PDA

View Full Version : Using Tivo with no guide data

morespam
02-06-2005, 11:32 AM
Hi,

I am looking to get a Tivo to work down here, but had a quick question...

I looked around but couldn’t find a clear answer, this will be the first Tivo I have had a play with is it possible to use the Tivo without any guide data?

In other words use it as a "dumb" PVR where I can just press a "record button" and it starts recording till I press a "stop recording button", very similar to a VCR.

Or does the Tivo reply on guide data for all its recording functions?

The reason I ask is if I want to record something that has no guide data, a source that isnt supported by guide data (i.e: French satalite TV), or if the OZTivo project ever winds down I can at least use the Tivo as a standard PVR.

All help appreciated.

thomson
02-06-2005, 01:55 PM
In other words use it as a "dumb" PVR where I can just press a "record button" and it starts recording till I press a "stop recording button", very similar to a VCR.

It's been too long since I last tried it, but am pretty sure the TiVo will default to half hour blocks if you have no guide data. This means that if you press the record button, it will stop recording at the next half hour block. ie if if press record at 2:15, it will record until 2:30.

However, the upside is that this can be got around by setting up manual recordings, either using the TiVo (on screen) GUI, or via the Manual Recording (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=2807171#post2807171) TiVo web module. This will allow you to setup recordings such as "Boomtown" every Tuesday from 9:30-10:30pm on Channel 3.

In summary: You will not have much trouble performing scheduled recordings (particularly if you have a PC and network access to your TiVo), but it will be a little difficult to perform adhoc recordings via the record button as the TiVo does not have a STOP button :) - it just keeps recording until it thinks the current show has finished (and in the case of no guide data this could be half hour blocks).

zollymonsta
02-06-2005, 02:28 PM
Also... you'll need to run a cron job daily to run fixup30.tcl
This will keep the software happy, making it think it's made it's daily call.

morespam
02-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Cool as long as I have an option to not use guide data (manual shedual sounds good) that should be fine.

zollymonsta: Ill look into that, is there a way to automate it? batch? on restart?

Thanks all.

thomson
02-06-2005, 06:28 PM
zollymonsta: Ill look into that, is there a way to automate it? batch? on restart?
The fixup script updates MFS entries to push the next scheduled call out by 7 days. Most people run it every day via an entry in the crontab, this avoids the TiVo sending warning messages about the scheduled call failing.

Darren King
02-06-2005, 06:54 PM
Yes. You can run a TiVo as a "dumb PVR" if that is your wish. I have one that has done this for well over a year as already outlined. You are not limited to 30 minute increments of recording if you use the manual record menu and specify your times/day/channel just like you do a VCR.

zollymonsta
02-06-2005, 08:28 PM

Here's some info from my self-written (just for my own notes really) document..

Telnet into your TiVo
cd /hack/etc/

cp crontab crontab.bak

(make a backup of your original file.. just in case ;) )

nano crontab
This will open your crontab file in the nano editor. Scroll down to the bottom where you will see something like the following.

# m h dom mon dow command
#*/10 * * * * touch /hack/touch.test
10 02 * * * fixtime.cron
59 04 * * 1 backup_hack

If you look at the above, you can see that the command fixtime.cron is set to
run at 02:10am each day.

We want to add a line to read the following.
10 03 * * * fixup30.tcl

This will run the script to keep TiVo happy, every morning at 3:10am

So, your crontab file will now read as follows…

# m h dom mon dow command
#*/10 * * * * touch /hack/touch.test
10 02 * * * fixtime.cron
59 04 * * 1 backup_hack
10 03 * * * /var/hack/bin/fixup30.tcl
10 01 * * * /var/hack/guide/loadguide

Make sure you have a blank line at the end of the file!

For full information on cron jobs, visit this website:
http://www.unixgeeks.org/security/newbie/unix/cron-1.html

Ok, we’ve edited the file. Now you need to save it.

Ctrl-X
Y

Press ‘Enter’ (to save as same filename)

When you're back at the prompt, type reboot and press enter.

Waa Laa!!! :)

morespam
03-06-2005, 08:06 PM
Thanks for all the info, very helpfull.