PDA

View Full Version : set Frequency for TiVo by using the remote?

teppy
04-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Hi all,
Anybody knows how can we change the frequency of Tivo by using the remote.
Please show me!
Best regards,
Teppy

thomson
04-06-2005, 02:11 PM
Anybody knows how can we change the frequency of Tivo by using the remote.

Well that all depends on what you mean?

If you wish to alter the IR Channel then you go into the "System Information" screen and press the Down button until you see the Remote Address. Then hold down the TiVo and Pause button for five seconds and then press a number for the channel you want. Then press the Right button to let the TiVo know what channel it should accept.

If you wish to alter the RF Output frequency then you can do this via the Recorder Setup screen on a v2.5.5 (default is channel 60), or you will have to use palmod_config or edit the /etc/palmod.conf file on a v3.0 system.

If you wish to change the frequency the tuner is listening on, then you should just be able to use the Channel Up/Down buttons... assuming you have go a compatible tuner installed.

The resonance frequency of the TiVo can be altered by loosening or tightening the screws holding the hard-drive (and I am not being silly here... one of my TiVo's was a little noisy until I loosened the screws).

If you wish to increase the number of TiVo's you own via the remote then you will need to use the remote to type in www.ebay.com into your web browser :)

A better description of what you are after would probably help :rolleyes:

teppy
04-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Well that all depends on what you mean?

If you wish to alter the IR Channel then you go into the "System Information" screen and press the Down button until you see the Remote Address. Then hold down the TiVo and Pause button for five seconds and then press a number for the channel you want. Then press the Right button to let the TiVo know what channel it should accept.

If you wish to alter the RF Output frequency then you can do this via the Recorder Setup screen on a v2.5.5 (default is channel 60), or you will have to use palmod_config or edit the /etc/palmod.conf file on a v3.0 system.

If you wish to change the frequency the tuner is listening on, then you should just be able to use the Channel Up/Down buttons... assuming you have go a compatible tuner installed.

The resonance frequency of the TiVo can be altered by loosening or tightening the screws holding the hard-drive (and I am not being silly here... one of my TiVo's was a little noisy until I loosened the screws).

If you wish to increase the number of TiVo's you own via the remote then you will need to use the remote to type in www.ebay.com into your web browser :)

A better description of what you are after would probably help :rolleyes:

Thanks Thomson,
I have setup my Tivo by using Oztivo image. And I also used palmod_config
to change frequency through serial port. But, you know, It's very inconvenient to do that. I have to use PC for this changing. For example, I would like to change my present frequency: 182650 Khz to 183650 Khz by using remote. Do you have any idea for this?
Hope you help me
Teppy

thomson
05-06-2005, 08:30 AM
I would like to change my present frequency: 182650 Khz to 183650 Khz by using remote. Do you have any idea for this?

This is not possible, you will either need to use the palmod_config application to setup a finetune setting. It should be noted that the default channel 7 frequency is 182250. If you are using the latest (1.4) OzTivo image then you will probably be using the palmod described on this page (http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Software/LatestPalModSeries1). You will find a user guide in the palmod_3_1.zip (http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/pub/Software/LatestPalModSeries1/palmod_3_1.zip) attachment.

Darren King
05-06-2005, 06:16 PM
You know, I could swear I posted a reply in this thread that has magically disappeared since yesterday.......

Anyway, FWIW..... Teppy: No, there is no fancy way of fine tuning via a graphical user interface (ie "on-screen" setup). palmod_config is where you make the fine tuning. Even if it may be inconvenient you should only need to do it once per every time you move the TiVo to a new antenna.

DavidSymons
05-06-2005, 07:13 PM
You know, I could swear I posted a reply in this thread that has magically disappeared since yesterday.......You did Darren. I remember reading it.

Strange.

Cheers, Dave.

teppy
06-06-2005, 12:41 PM
You know, I could swear I posted a reply in this thread that has magically disappeared since yesterday.......

Anyway, FWIW..... Teppy: No, there is no fancy way of fine tuning via a graphical user interface (ie "on-screen" setup). palmod_config is where you make the fine tuning. Even if it may be inconvenient you should only need to do it once per every time you move the TiVo to a new antenna.

[COLOR=Blue]
Hi Darren King!
Thanks for your helps,
I think that we should be write the other code to do this, right?
this means that we can't use palmod_config as a graphic user interface.
BTW, I used palmod_config version 3.1 to change my frequency from 0 to 69 Australia channel but it seems only set about more 20 channel. When I set 70 channel at the same time (0-69) and save, the result, after viewing I see the frequency values in each channel is 0 Khz, it's terrible. Would you like to solve this problem?
I think that this is maybe a bug of palmod file
Please give me your commments
Thanks and regards,
Teppy :)

teppy
06-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Hi Darren King!
Thanks for your helps,
this means that we can't use palmod_config as a graphic user interface.
BTW, I used palmod_config version 3.1 to change my frequency from 0 to 69 Australia channel but it seems only set about more 20 channel. When I set 70 channel at the same time (0-69) and save, the result, after viewing I see the frequency values in each channel is 0 Khz, it's terrible. Would you like to solve this problem?
I think that this is maybe a bug of palmod file
Please give me your commments
Thanks and regards,
Teppy :)

Darren King
06-06-2005, 01:01 PM

No I don't think it is necessary. As I said above it is only something you need to do usually once so it would be "nice" but not necessary.

