PDA

View Full Version : Sky going down next week

clive
14-10-2005, 06:28 AM
Just a heads up, not sure if this will cause us any grief or not. At work, we are a Sky business customer. Just received a letter from our Sky account manager advising of a 4 hour total service outage from 0200 - ~0600 on Wednesday 19th October (ie next Wednesday in the wee hours).

Reason given is: "essential decoder software upgrade". Following which it is expected that each decoder will need to be "power reset" to "enable this new software".

Sky are staffing up for an inundation of calls to their 0800, but I haven't noticed any mass-market customer warnings yet (and they are still listing full service through that timeslice in their web EPG). Anybody with a Sky backdoor know what they're up to? Their new service is drawing near ...

zollymonsta
14-10-2005, 07:02 AM
This is gonna affect Saturn too apparently (ie: no sky channels during the same time, for obvious reasons).

jaidev
14-10-2005, 09:49 AM
Sky are staffing up for an inundation of calls to their 0800, but I haven't noticed any mass-market customer warnings yet (and they are still listing full service through that timeslice in their web EPG). Anybody with a Sky backdoor know what they're up to? Their new service is drawing near ...

Yea, it's in the Oct Sky watch, bottom of page 17/18 or somewhere around there...
one of two things, either the much awaited Component output via Scart update, or an EPG software update?...

Let hope it doesn't affect our data.... :P

clive
14-10-2005, 11:47 AM
Yea, it's in the Oct Sky watch, bottom of page 17/18 or somewhere around there ...... highly prominent then :(

one of two things, either the much awaited Component output via Scart update, or an EPG software update?...... or the "I now know there's a TiVo plugged into me ... service terminated" upgrade :eek:

Let hope it doesn't affect our data.... :P[cross fingers]... so long as it's decoder only and not part of some broader platform change[/cross fingers]

jaidev
14-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Hmmm well now they claim that there is major fault with the component out upgrade of the boxes, so you won't see anything for the existing boxes till next year. Quietly I think it's so they can sell more Skyplus boxes, since if Component out was available on the current one who'd upgrade!
So it can't be that then...

Might be an update that allows the boxes to work with the enhanced Skyplus EPG?

jaidev
18-10-2005, 12:49 PM
Happening tonight
Check your TiVo guide Sky channels... Thursday 1.30am
Will say..... Channel currently unavailable due to a system upgrade - service will resume at 6.00 am