PDA

View Full Version : Totally new to Tivo... need help please...Adelaide

Andaza
27-11-2005, 09:01 AM
Hello to the Tivo world.

I recently received a Tivo from some friends in the US as a present. Until they had mentioned Tivo, I had never even heard of it, so excuse my bluntness or blatant lack of knowledge on it's operation.

Using the Oz Tivo website, they set up the Tivo before sending it to me, but as you may probably guess by my posting here... not all has gone to plan.

I don't have foxtel digital, just local FTA TV here in Adelaide, but I do have bigpond cable internet. My Tivo is linked via gaming adapter, to my wireless router.

So far we have managed to get the Tivo to download the program guide data, make successful calls and so fourth. My problem ends with displaying
live TV. I have access to web Tivo functioning and seem to be able to access everyhting except live tv.

I probably haven't explained things enough for any direct help from this post, but I am really in need of some help. Can anyone assist me please?

Thanks in advance.
Andaza

zollymonsta
27-11-2005, 06:14 PM
Hi There...

By the sounds of it, I'm assuming you don't have the tuner mod done. If you do not have Foxtel, or some other STB to plug into the line in jacks at the back, you won't be able to see any piccies.

Darren King can do a tuner mod for you (no doubt he will post here) which will mean you can then plug your antenna off the roof into your tivo.

The stock-standard internal tuner on the TiVo is NTSC, so unless it's modified to a PAL tuner, it will not work with an aerial on the roof.

ZollyMonsta.

petestrash
28-11-2005, 04:35 PM
Adding to what Zolly has said,

To receive the pictures on a US tivo that has not had a Pal tuner installed, you need some sort of signal source.

The main source options for FTA TV are Digital Set-top Box, VCR, or Satellite Receiver.

For long term usage you will want the TiVo to be able to control this source so it can change channels when it needs to record something.

To make your life simpler choose a device that already has the remote codes loaded into your TiVo from irdatabase.cgi (http://minnie.tuhs.org/tivo-bin/irdatabase.cgi).

If your device is not listed, you may still be able to capture new codes for it, but it can be a little painful.

Peter.

Darren King
28-11-2005, 09:31 PM
I can't add any more than what Zolly and Pete have mentioned. I can't help with setting up for use with a VCR as I've never tried but more than happy to put a PAL tuner in if required. It will make life a lot easier but not trying to pressure anyone into anything they don't want to do.