PDA

View Full Version : Brought my Tivo home, what next?

celo
15-12-2005, 07:51 AM
OK. I brought my Tivo from USA to Turkey.

I have read some but really I got even more confused. Can someone tell me what I will do step by step here? Please with all the details. I don't want to write what I know not to confuse you and myself. Can someone explain it for me?

Example:

1- Download this
2- Do this
3- Do that
etc.

Turkey uses PAL system.

Please, I want to set my Tivo up to be able use it here.

Thanks!

zollymonsta
15-12-2005, 08:53 AM
There are lots of 'how to' documents available on the OzTiVo website.
May I suggest you read through them. :)

Here are links to the ones you will need to read:

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Install/PrepareTiVoDisk

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Install/GuidedSetup30

ZollyMonsta

celo
15-12-2005, 12:20 PM
Let me ask this at least.

Is being in Turkey make somethings impossible for me such as Guide, calls, or other things?

celo
15-12-2005, 12:34 PM
Ok. I am downloading this: http://minnie.tuhs.org/TiVo/files/images/iso/ozTiVo_installer_HDRX12-20050524.iso

Then this:

http://minnie.tuhs.org/TiVo/files/images/iso/oztivo_bootCD.iso

What is this?

http://minnie.tuhs.org/TiVo/files/images/iso/hdr112.30.oztivo_emulator.release1.3.iso

Is this ISO have the PAL trick in it?

Man! This sites are very confusing at least for me. Or I am little stupid!

celo
15-12-2005, 01:12 PM
I hope I will not be the only one who writes to this topic.

So, I read something like this.

If you are going to receive TV via a PayTV (cable or sat), a digital STB, a VCR, you do not need the tuner mod done as TiVo will accept PAL inputs, by the one factory fitted AV input without any changes, or you can elect to have two A/V inputs by way of the "second audio mod" as also described in pictures and words on Darren's page.

Does it mean, I don't have to do anything at all about PAL? I will use it with satellite receiver BUT I thought Tivo still needs to be modified to be able to receive PAL signal.

The satellite can also give NTSC and the TV can accept NTSC but the source (TV stations) airs in PAL, so Tivo has to be PAL, correct?

celo
15-12-2005, 01:43 PM
What is this site?

http://minnie.tuhs.org/TiVo/files/images/

What is ISO what is image?

I downloaded this one from here: ozTiVo_HDRX12_3.0-20050524.mfs

What do I need it for?

petestrash
15-12-2005, 01:45 PM
Ok. I am downloading this: http://minnie.tuhs.org/TiVo/files/images/iso/ozTiVo_installer_HDRX12-20050524.iso

This is the file you need to start.

http://minnie.tuhs.org/TiVo/files/images/iso/oztivo_bootCD.iso

You do not need this file, as the 20050524 file makes a bootable ISO.

What is this? http://minnie.tuhs.org/TiVo/files/images/iso/hdr112.30.oztivo_emulator.release1.3.iso

this is the old version which has been superseeded by the 20050524 version. It is no longer available for download.

Is this ISO have the PAL trick in it? The 20050524 version has all the current files to make your TiVo work in PAL mode.

You will be able to use your TiVo as a digital recorder, but it will not have any guide data.

Does it mean, I don't have to do anything at all about PAL? I will use it with satellite receiver BUT I thought Tivo still needs to be modified to be able to receive PAL signal.

The TiVo does not need to have any hardware modification to be used with a PAL source from your Satellite box, as long as you use the RCA or S-Video inputs.

The satellite can also give NTSC and the TV can accept NTSC but the source (TV stations) airs in PAL, so Tivo has to be PAL, correct?

You have the choice of either using our software and recording in PAL or keep the original software and record in NTSC. You cannot do both. It depends on what your Satellite box is outputing.

Peter.

celo
15-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Again questions.

I know I am being annoying because I even find myself annoying but I want to do this thing!

