PDA

View Full Version : Apple Airport Express & TiVo

pbags
14-10-2005, 10:54 AM
Hi,
I'm currently running my TiVo via a Netgear DG834G Wireless router (Tivo is plugged directly into it though). I have an Airport Express, which sits right next to my tivo box (it's currently being used only to stream music to my stereo system) - I was hoping to be able to plug TiVo into the Airport Express and connect wirelessly to my Router.

Has anyone had any success or know if this is even possible?

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks,
P.

petestrash
14-10-2005, 11:13 AM
Don't know about the airport express specifically, but in general TiVo can be made to work across any wireless bridge. So if the airport is setup as a bridge it should work.

Peter.

lagomatic
14-10-2005, 04:41 PM
You can but it has to be set up like this.

Depending on how you have it set up, the Ethernet port can function as a LAN port (defined as either simple bridging or sharing your Internet connection via network address translation) or a WAN port (connecting to your broadband Internet service provider or upstream router). However, it never acts as both simultaneously in the way that the original AirPort Base Station (Graphite) can. When the AirPort Express is using network address translation, the Ethernet port acts as a WAN port. When it is set up as a WDS remote station, it can act as a LAN port.

Hope this helps.

lagomatic
14-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Some more stuff from the apple site. May help.

AirPort Express: What is client mode?

When talking about a Wi-Fi network, a "client" is simply something that joins the network, like your computer. A client could also be a wireless print server or wireless audio device.

AirPort Express can function as a full-fledged wireless access point, or it can join an existing network just to offer its wireless print server and audio features. When AirPort Express does that, it is in "client mode."

In client mode AirPort Express does not offer itself as a wireless access point or use its Ethernet port. As a wireless client, AirPort Express is simply a destination for AirTunes and print jobs. It can join both 802.11b and 802.11g networks, including those using security features such as WEP and WPA-PSK.

Wireless Distribution System is another way for AirPort Express to join an existing Wi-Fi network. AirPort Express uses its Ethernet port and can offer its wireless access point in WDS mode, but it requires that your other access points be AirPort Extreme and/or AirPort Express. Client mode's advantage is that you can join the networks of non-Apple access points and earlier AirPort base stations ("Dual Ethernet" and "Graphite" models).

Tip: Other Wi-Fi product manufacturers have different names for "client mode." These include "client station mode," "AP client mode," "wireless client mode", and "STA mode." Whenever one of these modes is required, just remember that "client mode" is the same thing.

pbags
14-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Ok Thanks for the tips - will see if I can get it working.

Cheers,
P.

lagomatic
14-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Just as a side note I have 2 airport expresses. The first one is attached to the modem and establishes the wireless broadband network. The second express is set up to join & extend the wireless network and is attached to my tivo.

This is the key as it enables the ethernet port on the second express.

In fact i've got a basic ethernet hub attached to the second express which enables me to have my tivo & xbox (xbox live) connected to the internet.

petestrash
14-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Ok, so I guess with the Airport Express you have the choice of music or TiVo, but not both unless a 2nd unit is purchased.

You might be able to get away with just using one if you could write a script to change the configuration of the Airport Express say at 5:00am each day and then back again at 5:30am. and run a cron on the tivo to call home each day at say 5:05am. Just thinking aloud here... or just spend the extra $120-150 for a 2nd bridge.

Peter.

pbags
14-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Just as a side note I have 2 airport expresses. The first one is attached to the modem and establishes the wireless broadband network. The second express is set up to join & extend the wireless network and is attached to my tivo.

This is the key as it enables the ethernet port on the second express.

In fact i've got a basic ethernet hub attached to the second express which enables me to have my tivo & xbox (xbox live) connected to the internet.

Ahh ok, I get it now. I have tried in the past (pre tivo) to get the express to extend my wireless connection (and make use of the ethernet port)- but haven't had much luck. macosxhints.com has a couple of articles on how to do so without an airport base station (ie my netgear dg834g wireless router) - but I have never managed to get it working. (and only have one AP express)
Looks like I have to get used to that clunky ethernet cable stretching around the living room...