PDA

View Full Version : I'm Lost

donm
07-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Hi I'm a new TiVo user and having a bit of trouble getting things going. I have a Phillips series 1 TiVo with no network card. I have installed the v1.4 image and have setup to work through the Pace Sky box CableBoxCodeNum 2001.

The file I got from the guy who sold me the Tivo referred to editing rc.sysinit.author and enabling a command to Keep Guided Setup from bothering us. The bad news is that that part was not present in the rc.sysinit.author file on my image. Also had problems adding the sky channels.

Someone mentioned a NZ emulator. Where would I find that?

Tried booting up and going through guided setup but hung on the dialup part. (Not plussed in to the phone line is why and no number set up I am guessing.

Any help appreciated.

Don

petestrash
07-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Don, how were you planning on using your TiVo?

Just as a dumb digital VCR where you manually set the times for shows you want recorded, or have TiVo automatically record shows based on their name or genre in the tv guide.

For proper use the Tivo needs to download the guide info at least a couple of times a week from the internet.

If you can tell us what you would like to do, we can steer you in the right direction.

Peter.

donm
07-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Hi Peter

I'm keen to get full functionality with my Pace Sky decoder. I do not have a network card at present so going down the serial route. Want to download the slices on to my desktop and telnet in to TiVo to update. May try and get dialup to work later or go for a net card connected to my DSL hub.
I'm assuming that the emulator is a service emulator that holds the slice data. The only way to get there will be via the net I guess so a networked TiVo would be the way right.

Given I don't have that can I disable guided setup as per one of the site docs (GS = 0) then will I be able to set the time etc and then download and insert slices?

Still getting to grips with the lingo here.

Don

zollymonsta
07-09-2005, 07:21 PM
I'm not sure how you will get your tv guide slices to your tivo, when you don't have connectivity via a network card. As far as I'm aware, you cannot send files to your tivo via serial, only telnet in to the command prompt.
You could however set up your tivo to connect to the internet, via your PC.

zollymonsta
07-09-2005, 07:38 PM
Actually.. I was speaking before thinking :)

You obviously have internet access?
Dialup?

What ISP?

You _can_ (in most circumstances... depending on ISP) have your tivo dial up to your ISP direct and download the tv guide slices (and also to connect to the emulator to run guided setup).

I had both my tivo's doing this via their internal modems and connecting to my ISP (Paradise) and it worked well.

It's best to run guided setup and use the emulator as it's a lot easier to keep up on the play with channel adds/removes etc.

There is information here on how to use the built in modem

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Network/NetworkingWithBuiltinModem

This of course may or may not work, if you decide to take this route.
Some TiVo's have bung modems.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Darren King
07-09-2005, 07:40 PM
Some TiVo's have bung modems.

Good news is they CAN be fixed or at the very least you can also hook up any old dialup modem (even an old ratty 14.4k or slower!) to do the job too :)

zollymonsta
07-09-2005, 07:50 PM
Yep! That too!

A lot easier to use the internal modem, than to muck about with ftp'ing slices to your tivo, or connecting via your pc.

petestrash
08-09-2005, 04:27 AM
I'm keen to get full functionality with my Pace Sky decoder. I do not have a network card at present so going down the serial route. Want to download the slices on to my desktop and telnet in to TiVo to update.

Going the full manual route and loading slices is a pain, but if it's what you really want then I'll leave it upto one of the NZ'ers to walk you through what is required for it to work over there.

But, I think since you already are using serial to talk to your TiVo, It would be easiest to get your TiVo talking to an emulator by using PPP over serial via your PC.

This way you could run the full guided setup and even do daily calls to receive guide updates (when your PC was on).

See SerialPPPWithXP (http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Network/SerialPPPWithXP) for details (assuming your using XP).

Peter.

donm
08-09-2005, 08:01 AM
I have a networked house including a wireless hub. Maybe I should just get a turbonet or something.

Anybody got one?