Is there any way I can get away using the Tivo without TV Guide and/or no calls for guide, updates, etc.?

I am sorry for being such an idiot.

celo
15-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Oooo thank you! I get it better now!

Okay SO if you say

You have the choice of either using our software and recording in PAL or keep the original software and record in NTSC. You cannot do both. It depends on what your Satellite box is outputing.

Can I just use the Tivo as it is right now since when I switch my satellite reciever to NTSC and since the TV automatically detects NTSC, I can watch it with no problems.

However, when I reset the Tivo, I cannot pass the setup process as it has to dial for guide, etc.

Thanks!

celo
15-12-2005, 01:56 PM
I am so sorry for multiple questions but here it goes again.

I used to have a ReplayTV which I loved and it had also network card in it. But it was NTSC. I asked at the time and was told that there is no way I could use the unit in a country that has PAL. So, was that wrong information? If it was, I will die because I loved that unit so much :(

Channels air in PAL. Satellite receiver can switch to all TV systems. TV can show all systems, PAL, NTSC, etc. Would I be able to record and watch with Replay TV then?

Please someone say NO!

petestrash
15-12-2005, 02:20 PM
Is there any way I can get away using the Tivo without TV Guide and/or no calls for guide, updates, etc.?

Yes, you can use it without any network connections once it has been setup.

But you do not seem to have much Linux experience, so you will not be able to setup the basics without making at least two calls to TiVo or an overseas emulator.

Can I just use the Tivo as it is right now since when I switch my satellite reciever to NTSC and since the TV automatically detects NTSC, I can watch it with no problems.

Yes.

However, when I reset the Tivo, I cannot pass the setup process as it has to dial for guide, etc.

You should not have reset the TiVo! you are now stuck in Guided Setup until you connect to TiVo. I don't know a way around not doing guided setup once it has been started on a non-hacked box.

You now need to connect to TiVo to complete the setup using US details. If you want to use NTSC.

I used to have a ReplayTV which I loved and it had also network card in it. But it was NTSC. I asked at the time and was told that there is no way I could use the unit in a country that has PAL. So, was that wrong information? If it was, I will die because I loved that unit so much :)

Channels air in PAL. Satellite receiver can switch to all TV systems. TV can show all systems, PAL, NTSC, etc. Would I be able to record and watch with Replay TV then?

This is not the right group to be asking these questions as we do not use Replay TV. Personally I don't know of any PAL hack for Replay TV and I do not know if ReplayTV can be used as a digital recorder without paying for thier service.

Peter

celo
16-12-2005, 12:06 AM
Thank you!

You should not have reset the TiVo! you are now stuck in Guided Setup until you connect to TiVo. I don't know a way around not doing guided setup once it has been started on a non-hacked box.

You now need to connect to TiVo to complete the setup using US details. If you want to use NTSC.Peter

Well, I have two of them. One I did reset one I did not. However, I still cannot make the non-reset one work. Tivo does not detect any signal and I don't know how to make it work.

petestrash
16-12-2005, 02:35 AM
Well, I have two of them. One I did reset one I did not. However, I still cannot make the non-reset one work. Tivo does not detect any signal and I don't know how to make it work.

If it's a US TiVo, then the input must be NTSC.

You may also need to change the selected input. Use the recorder & phone setup menu to adjust which input is used. Most 2nd hand TiVos tend to be setup for RF input which won't help you if you are using S-Video or the RCA's.

Peter

celo
16-12-2005, 04:34 AM
Okay! The damn thing (sorry for my language) did not work yesterday! Well, let's say stupid me could not make it work! Well, now it works! However, since I did reset one of the Tivos, I cannot pass the calling process. I hope there is a way to bypass it because I am sure it will cost me a lot of money to call US from Tivo not to mention disconnects! Well, if not then I will use it as doorstopper!

Thank you so much petestrash! I REALLY appreciate your replies.

