PDA

View Full Version : Q & A: General Q's

BadaBing!
01-07-2005, 01:06 PM
This is what I found on the forsale section.
How do I go about the following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by variable
------------------------------------

Quote:
changing channels is very slow - which i thought was well known

-------------------------------------

There's ways around this. Choose "FAST" with your codes, and also you can do a hack to the config file that (IIRC) takes the code length down from 150ms to 5ms. Of course for instantaneous changing then nothing beats an internal PAL tuner.

So how does one go about editing this?

Allso
=====================
Yep. Normal. You are MPEG encoding an analogue signal, saving it to the hard disk, reading it from the hard disk and then decoding it from an MPEG signal back to an analogue one.

So when you ftp your tivo or telnet is there a specific folder or directory that all the recordings are kept? Can't you just connect to your tivo find the files you want and then transfer them to your PC?

Darren King
01-07-2005, 01:35 PM
So how does one go about editing this?

Editing the speed of channel changing? When you perform our guided setup you have three speed choices of the same IR codes (fast, medium and slow). Chose "FAST". There is also a config file somewhere on the TiVo that you can decrease the delay even further but not sure where it is. Also some STB have a setting for speeding up the channel changing too like my DigiCrystal 8800 does. But like I originally said in that post you have cut n pasted: You will never get instantaneous from an external box.

So when you ftp your tivo or telnet is there a specific folder or directory that all the recordings are kept? Can't you just connect to your tivo find the files you want and then transfer them to your PC?

Yes you can. But you have taken the original discussion out of context. The original discussion related to the throughput delay from the input to the output of the tivo watching "live" and nothing to do with extracting any saved recordings from tivo to your PC.

BadaBing!
01-07-2005, 01:44 PM
no I didnt take it out of context. I was just too lazy to type a similar question.

So do you know where the video is located?

Does anyone know here you edit the remote infor for faster switching?
I have a Foxtel Digital Pace DS420NF.
Any tips for this type of boxen?

Darren King
01-07-2005, 01:55 PM
no I didnt take it out of context. I was just too lazy to type a similar question.

My apologies then. It was just the wrong quote to be relating to your question.

So do you know where the video is located?

Yes. In the ty folder. But it's not MPEG as you might expect. It is a proprietary video format called ty that needs converting to MPEG to be anything meaningful your PC or burning to a DVD can comprehend. This is what most people use programs like "tytools" to help with.

I suggest you do a search on the following keywords either on this forum or www.oztivo.com which will tell you a lot more than a simple hardware techie like myself can :

tytools
mfsftp
ftp
video extraction

petestrash
05-07-2005, 12:02 PM
Does anyone know here you edit the remote infor for faster switching?

Use TiVoWeb on your TiVo to look at your input Source. This is kept in the MFS in /MFS/Setup/Source:

SignalSource 611877/12 {
SignalType = 5
Headend = 611922/-1
LineupType = 1
Channel = 611877/13 ... etc
RFChannel = 4
Connector = 3
Component = 612014/-1
RecieverNumDigits = 2
CableBoxCodeNum = 30014
TunerDigitDelay = 150
UnattendedTunerDigitDelay = 800
VariableBitrate = 0

The setting you are interested in is 'TunerDigitDelay = 150'. This will most likely be a higher figure on your machine.

to change it telnet in and use the number from your SignalSource list, in this example it's 611877/12. Most boxes are happy with a value of around 150, but you can go lower it will just have more problems changing channels.

eg.

[TiVo [p1] ~]# dbset 611877/12 TunerDigitDelay 150

Peter