23-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Hello all
I finally got tivo up and running but no sound in live tv
{I do get the intro music and button press sounds}
I have tried every different plug and cable I have and
they work on my other devices...picture is fine
so I tested the rca connections inside tivo and I have continuity
from video in to video out but nothing from audio in to audio out on both
red and black...should I have continuity with audio ??.

Who could I get to repair if neccesary? I got it from eksys but If I have to return it the postage is more than the tivo cost.

any ideas please
thanks splitpin

tenty
23-04-2004, 07:02 PM
I have continuity
from video in to video out but nothing from audio in to audio out on both
red and black...should I have continuity with audio ??

Yes.

Best thing to do, is try a different device if you have one... ie. Try connecting a DVD player or VCR, or a cd player just for sound.

splitpin
24-04-2004, 08:55 AM
Thanks for replying tenty
I have tried it through my vcr and still no sound
I pulled the rca leads from the back of the tivo and touched the plugs
directly to each other in turn..ie bypassed tivo...and get sound,so the input from my sat box is ok.
I notice the tivo plugs for the input are not very sturdy[they seem to move a fair bit when pushing the leads on ]
If it was just a track broken I could fix that ok, but I have read that tivo's
have audio problems caused by software also, so I dont want to pull tivo apart before I eliminate all possibilities.
If someone living around Brisbane-Toowoomba area is willing to try their drive in my box I could then know where I stand? [I would come to you]
or any other help also
Thanks splitpin

tenty
24-04-2004, 10:36 PM
I'm a little bit confused here.

is the issue:
A) you cannot take a sound from a device like a VCR and play it out from the TiVo?
B) You cannot take the sound from the TiVo and play it out of the TV?

or maybe to explain it easier:
A) VCR/DVD --> TIVO
OR
B) TIVO --> TV/VCR

splitpin
25-04-2004, 09:07 PM
Hey tenty
I mean when I run the paytv signal into the tivo then from tivo into tv
I get the picture ok but no sound and if I record with the tivo it plays back the picture it recorded but still no sound.
I have tried my dvd player playing a disk into the tivo and get the same result.When I run a tape through the vcr directly into tivo it shows the picture at about 2 frames per second ..ie in very very slow motion..I think the vcr is outputing a pal signal?? My tv can show pal or ntsc.
I also tried running the super video cable that came with the tivo but cannot get any picture at all with that.
hope this helps.....splitpin

tenty
26-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Just out of curiosity's sake have you tried another RCA cable?

If changing the cable over provides no support, then the only thing I can think of is re-imaging with the latest image on minnie (ie. http://minnie.tuhs.org/TiVo/ ) and retesting.

Failing that, I dare say it would be a hardware fault. You would have to contact someone on the mailing list to track down someone who could test and repair your TiVo if it is a definate hardware fault as an alternative to contacting the people who you bought it from and sending it back to them.

Good luck and keep us informed of your updates.

curto
27-04-2004, 09:47 AM
Splitpin,

OK Tenty has you on the right track for things to try - does sound like a hardware fault - however a re0image is probably a good idea - you have probably noticed there are two sets of outputs on the back of the TIVO - have you tried both (they should operate in parallel but you never know!!)

Also the hardware man for TIVo is DarrenKing (check on the OZTIVO mailing lists)

The other option you have if it proves faulty is to have George send you a motherboard only (although he is good with honouring warranty if it proves faulty)

Postage on the motherboard only cost me about $20 AUS recently.

Craig

splitpin
28-04-2004, 01:41 PM
Thanks for your advice all
I emailed George at eksys and he said he would honour warranty on mainboard
but I am trying to get my tivo running properly first so I can know if it is a software problem. I reinstalled the 3.0 release 1 image again but am still unable to progress into guided setup..specifically, getting it to connect to the web.I am using the null serial cable.
I have followed the instructions in "howtonetwork SerialPPPWithXP"Everything works the way it is supposed to except the final connect.
I have wingate and a telnet program and can get into tivoweb and ftp ok, I have tested the ping and wget as per the howto and both work...but when I click on tivoweb phone and try to connect it gives a slight burst of activity but then fails to connect,I have tried every different setting I can find but no success.
I am getting very stressed with my tivo at the moment

cheers splitpin

tenty
28-04-2004, 09:05 PM
when I click on tivoweb phone and try to connect it gives a slight burst of activity but then fails to connect,I have tried every different setting I can find but no success.

I'll assume you are talking about the first call in Guided Setup. If this is the case, you need to make sure the speeds are set the same.

If you are trying to connect at 115200, then you need to set the dialing prefix to #211

At 9600, the dialing prefix is #296

and so on....

If this doesn't help, let us know.

Cheers

splitpin
01-05-2004, 09:55 AM
After all the stress about a faulty board ..when I did a fresh install for the 3rd time I did the slice upload again but still didnt work [the slice I mean}
anyway one of the options setup it has a option to configure recorder and phone and I normally will never let me in to set anything, but this time it did and I found the options to set up input connections it was not setup to suit rca plugs so I reset the options and saved, back to main screen and SOUND!!
all ok...I have tried to see if I can get back into that setting area again and I am relocked out...Is it meant to be doing this??

Anyway I am so glad it was not a faulty board. Thanks for all the advice.
Now I just need to get the ###@2% slice to be recognised by the tivo.
splitpin