PDA

View Full Version : Phillips HR212 sound cuts out constantly!!!

AlaskaDude
26-01-2006, 03:52 PM
I've just finished moding this 212 model and it works flawlessly connected up to a Foxtel Pace box with Digital cable. However right around the 50 min point ( give or take 10 min) and the sounds just cuts out! It happens while recording and while watching live as well! I've researched Stateside forums on the subject and it is a common problem. However I have not seen a solution anywhere for it. Any ideas from the Gurus on the Tivo?
Thanks
and happy Australia day!

Darren King
26-01-2006, 05:23 PM
I've just finished moding this 212 model

What mods exactly have you done? Hardware? Software? Do you lose ALL sound or do you still have the TiVo sound effects? If you rewind a little while watching live TV do you hear the sound again up to the point where you notice it gone? What are the Stateside Forums? Where does it say this is a "common problem"?

As per the hint on my website If you are running a totally stock OzTiVo image with no software tweaks and this problem is happening then it is most likely going to be a hardware related issue. If you have installed your own software modifications on the standard OzTiVo setup then I suggest reimageing again and running without any software tweaks and see what happens.

AlaskaDude
26-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Sorry about that I should of went more into detail on my original post. I have the latest Phillips HDR212 Oztivo image on two hard drives both 160GB each. I added an extra fan to deal with the heat buildup as well. I have a Airnet adapter with a Network card connected to two exterior Ant. I get all the system sounds, and I get the sound back as soon as I reboot or switch the channels back and forth. Its just a pain having many of my recordings ruined by the sound failing halfway through the program. The Video is fine its just the sound. I have researched extensively and a lot of people in the States figure its either the encoder overloaded with the larger drives many people are adding on, a heat issue, or its just chips going bad, however it seems to be a very widespread problem! I have a few more Tivo's on the way from the states so I can use them to try some things out between different models. Has anyone had this problem that you have heard of? Tivo has been replacing a lot of units because of it in the States but because I've bought my units second hand I'm not going to get that luxury!
Thanks for you help.
Cheers

Darren King
27-01-2006, 07:01 AM
Remove the Airnet and try again. If that works then it is the type of PCMCIA wireless card you have not being 100% compatible.

I would still like a reference if possible to this supposive "common fault" you are referring to. Being the hardware repair person in Australia I have not seen anything to support what you are saying in regards to Series 1 TiVo's suffering this as a "common problem".

AlaskaDude
27-01-2006, 08:50 AM
Heres a few links to all the same audio problems that I'm going through with my HDR212

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=273442&highlight=Audio+cuts+off[/URL]

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=235781

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=238066&highlight=no+sound

Darren King
27-01-2006, 09:58 AM
Heres a few links to all the same audio problems that I'm going through with my HDR212

All of these links are related to the Series 2 TiVo. Nothing to do with Series 1 like you have as it is totally different hardware AND software.

Have you removed the Airnet yet and tried again?

AlaskaDude
30-01-2006, 04:49 AM
Yeah I removed the Airnet and everything but now I can't get any channels to change. I also noticed in some of my recordings that when the audio dropped off the video became very blocky and distorted as well! It must be something in the Tivo as anything captured before the audio drops off is fine and clear.

AlaskaDude
30-01-2006, 04:54 AM
Yes some of the those links are for Series2 but some of the earlier ones are for series 1, it seems to be something that is working across both series. I still can't figure it out, everything works fine, I connect fine, my wireless set up works fine with card in my airnet but its just after about 40-50 mins I lose the sound and the video starts getting distorted and blocky.
I'm waiting for my other series 1 tivos to get in from the States to test if its hardware on just this unit or something in the Tivo drive image.
Thanks

AlaskaDude
06-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Well Mr. King after re-imaging the disks four times and trying a mirade of different configs I got it to work. I just switched to Turbonet. The Airnet adaptor or the Card I had with it just have issues with the Tivo I have. Has anyone seen what this list is for Network cards to use with the Airnet adapter? I used a card that has the Prism 2.5 chip so I don't know the problem is. Anyhow its all good now in the end, and the Airnet card may go up on Ebay for sale this week!!

petestrash
07-02-2006, 01:59 AM
I have also seen the same faults with some TiVo's when using earlier <V2.2 cachecards. Switching to a turbonet usually fixes it. The underlying fault in the TiVo remains, just does not show any symptoms.

I haven't bothered to check if it's caused by the PSU or MB on those TiVo's with the issues.

Peter.

zollymonsta
08-02-2006, 07:33 AM
This is the same fault I am getting on my tivo.. Haven't been able to pin it down to any one thing.

Funny thing is it comes for a day or two then doesn't re-appear for a few months. Mind you it might well be happening more often, but my cron job reboot at 4am each day is clearing the problem. :)

Darren King
08-02-2006, 09:14 AM
Well Mr. King after re-imaging the disks four times and trying a mirade of different configs I got it to work. I just switched to Turbonet.

Good stuff. That's why I said to unplug the Airnet card and see what happens, although I had no idea why you had other hassles when you did and I was awaiting your response upon getting the second TiVo but good to hear you persisted regardless, but you got there in the end so well done!

If you really want wireless then go and buy a wireless bridge (or wireless game adaptor) as the Turbonet+Wireless bridge is the "de facto" standard these days due to the range of cards compatible with the airnet getting scarce, or having problems, as you have found out. Yes you can have a Prisim chipset and STILL have problems. Airnet's are far from perfect for many reasons which is why they prove unpopular and this is why the Turbonet + Wireless adaptor configuration being the more common option these days.

Has anyone seen what this list is for Network cards to use with the Airnet adapter? I used a card that has the Prism 2.5 chip so I don't know the problem is.

Yep. It's all on the OzTIVo website, and a simple search with the criteria wireless;sound brings up not only what I was suggesting (and why sometimes a Prisim 2.5 still won't work), but also the list of cards:

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Hintsortips/WiFiCardsThatWorkWithAirNet

For what it's worth I use the Linksys WPC11 cards no problems, and I have had experience with a Prisim 2.5 exhibiting the exact same problems as you have said and also what was said on the website link.

Hope that helps