PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Ethernet Bridge

AlaskaDude
22-01-2006, 03:38 PM
I'm still trying to track down the best model. Does it HAVE to be a b and not a g wireless bridge? For my whole wireless network is 2.4 G and B is heaps slower unless for some reason TivoWeb requires it?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have airnet as well just in case my turbonet isn't such a good option with a wireless bridge.

thomson
23-01-2006, 08:07 AM
I'm still trying to track down the best model. Does it HAVE to be a b and not a g wireless bridge?
The wireless bridge you use can be anything that is compatible with your wireless router/access point. If you are running 802.11g for all other equipment then you are better off getting an 802.11g bridge. It should also be noted that bridges by the same manufacturer are likely to provide a better wireless range, so for instance, if you are running a Linksys WRT54G router, then you may wish to consider something along the lines of a Linksys WET54G bridge.

If you are willing to mess around with the software on the routers then it is possible to convert some routers into also acting like a bridge... this is usually done because the cost of a 1 port bridge use to be pretty close to that of a 4 port router :)

Of course using the faster 802.11g protocol versus the 802.11b protocol will not make a difference to the speed of the network interface on the Tivo because that runs particularly slow :(