But if you want to do it then don't let me discourage you! Be my guest, although don't say "we" as I am not a software programmer I only do the hardware (solder and wires) so you will have to find someone else to help you.

Yes I can solve this problem. You need to use the current palmod_config as detailed by Thompson in an above post. If you are already using it then you have not installed it correctly. If you really want to be smart then I suggest you simply reimage your hard disk with the new 20050524 version of the OzTiVo image and it is all done for you (and working correctly).

teppy
06-06-2005, 01:29 PM
Hi Darren King,
I'm very glad to receive your soon reply,
I'll try to download the new TiVo software and try again,
BTW, please cofirrm me that the oztivo image as you talked is ozTiVo_HDRX12_3.0-20050524.mfs at the link:
http://minnie.tuhs.org/TiVo/files/images/

Once again, thanks for your kindly help,
Teppy

thomson
06-06-2005, 01:52 PM
Yes I can solve this problem. You need to use the current palmod_config as detailed by Thompson in an above post. If you are already using it then you have not installed it correctly.

Actually I doubt that the version on the page (http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Software/LatestPalModSeries1) I pointed you at (which is probably the version on the OzTivo image) supports channels above 69... it's hard to know for sure as the source has not yet been posted.

The version posted here (http://www.forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?p=2164#post2164) does... If you wish to have more than 69 channels then it may be your only option until the official version is updated.

Darren King
06-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Hi Darren King,
BTW, please cofirrm me that the oztivo image as you talked is ozTiVo_HDRX12_3.0-20050524.mfs at the link:
http://minnie.tuhs.org/TiVo/files/images/

Hi Teppy. No problems at all.

No, you require this directory where the ISO files are. The MFS files are not the CD install images you require:

http://minnie.tuhs.org/TiVo/files/images/iso/

Specifically you want this file:

http://minnie.tuhs.org/TiVo/files/images/iso/ozTiVo_installer_HDRX12-20050524.iso

Darren King
06-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Actually I doubt that the version on the page (http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Software/LatestPalModSeries1) I pointed you at (which is probably the version on the OzTivo image) supports channels above 69... it's hard to know for sure as the source has not yet been posted.

Ta. Actually I will email you later this evening regarding some stuff with palmod that you might be interested in helping with.

teppy
09-06-2005, 01:55 PM
Hi Darren King,
I downloaded the .iso file as you post and also restore into my hard drive by using the CD.
But I couldn't see the menu to choose channels. I have to make dial call to get the menu right? But, unfortunately I'm not in Australia to do this. Please help me.
BTW, if I live in Australia, can I setup my TiVo to get menu from oztivo server? When I recorde from PAL A/V or RF, I only recorded about 5-10 minutes and TiVo will be interrupt this, hic...hic,
Thanks for your time.
Best regards,
Teppy

Darren King
09-06-2005, 02:26 PM
I downloaded the .iso file as you post and also restore into my hard drive by using the CD. But I couldn't see the menu to choose channels.
That's because you have to actually do Guided Setup to see the list applicable to your area.

I have to make dial call to get the menu right?

Depends. If you have a network card in the TiVo then you do not need to make a "dial call". You have not said what your TiVo consists of so I can't help.

But, unfortunately I'm not in Australia to do this.

If you had told me this originally then I would not have suggested reimaging the hard disk with the OzTiVo image. You can make oztivo image work outside Australia but I am not software person so I cannot offer advice.

Also note to Teppy: Your "location" field in your personal details is there for a good reason...... (see mine says "Victoria"? I can't see yours!)

BTW, if I live in Australia, can I setup my TiVo to get menu from oztivo server?
Yes

When I recorde from PAL A/V or RF, I only recorded about 5-10 minutes and TiVo will be interrupt this, hic...hic,
What? :confused:

Sorry, I can't help you as I am totally confused about exactly what you are trying to accomplish. I think Thompson had a better handle on what you are wanting so I'll leave it to him, or someone else who wants to help.

teppy
05-07-2005, 05:53 PM
Hi all,

My PAL tuner was broken. :(, so, I'm searching the PAL tuner to replace this one.
I have two kinds of tuner to use.

1. Samsung tuner (part: TCMK0601PD20C)
2. ALPS-TMDG tuner (part: TMDG2-832A/2214M41A)

Anybody give me advice to choice the suitable tuner

Thanks very much

Teppy

Darren King
05-07-2005, 05:58 PM
I have two kinds of tuner to use.

1. Samsung tuner (part: TCMK0601PD20C)
2. ALPS-TMDG tuner (part: TMDG2-832A/2214M41A)

Anybody give me advice to choice the suitable tuner

Samsung and ALPS tuners are basically the same except that the Samsung cannot do RF output properly so if you need that then use the ALPS. Also both have slightly different pin connections so ensure you use the right installation document when doing the changeover.

Personally to make it easier for you I would simply pick the ALPS and follow the install document on my website but the choice is really yours if you use a Samsung or ALPS tuner.

I have stock of brand new ALPS. I also have some second hand Samsung tuners that I have removed from TiVo's for people who wanted to upgrade to an ALPS for RF output. Email me if interested in purchasing one from me otherwise I wish you all the best in fixing your TiVo and glad you found out what was wrong in the end.

teppy
05-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Thanks Darren King,

You mean that I can use the ALPS with the partnumber I post to you?
I'll try my best to install this tuner for my TiVo
I'll contact to you if I have the requirements.

Once again, thanks for your supports.
Best regards,

Teppy