Darren King
16-12-2005, 07:07 AM
Making daily calls to the USA is not required or recommended, and because you are not a resident of the USA I doubt it would work given your TiVo is not in their serviced area any more. Also be mindful that given (as far as I know) there is no hobbyists and therefore no local TiVo server in Turkey you will only at best have a TiVo you can manually set to record programs as there will be no guide data available.

Oztivo runs a server that takes care of the basic PAL setup that and you are quite welcome to use it to make the necessary setup steps to get your TiVo operational in PAL mode. Given this server is accessed over the internet it will be only at most a local call, however to use it you must either use one of three ways to access the data:

1. (easiest): If you have a broadband internet connection and also have a network card in the TiVo you simply connect the TiVo up to your router and away it goes. If you do not have a network card these can be purchased locally from either Petestrash or myself, or there are people in the USA who sell them too.

2. (intermediate): You can use a serial cable and your computer to either manually load up the data, or alternatively set it up for what is called "PPP over serial". If you do not have the serial cable I sell them. Information on how to set the TiVo up for this mode is available here: http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Network/SerialPPPWithXP

3. (hardest): If you only have dialup modem type internet you can use the internal modem in the TiVo however most internet providers this does not work properly. More information here: http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Network/NetworkingWithBuiltinModem

Above all else, please remember that TiVo outside of the USA and UK is a totally experimental hobby device. They are in no way simply a "plug and play" item so therefore some work is required on the owner's part (that means you) to get one operational. Many people do it with a little patience and it does sound like you are not far off getting yours going too.

petestrash
16-12-2005, 08:25 AM
Making daily calls to the USA is not required or recommended, and because you are not a resident of the USA I doubt it would work given your TiVo is not in their serviced area any more.

We are not talking about daily calls, just the 2 calls to get his tivo back out of GS and let him use an NTSC source. Last time I tried, you can happily complete GS using an unsubscribed TiVo. This would let him use the TiVo as a dumb VCR like the other one he is currently using.

As I mentioned before, since your box has not been hacked and there is no telnet available, I am unaware of any simple method to bypass the guided setup once it has been started.

Unfortunately some of the options Darren has suggested are unavailable with the unhacked US software. There is no easy way of changing the IP the box calls to point towards the Australian Emulator and you cannot use option 2 for calling via ppp over serial as it is not installed. Even option 3 to use the Modem is not an option as it will not dial the correct numbers for your local ISP.

Most of these issues can be resolved by removing the drive and installing it into a linux machine. But the process is complicated and I am not able to point you towards any step by step instuctions.

Option 1 is possible, but you will need to buy a network card and require you to remove the drive and install the driver for it.

If you do decide to set it up for PAL then install the OzTiVo image and use option 2. This is the easiest any doesn't cost you any extra money.

Peter.

celo
16-12-2005, 10:10 AM
Guys thanks very much!

You know what I made the call and it succeded with the unit I did reset! I thought this call would be too long but no (Replay TV would be longer) I was wrong. I picked the option having satellite only and it made the phone call, it imported, etc. and both my Tivos work! I am using NTSC but it works so why bother with something that is working. I doubt the picture quality will be noticable with PAL!

I am so upset that I sold me Replay TV (lifetime activated) because I was told it would not work here. Now, seeing Tivo does without any hacks, Replay would too (only needed voltage converter). It was a great unit with network but oh well, this is good for now!

One thing though, I cannot get the Tivo work with S-video only composite. For some reason the Panny plasma and the Sony TV will show it in black & white. Composite works fine though.

Thanks again guys!

P.S. I know this is only for Tivo but Replay 5040 (what I had) is an awesome unit too. I would recommend you to try it guessing it would work in NTSC like Tivo.

celo
16-12-2005, 10:48 AM
Not that I am too concerned but it would be nice to do. I have this unknown brand satellite receiver (Next & Next Star) and of course it is not in the list of the Tivo for IR codes. Is there anyway I can put these into Tivo IF I learn what the codes are for the receiver?

petestrash
16-12-2005, 01:26 PM
All the methods we use to capture IR codes require you to upload and download files from your TiVo and access your box via Telnet. You do not have the files required to do this with an unhacked box.

