PDA

View Full Version : Tivo will not boot

RenJar
05-01-2006, 05:21 PM
Tivo wont boot after new install.

I am having some issue with my S1 philips Tivo not booting at all. It just sits at the NTSC loading image.

I have re imaged it to the latest version and still nothing is happening. I am wondering if there is someone that can help me?

I would be happy to pay someone to have a look at it.

Darren King
05-01-2006, 07:07 PM
If it is just sitting on the NTSC "Bootprom" screen then it is not reading the hard disk. Are you 100% sure you imaged it correctly and maybe tried another PC as there have been reports of come computers not doing it properly? Is the TiVo spinning up the hard disk at all (does it make *ANY* sounds)? Have you tried re-seating all the cables, especially the power connector on the power supply as they sometimes work loose?

Failing all that yes I look at and repair TiVo's. You can contact me via my website (link in my signature)

zollymonsta
05-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Is the hard disk set to 'master'?

Maybe even, silly as it sounds, you have forgotten to connect either the power adapter to the hard disk, the IDE cable, or both. :)

RenJar
07-01-2006, 10:57 AM
The Tivo is sitting on the NTSC screen that says "Your recorder is starting up. Please wait a moment." The receiving light (green) is on solid and the recording light (red) is always off.

I can hear the hard disk being accessed for the first 20 seconds then it does not access it again. This unit was working before then stopped when I changed the MAC address (I think I did something wrong).

The hard drive is set to master and the computer I am using is the same one I built the unit with the first time (and second time). I have unplugged all the power connectors and plugged them back in again (good idea!). I have even attempting booting it with out the NIC.

I am loading the HDRx12-20051128.iso with a chace card that does not have any ram. I have not changed any of the default setting of then selecting the Turbonet NIC.

Is it correct that you use the Turbonet if you dont have any ram?

Darren King
07-01-2006, 04:10 PM
No that is not correct. You have to pick cachecard if you have a cachecard even if you have no RAM installed. Turbonet and Cachecard are NOT the same drivers.

If the hard disk is sounding like it is being accessed but then stops this does sound like an imaging problem rather than a hardware issue.

You can boot a TiVo without the network card installed with no problems so this is not the issue.

petestrash
13-01-2006, 03:21 AM
As Darren has said it does sound like a drive/image issue.

When you imaged the drive, did you still have a windows drive attached ?

If you boot into windows by mistake with a TiVo drive attached it will kill the TiVo image and won't boot.

The hard drive is set to master and the computer I am using is the same one I built the unit with the first time (and second time). I have unplugged all the power connectors and plugged them back in again (good idea!). I have even attempting booting it with out the NIC.

Also make sure the IDE cable is still firmly seated onto the mainboard.

Peter