PDA

View Full Version : Got Questions

daggo
20-08-2005, 11:17 PM
Hi Newbie here....

I've got a few questions. Got a Sony SRV2K (thanks Darren) with "2nd audio mod" and its plugged into a Strong 5000 STB and Austar Atlas.

How do you find out that indexing has finished? Can I see it in a log somewhere?
Now I don't know if this is a bug or not. When I am in a menu and leave it there for a couple of mins, my box will lock-up. And the only way to get it back is to pull the power out.
If I do a reboot from the web page the box locks-up too. Again I got to remove the power to get it back.
The audio stops half-way thru the TiVO intro. Not major but I thought I'd mention it.
When I want to install other software/play around in PuTTY do I have to remount the drive in read/write mode?
Also I have just recorded a movie and it has lock-up again. I have recorded other programs that were less then an hour and it was fine. This is the first time that I have recorded longer then an hour.

Thanks.

Matt.

Darren King
21-08-2005, 12:12 AM
Hi Matt

Got a Sony SRV2K

SVR-2000 actually. Not being pedantic but there is enough confusion whether a Sony works in Australia as it is without calling it by a weird model number :)

How do you find out that indexing has finished? Can I see it in a log somewhere?

If you no longer get the message that the TiVo is indexing when you go to pick programs to record then yours has finished indexing. You can also monitor the guide data loading/indexing progress from the "Phone" tab in TiVoWEB.

Now I don't know if this is a bug or not. When I am in a menu and leave it there for a couple of mins, my box will lock-up. And the only way to get it back is to pull the power out.

Ummmm... what's your hard disk like? Have you played around with any files other than simply installing a "vanilla" image? No lockups when I was testing your TiVo so the only differences are 1. your hard disk and/or any software tweaks you might have attempted and 2. your hardware modifications. You didn't try and increase the swapfile or anything like that?

The audio stops half-way thru the TiVO intro. Not major but I thought I'd mention it.

Covered here and totally normal: http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/FAQ/ProblemsAndSolutions

P: When the tivo boots up, the animation sound breaks up and stops, starts, stutters and then finally the main menu appears. It seems like I might not have imaged the hard disk properly or my TiVo is faulty.

S: No, your TiVo and hard disk is fine. What you are seeing is caused by playing back the original NTSC animation in PAL. Due to PAL being 5 frames a second less than NTSC the video buffer fills up and "spills over". This is what causes the audio breaks on the animation because it gets out of sync with the video and eventually "breaks". It has not been fixed because the animation is not a standard file format and cannot be altered.

When I want to install other software/play around in PuTTY do I have to remount the drive in read/write mode?

Generally the file system on a TiVo is read only so yes you need to RW first.