If you do want to pull the drive out and add these files, check on www.tivocommunity.com or www.dealdatabase.com for details on how to install these applications.

Peter.

Darren King
16-12-2005, 03:56 PM
All the methods we use to capture IR codes require you to upload and download files from your TiVo and access your box via Telnet. You do not have the files required to do this with an unhacked box.

That's pretty much the reason why I suggested that maybe the OzTiVo image would be a good solution as it has a lot of "features" not on the original TiVo image - and works in PAL :)

But on the other hand to use the OzTiVo image means no more standard modem dialup to the USA for setting the TiVo up - even if it is only ever going to make two initial setup calls and then nothing else.

There are two other options:

1. Celo is more than welcome to send across a hard disk to someone who can load it with the OzTiVo image and set it up for just a generic A/V input (I'm willing to do this if required)

2. There are some old documents laying around that explain how to use the pre-emulator images and set them up for generic A/V input without the need for making any setup calls (I still have a TiVo running with this exact configuration) which can either be used on one of the older images or adapted to work with a later image.

celo
17-12-2005, 12:18 AM
I think I will leave this, at least for now. Everything seems to be in working condition. I don't think I will have a problem with these because I used them for couple months like this when I was in US. Thank you very much guys and thanks for the offer to load the images but this will cost me some money. I just wish I brought my Replay because that thing has almost all the features I want except IR code thing. It is too late now and I don't want to spend extra to buy it, shipped, etc. Thanks again!

celo
17-12-2005, 07:35 AM
Just when I thought everything was working fine, I realized that when watching sports the screen freezes (not even a second but it bothers you watching like that) but you can't really tell while watching other things. This is because the satellite receiver is switched to NTSC to work with Tivo because when I switch the receiver to PAL, everything is normal even watching sports. Now, either I don't use Tivo while watching sports or I open my Tivo for the hacked firmware for PAL. OR I buy another satellite receiver that does not do that but I doubt there is any. Looks like I will have to open one my Tivos :)

Looks like I will stick around for a while :)

zollymonsta
17-12-2005, 11:48 PM
Looks like you should just cut to the chase, open up your tivo's, install a network card in each and load the oztivo image. Save yourself a lot of stress. If you are unfamiliar with linux based command line stuff then get help from a friend who can help. It's not really too difficult.

Cheers,
ZollyMonsta

petestrash
18-12-2005, 12:39 AM
Just when I thought everything was working fine, I realized that when watching sports the screen freezes (not even a second but it bothers you watching like that) but you can't really tell while watching other things. This is because the satellite receiver is switched to NTSC to work with Tivo because when I switch the receiver to PAL, everything is normal even watching sports.

This is a issue with the frame rate conversion in the STB. You will see the effect at it's worst when the camera pans or move sideways across a screen.

Another way around this is to use a digital systems convertor (not Analog) to convert the PAL from the STB to NTSC for the TiVo. Digital system convertors will add the missing fields making the picture normal.

Peter.

celo
18-12-2005, 01:23 AM
That's what I thought too. I think it is the 50hz vs. 60hz. problem. I was going to buy a digital converter when I was leaving US but then I thought I would do the PAL hack. Then it started to work with NTSC, I thought it did.

I don't know if you tell the network card for connecting to the servers but I don't want to mess with it because guide is not important to me.

If I hack the unit with PAL, will I have to call the servers for guide? I don't have to with the original Tivo now.

Looks like I will need to open the Tivo but if the hacked version needs to call, then I will not mess with it. I am happy using the unit as a dum VCR. Then I will just get a digital converter but that will cost quite a bit money.

celo
21-12-2005, 04:41 PM
Is it possible just to do the PAL hack only while keepin everything the way it is?