PDA

View Full Version : Howto change ip address 0.0.0.0 to 192.168.....

johnhedge
25-09-2005, 06:33 PM
Hi,

I've finally got round to setting up my Tivo. Wife is o/s and kids with mother.

Problem/challenge:

My Tivo reports an IP address of 0.0.0.0 in the message generated with a reboot. The MAC address is 00:0B:AD:99:55:23. I don't know if there's a way of using the MAC address but telnet doesn't seem to like 0.0.0.0 and http://0.0.0.0 doesn't either.

My Tivo came with an RJ45 cable sticking out from the back and Darren pronounce everything was working aok. I've tried a direct connection to my laptop via both the RJ45 and RJ45 connected to a crossover cable. Neither worked. I cannot connect the crossover directly without taking the Tivo apart which I'd rather avoid if possibe at this stage.

Q.

How do I change the Tivo's IP address (static) so that I can connect it to my network?

TIA

John

PS I have browsed the forum and Googled. If I've missed the relevant thread, I'm sorry. Please point it out and I'll read it.

zollymonsta
25-09-2005, 06:53 PM
If you telnet in and type

nic_config_tivo

you can set a static IP in there.

Also you can slightly change your tivo's mac address (for the network card) if it's causing problems.

zollymonsta
25-09-2005, 06:54 PM
BTW: are you using the latest image?

There is/was a bug which caused it to display 0.0.0.0 as the IP when the TiVo booted up (via messages). I think this has now been corrected.

johnhedge
25-09-2005, 07:14 PM
I believe the version is 1.4.

How do you telnet to 0.0.0.0?

Thx

John

Darren King
25-09-2005, 08:21 PM
Hi John

My Tivo reports an IP address of 0.0.0.0 in the message generated with a reboot. The MAC address is 00:0B:AD:99:55:23. I don't know if there's a way of using the MAC address but telnet doesn't seem to like 0.0.0.0 and http://0.0.0.0 doesn't either.

No you can't telnet with a MAC address. And the reporting of the IP address of 0.0.0.0 is a bug in the latest release of the R1.4 image as per the "known issues" page on the oztivo website and the workaround/fix for it:

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Install/KnownIssuesCurrentImageRelease

My Tivo came with an RJ45 cable sticking out from the back and Darren pronounce everything was working aok.

Everyting is "AOK". The reason why you can't connect is because if no preferred static IP address was specified to me at time of install then you get by default a DHCP assigned IP address setup. Unless you are running a router that dishes out DHCP assigned IP addresses or ICS sharing software on your PC then it won't work

I've tried a direct connection to my laptop via both the RJ45 and RJ45 connected to a crossover cable. Neither worked. I cannot connect the crossover directly without taking the Tivo apart which I'd rather avoid if possibe at this stage.

You don't need to take the cover off the TiVo as it won't make any difference. What you will need to do is ONE of the following things:

1. (easiest) Run the network lead from the TiVo and another from your notebook to a DHCP compliant router, log into the router and see what the router assigned IP address of the TiVo is, then telnet into the TiVo with this IP address and run nic_config_tivo to set a static IP address. Reboot.

2. (less easy) Run some sort of sharing software with DHCP capability on your notebook with the crossover cable so your notebook can assign the TiVo an IP address. Some information you may find useful here: http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Network/NetworkingWithXP

3. (hardest if you don't have one) Is to use a serial cable from the "serial" port on the back of the TiVo to your notebook and use hyperterm running at 9600 baud 8N1 parity and get a linux bash prompt up this way instead of doing it through telnet, then type nic_config_tivo and set a static IP address, reboot and you are done.

4. (alternatively) Pull the hard disk out of the TiVo, download the R1.4 install CD and do another complete re-image of the hard disk. This way you can set the networking IP address options from the CD installer menu. Pop the hard disk back in the TiVo and then completely redo Guided Setup as you will have also wiped everything else in the reimage process.

5. (If all that fails) Send me the hard disk and I can configure the network setting for you and return it with me personally utilising option 1 above on your hard disk in one of my TiVo's.

Also am I right in assuming you are NOT on some sort of broadband internet connection given you are wanting to connect through the PC?

Darren King
25-09-2005, 08:45 PM
If you telnet in and type nic_config_tivo you can set a static IP in there. Also you can slightly change your tivo's mac address (for the network card) if it's causing problems.

Hi mate. As hinted in my above post, John won't be able to do that until he can get an IP address to start with, and 0.0.0.0, as you point out, is a false report caused by the current bug in the release. Also I purposely randomize the MAC address on each and every install from the default 00:0B:AD:10:10:10 to counteract problems so this is not the issue.

BTW: are you using the latest image? There is/was a bug which caused it to display 0.0.0.0 as the IP when the TiVo booted up (via messages). I think this has now been corrected.

Nup. Not corrected yet. But the list of things to warrant a newer release than R1.4_20050524 is at that point so I will be whispering to the right people to see if it can happen sometime before the end of the year. And yes, John has 20050524 on his hard disk.

zollymonsta
26-09-2005, 06:27 AM
oh yeah... doh!! I wasn't thinking straight. LOL... He could do it however if he connected via serial to his tivo.

johnhedge
02-10-2005, 02:22 PM
Thank you both for your input.

It took a little longer than I antisipated mainly due to my forgetting the id, pw and ip of my old router. Finally reloaded the default firmware and from then on it was a simple matter of telnetting into the Tivo.

I'm now onto the next stage of setting up the wireless lan and getting a download of the latest program info.

Again thanks for the assistance.

John