PDA

View Full Version : How do you upgrade the TIVO OS..

19-04-2004, 08:47 AM
How do you upgrade to a later version? I assume you can copy the files and reboot (upgrade) rather than loose everything by formatting and starting over again!! Considering I got 70 hours of stuff that is not an option for me.

I have a TIVO running OZTIVO image, I assume its a 3.00, I got this file out of /dev/build-version

b-3-0-mr @81771 2002.05.08-1537 release-tivo1 BROADBAND BROADBAND_BACKDOOR COMPACT_LAYOUT DB_CHANNEL_FROM_URI DB_SECURITY_POLICY_QUERY DCT_SERIAL DEVENV_AVR DEVENV_MIPS DEVENV_PPC DEVENV_X86 DIRECTV DSS_SERIAL IRBLAST MACROVISION NIELSENLOGGING PERF_LOGGER STANDALONE STRONG_CRYPTO T2KSOURCE US_CABLE_AUTO_DETECT
3.0.S7a-01-1 3.0-01-1

Is there a command you can run in telnet spitting back the version?

I downloaded the files on http://minnie.tuhs.org/TiVo/files/images/fixes/3.0/update_3.0_release1_to_1.2.tar.gz

It basically contains only a few files. I carefully compared the dates and renamed the origional ones and copied new ones over in binary, chmod to 755. I did not copy the cachecard, etc as I have a later driver already.

Interestingly enough in /hack a file named
updatedtv.tcl
just turned up! There was already there a updatedtv.217. So I gave updatedtv.tcl a chmod 755 but cant execute it (file not found).

My question is how do you upgrade from one version to a later? The changes I read from 3.0 to 3.2 are only a few files. I would assume the updatedtv has to be executed to comeplet the install?

Also does the origional file /dev/build-version have to be now modified to reflect the correct version?

Any help appreciated..

curto
20-04-2004, 12:18 PM
Providing that you have one of the OZTIVO emulator images then there is no need to do a full upgrade.

There have been a number of incremental fixes that have been introduced each of which can be performed manually (i..e files replaced or edited)

Ed did provide an update from RC1 to 1.2 however the 1.2 image in general was found to have a number of issues that were forcing TIVOs to lockup.

1.3 is the current version - however if you search the mailing archives you can find the changes between versions (i dont believe a diff file has been created) and implement these yourself

Craig

21-04-2004, 07:49 AM
Craig,

Thanks for your help!! But I need some more :(

Also I searched http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view, http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/index.php and about everywhere I could and found no list of changes in files :(

Correct I am running OZTIVO 3.0, it must be 1.0, I found this in /etc/build-version

b-3-0-mr @81771 2002.05.08-1537 release-tivo1 BROADBAND BROADBAND_BACKDOOR COMPACT_LAYOUT DB_CHANNEL_FROM_URI DB_SECURITY_POLICY_QUERY DCT_SERIAL DEVENV_AVR DEVENV_MIPS DEVENV_PPC DEVENV_X86 DIRECTV DSS_SERIAL IRBLAST MACROVISION NIELSENLOGGING PERF_LOGGER STANDALONE STRONG_CRYPTO T2KSOURCE US_CABLE_AUTO_DETECT
3.0.S7a-01-1 3.0-01-1

I downloaded the 3.0 / 1.3 ISO version. I opened it and found the actual OS, called HDR112_3.3, some 70.6 MB, but I can not open it and nothing I have tried will open it :(

Can you assist me with opening the file, etc? I assume I can like other files upload them to TIVO from Windows as long as I binary transfer?

Thanks again!

curto
21-04-2004, 08:16 AM
David,

OK the file you have found is the latest 1.3 OZTIVO image.

It is a Compressed Linux file that has all the files that are the OS for the TIVO

Typically you would decompress this straight to the TIVO using the MFSRESTORE command.

I am unsure what actual compression engine this uses.

Maybe check on TC or DD for this.

However all you will end up with is all the latest OZTIVO files. There are very few changes between Version 1 and 1.3 of the Image.

Are you having a specific problem ??

Craig

21-04-2004, 08:51 AM
Craig,

Thanks for your help..

Okay how can I extract the archive on TIVO without having to restore and kill the existing system?

Keep in mind I dont wont to loose the recordings or session passes, so can I install this on TIVO?

I am not too familiar with Linux, but can I restore the files in /tmp, if so what is the command I would use in TIVO? I mean I know its mfsrestore, but if I am not careful with the exact command it will wipe out my tivo :(, I obviously need to restore in /tmp only.

Once I get the files out, I can look and make a list of what the new files are and update those ones.

I will make available the changed files once its all sorted so others can also easily upgrade. Its a real pitty there is not a 1.3 update on minnie like the 1.2 one :(

Is it possible you could ask Ed for a list of all changed files? Certainly meantime I would like to extract the archive and look at the files.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but there is not any info I can find on upgrading, apart from the 1.2 upgrade package on minnie. I reallly have tried :(

Thanks!