Don

Darren King
08-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Petestrash sells them and if he is out of stock I have a couple spare. The units either of us can offer are actually called "X-Factor" cards which are cheaper than the Turbonet cards but 100% compatible.

brucer
08-09-2005, 10:01 AM
Hi Don, I use a network card and a wireless bridge to connect my Tivo to the Internet, works really well and it's nice to be able to use TivoWeb from any computer also if you have a web-enabled cell phone you can even operate your Tivo when you're away from home.. a very cool thing, maybe more cool than practical since I've only ever done it to show off - but...

petestrash
08-09-2005, 11:20 AM
I would certainly recommend networking your TiVo, It would make life much simpler. If you have cabling near the TiVo then a network card is all you need, if not then I would recommend brucer's method and use a network card with a wireless bridge or wireless game adapter (around AUD$150 here).

In case you are reading about other alternatives, I don't suggest using an airnet adapter these days as it only supports prism 2/2.5 based pcmia cards running 802.11b. 802.11b is not enough to allow streaming from your TiVo and also does not support WPA for protection, whereas 802.11G allows both streaming and WPA protection.

I am currently out of stock of network cards and expect more stock to arrive next week. Airmail to NZ is AUD$73 contact me off list if you would like to reserve one Or give Darren a shout.

Peter.

donm
08-09-2005, 04:56 PM
Gone off the modem idea and just want to get going with the setup as per the document provided by the guy who sold me the machine.

He used the image file hdr112.30.oztivo_emulator.release1.3.iso My problem is I cannot download it. Access to that file is forbidden and the NZ TiVo link is dead.

I'm being very calm....

Don

Darren King
08-09-2005, 05:12 PM
That's probably because R1.3 software is now almost two years old and been out of date almost nine months being superseeded with R1.4 that also comes as a bootable CD where you simply put the TiVo drive in your PC, boot the CD and follow the prompts.

It's available here:
http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Install/PrepareTiVoDisk

It's configured for Australia (and so for that matter was the file you quote in your text above) but there is information around to change the intended server for doing Guided Setup - in your case NZ

petestrash
08-09-2005, 05:32 PM
It's configured for Australia (and so for that matter was the file you quote in your text above) but there is information around to change the intended server for doing Guided Setup - in your case NZ

Darren's correct, the r1.3 version is depreciated and you can no longer download that version.

You should be using the current r1.4 version as it's a breeze to install and more stable then r1.3. It also makes it much easier for us to support you when/if you have problems.

Being in NZ, you would be best following the NZ version of setup using the link I gave you in another thread ImageWithScreenShots1.4 (http://www.nztivo.net/index.php/ImageWithScreenShots1.4)

and download the r1.4 ISO from ozTiVo_installer_HDRX12-20050524.iso (http://minnie.tuhs.org/TiVo/files/images/iso/ozTiVo_installer_HDRX12-20050524.iso)

Peter.

donm
08-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Just trying to play while I think about the network solution. I'd just like to try some of the features of the device before I invest more. A good way to learn as well. I tried turning off guided setup but got an error !no device name.

How about making 1.3 available for me to play with?

Don

petestrash
08-09-2005, 06:31 PM
There is no point in going backwards, anything you want to try using r1.3 you can do using r1.4.

If it's just an image you are after without the installer it is also available @ ozTiVo_HDRX12_3.0-20050524.mfs (http://minnie.tuhs.org/TiVo/files/images/ozTiVo_HDRX12_3.0-20050524.mfs)

Peter.

donm
11-09-2005, 03:12 PM
Hi Guys

Being basically badly behaved and stubborn I managed to get my hands on 1.3 and now have a fully operational TiVo set up to get the guide data manually and install via serial connection. I'm totally stoked with what the machine can do and will use for a while while I get an network card and run some cat5 cable to the box.

Many thanks all for your help with the setup. As a newbie I always felt very supported by the group.

Cheers

Don

petestrash
11-09-2005, 04:35 PM
I'm glad you have it up and running, but still don't understand why you want to use the 18 month old depreciated r1.3 image.

You should have been able to setup r1.4 exactly the same.

Peter.

Darren King
11-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Glad to hear you got it going - even though Peter is correct regarding using R1.4

I guess I'll take your above post as to your answer to my email that you don't want a network card nor for me to freely include a copy of the latest image on CD after hearing no response to my reply to you asking for a network card ??

donm
14-09-2005, 06:38 PM
Hi Darren

I Emailed you a couple of days ago. Did you get it?

Cheers

Don

Darren King
14-09-2005, 08:38 PM
No I did not. Is there anything I can help with?

donm
02-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Hi

Have secured a netweork card installed and all is good in the world.
Thanks for your help.

Don