PDA

View Full Version : Daily call Failed. Service unavailable

ccalabro
13-09-2005, 11:52 AM
Hi, my tivo has been working perfectly for ages but suddenly the daily call is failing. The network is ok and i can connect to the tivo so i assume it isn't an internet issue. My friend tried a daily call and his worked fine.

Can someone please suggest what problem solving i can do to correct this?

thanks for any assistance.

charles

Darren King
13-09-2005, 01:17 PM
Has it happened once, or many times?

Does it happen every time it tries or just randomly?

Are you doing heavy uploading/downloading at the same time?

Do you have another TiVo (or connected another TiVo) with the same type of network card and therefore you may have a MAC address conflict issue?

Are you runnning any different firewall software and/or settings since the problem started?

petestrash
13-09-2005, 03:32 PM
The most important bit is to check your TiVo can still contact minnie and is able to download files from her.

Try using the NetworkingHowto (http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Network/NetworkingHowto) and scroll down to 'Configuration and Diagnostics' and work your way through the tests there. If you get stuck at one let us know and can try to help further.

Peter.

ccalabro
13-09-2005, 04:55 PM
i will try as suggested. this is the first time this has happened and nothing is different about the network. has been working perfectly for over a year :)

thanks for the prompt replies.
CC

ccalabro
13-09-2005, 04:59 PM
i notice the mtu size is 1500 whereas with my adsl service i had to change my router to 1492 to get it to work. i have not changed any network settings on the tivo?

petestrash
13-09-2005, 05:14 PM
MTU isn't the issue, all TiVo's I've played with use 1500 and my ADSL uses 1492 same as yours.

Keep going down the list.

The most common thing to cause what you have, is your ISP inserting a transparent proxy into your service. Not all proxies will handle TiVo headers properly.

Anyway, we will find out as you go through the list.

Peter.

ccalabro
13-09-2005, 08:47 PM
from some further investigation it seems that it may be tpg proxy causing the problem as some others have had similar issues. strange how it only just happened. i have repeated guided setup and it fails at connection.

will try to use the emuproxy feature as suggested. thanks

ccalabro
13-09-2005, 11:01 PM
firstly, thanks for the replies :)

i confirmed that the problem was indeed my tpg account and their transparent proxy service. took the adsl off the network and fell back to trusty bigpond dial up and viola, program data.

strange because i have always had tpg adsl and it has only impacted in the last week. this may help other users on tpg internet who are scratching their heads.

anyway looks like a manual dial up for the interim.

again, thanks for the prompt replies.

CC

petestrash
14-09-2005, 12:01 AM
It's worth talking to TPG.

I had the same problem crop up using Swiftdsl (now PeopleTelecom).

I told them they are the cause of this new problem and they need to fix it or I'll change providers.

I asked them to either exclude 131.244.9.101 from the new proxies or fix them to accept HTTP/1.0.

The issue was fixed in a couple of days.

Peter.

ccalabro
14-09-2005, 09:51 AM
Thanks petestrash, i sent TPG support an email regarding the issue and to their credit they replied in under 10 hours asking for the IP address etc to be passed on to their support team. I will do so and post the results.

CC

petestrash
14-09-2005, 11:59 AM
That sounds promising.

Add the details to http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Network/AustralianISPs

This is where we try to keep a record of ISP's with issues and if they have been resolved. Though it has not been kept uptodate by our members, I'm sure there are more then 3 ISP's with proxy issues.

Peter

ccalabro
20-09-2005, 07:09 PM
FYI TPG connection still not providing access to guide updates. will follow up with their support. any other TPG users having same problem??

CC

petestrash
20-09-2005, 07:27 PM
Roy Davidson on the mailing list said that he was not having any problems with TPG.

It might only be your city/pop that is affected at this stage.

What city are you in ?

Peter.