PDA

View Full Version : Tivo Versus Foxtel decoder (and others)

erbachem
08-09-2005, 09:59 AM
Hello from NZ.

Sky has announced that they will be providing a Foxtel like PVR in December of this year. Cost will be 599NZD. Apart from the cost and the ability to stuff in as much disk as you can afford, what reason is there for choosing a home brew Tivo over this unit? What are the drawbacks?

regards,
Michael.

zollymonsta
08-09-2005, 05:31 PM
For one, you can extract your video recordings from TiVo... I doubt you can for the Sky Box.

You can't 'skip' the ad breaks.. only fast forward.

If you cancel your Sky Digital Subscription.. the box will be useless (unlike a TiVo, which you can continue to use with a VCR or whatever).

You can remote access into TiVo to set it to record, via tivoweb.

You can easily repair a TiVo yourself (Swap the HD etc).

With a TiVo you can record stuff you purchase and watch it for as long and as often as you want (no doubt the Sky box will only allow you to watch something you purchased for the time allowed).

THere's just some reasons why TiVo is better :)

Darren King
08-09-2005, 05:34 PM
You can easily repair a TiVo yourself (Swap the HD etc).

Or if you can't yourself there is someone who don't charge the earth to help out.

I can also guarantee the TiVo hardware build quality is far superior to the current junk on the market (and that includes Series 2 TiVo's too) and they will be going for many many years to come. I'll make a bold prediction that they will still be in use in one form or another in a decades time.

zollymonsta
08-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Ooops Yes, I keep forgetting you Darren!

Darren is a soldering legend!! He has excellent eyesight and can fix 99.9% of problems.. (in fact, probably 100%).

Plus, he's a nice guy. :)

Darren King
08-09-2005, 06:16 PM
Thanks! Cheque's in the mail. :D

Nah. 99.9%. Some are not repairable but it's getting rarer for that to be the case the more of them I do.

DavidSymons
08-09-2005, 07:13 PM
visit my website now with an ALL NEW LOOK!Check it out!

Soldering and now HTML Legend! :)

Cheers, Dave.

Darren King
08-09-2005, 08:02 PM
LOL! Not really :)

I'm sure some HTML designers can pick a heap of faults. That was my first attempt with Dreamweaver and a pre-defined template that I had a fun ol time getting to look even half decent.

Still, it was a much needed facelift all the same.

zollymonsta
08-09-2005, 08:23 PM
I need you to make me a website :)
Mine is incomplete and looks like ****e ;)