PDA

View Full Version : Foxtel Digital + FTA digital STB?

brucet
12-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Hello all,

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere, but I did search around a bit and could not find it.

I currently receive FTA only, via a digital STB, but am now moving somewhere I can receive Foxtel (finally!)

It seems Foxtel has stopped offering analog, and because Foxtel Digital does not broadcast all the FTA channels, I am wondering what my options are for having the Tivo receive both sets of channels.

Is there some way for the Tivo to control and receive both the FTA digital STB and the Foxtel STB? Or is the tuner mod the only way this can be done?

Thanks for the help,
-Bruce

zollymonsta
12-08-2005, 07:15 PM
Yes, contact Darren King.. He can do the second AV input mod to your tivo so you can connect two set top boxes.

Hello all,

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere, but I did search around a bit and could not find it.

I currently receive FTA only, via a digital STB, but am now moving somewhere I can receive Foxtel (finally!)

It seems Foxtel has stopped offering analog, and because Foxtel Digital does not broadcast all the FTA channels, I am wondering what my options are for having the Tivo receive both sets of channels.

Is there some way for the Tivo to control and receive both the FTA digital STB and the Foxtel STB? Or is the tuner mod the only way this can be done?

Thanks for the help,
-Bruce

Darren King
12-08-2005, 09:58 PM
Hi Bruce

As Zollymonsta has said you are looking for the "2nd audio input" mod to be done. You can read what this is on my website (link to it is in my signature) and I offer to do the surgery on your TiVo for you. Unlike the picture may suggest (although it is not intended to) no you do not need the internal PAL tuner fitted as well but you are quite welcome to have that done too if you desire.

Cheers

zollymonsta
12-08-2005, 10:34 PM
Darren the soldering legend to the rescue!! :)

*couriers a pallet of beer to Darren*

Darren King
12-08-2005, 11:07 PM
:)

Courier me some more solder. Just been replacing SAA7114H chips on several boards with either no video or intermittent video. Now that's fun :D

brucet
29-08-2005, 04:04 PM
So I was hooked up to Foxtel digital today and was happily surprised to be able to receive all FTA channels through the set top box. I have no problems receiving video and audio from channels 7 and 10 (which I think were the problem channels.) I'm now receiving everything through a single video input.

Has something changed, or was I confused about what the problems were?

I guess I won't be using up any of Darren's solder!

-Bruce

Darren King
29-08-2005, 07:09 PM
So I was hooked up to Foxtel digital

Cable or Satellite? If cable then yes you get all FTA channels. If satellite then dunno as last time I checked (I can't get Foxtel here) then they don't do all FTA channels due to some legal reasosns. Maybe that has changed? Or maybe you mean cable? :confused:

brucet
29-08-2005, 07:17 PM
It is cable. I guess I had gotten the impression somewhere that the FTA channels are not all broadcast on Foxtel digital (unlike Foxtel analog). Glad to find out I was wrong!

-Bruce

decromin
30-08-2005, 12:35 PM
It is cable. I guess I had gotten the impression somewhere that the FTA channels are not all broadcast on Foxtel digital (unlike Foxtel analog). Glad to find out I was wrong!

-Bruce

7 and 10 are analogue retransmissions (as you've probably noticed). If you want to record digital content from these channels, you will still need to use your STB.