVER has this problem watching live TV. Only when recording about 10% of the time.

Very strange as my other one is perfect.

Darren King
12-02-2006, 11:57 PM
That's weird. If possible have you tried swapping the hard disks over and seeing if this swaps the problem? If that is not possible can/have you tried another hard disk in the affected TiVo?

I'd like to rule out a software problem (or hard disk) before anything else.

Also is this "second TiVo" one of the two you got me to BOTH modify (ie one for you and one for your sister) or are you saying it is only ONE of yours you got modified by me and you have another without modification?

And has this been a problem since it was first returned to you in early December?

Wiked
13-02-2006, 12:30 AM
Hi Darren,

Yes you are correct it was one of those and yes my sister is currently using it to see if she loves it before handing over some cash...lol.

It has had the problem since she started using it so but as it was only 10% of the time I told her to just put up with it. But as she is losing sound on some favourite shows etc from time to time I needed to ask you what you thought about it.

I only have a spare 10GB HDD so swapping the 300's might be the way to go. This way we can both still record what we want while the swap is in effect. Then just upload the shows to the PC when we swap back.

I will reply with the results which could take around 7 days.

Thanks

petestrash
21-02-2006, 02:42 AM
Any news on the drive swap?

Also what type of network card do you have, some early cachecards can also cause this problem.

Peter

Wiked
21-02-2006, 10:47 AM
Haven't had a chance to swap them as yet. On one Tivo Darren supplied the Netword card and on the other it was a Turbonet. I am not sure which is in what Tivo until I do the swap.

Hopefully it happens soon and I will keep you posted

Darren King
21-02-2006, 04:25 PM
If I supplied the network card it would be an X-Factor which is 100% Turbonet compatible. No need to change any settings.

Wiked
09-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Sorry for the delay in replying as I have ben buy but I found the problem.

It was just the RF cable going into the tivo PAL tuner. Either the cable was a little old and maybe had a hairline crack somewhere and when the cats run behind the TV etc so would knock the cable and then audio would be lost until you change channels etc.

Anyway I gave my sister a new RF cable some cable ties and it hasn't had that problem anymore. I also told her to kick the cats bum when they go behind the cabinet...lol

petestrash
09-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Strange you didn't lose picture also, but happy you figured it out.

Peter.

Darren King
09-05-2006, 02:08 PM
No you can have a situation where the sound will cut out due to no detection of a valid sound standard with the Mark 2 stereo mod. In all cases where people have noted this it has been traced to an antenna or cabling fault being the culprit - just like in this case.

Good to hear it was sorted.