PDA

View Full Version : Problems With the Serial link

Ruzyho
17-04-2004, 02:44 PM
Hi, I have been having a problem getting the serial link to work, i get the garbage coming up then i get "bash: no job control in this shell

[TiVo [S3] ~]#" but if i type anything in nothing happens eg ls, i have checked the cable it seems fine, i have tried it at both 9600bps and 115200bps, i also went through the mailing list but couldnt find anything to help me. So i was just wondering whether any one had any suggestions

I also have a turbonet card in it but it isn't get an ip from the router/DHCP but it shows as connected on the switch. Well any ideas guys i'd appreciate it thanks.
Mark

Vertron
17-04-2004, 11:49 PM
Hi, I have been having a problem getting the serial link to work, i get the garbage coming up then i get "bash: no job control in this shell

Are we under the assumption that you are using the latest (1.3) emulator image from minnie? or had you done some alterations?

Best place to start is to tell us what image you are running? what kinda TiVo? what kinda hard drive? have you have done any alterations to it? did you make the cable yourself?

also, how are you checking that it's not getting an IP address via the turbonet card?

Ta

Ruzyho
18-04-2004, 09:00 AM
Sorry, yes i'm using the latest image from minnie no alterations, its a phillips 212, 120gig hdd nikimi brand.

I made the cable myself but have check the continuity with a mm between all the connections and the all seem ok.

For the ip address my router has a list of addresses that have been currently given out on the network, but i have also tried pinging and telneting to "oztivo" as it says to do in the faq. When i try to do the setup it says communication failed when using the turbonet.

Thanks
Mark

tenty
20-04-2004, 06:58 PM
Is this done from a clean install and starting up the TiVo for the first time? or have you already gone though the Guided Setup process?

Ruzyho
21-04-2004, 09:46 AM
Clean install and it fails to connect to the server saying communication error or something similar.

johnh
21-04-2004, 03:40 PM
I have found that the default speed for the serial connection is 9600.
If you get a prompt it should work.
What terminal program are you using (Hyperterm?).
When you type something it won't be echoed to the terminal unless you tell it to. You won't see what you type but it will be sent to the Tivo.
What happens if you type ls and then enter.
jh

Ruzyho
22-04-2004, 10:13 AM
Yep i am using Hyperterm, and have it set to echo to the screen and i type ls and then hit enter, and it just sits there like it isn't sending, ie i dont get a directory list, i just sits there and does nothing. So it seems like the cable send line isnt working but i have checked it with a multimeter and as far as i can tell it is connected fine. The next thing i think i'm going to do is probably buy one of the kodak cables, but i'll try and avoid that if i can.
Thanks
Mark
Ps has anyone got networking to work using a Billion Adsl modem/router using a turbonet and if so did it assign it a ip automatically or did u have to do something.

johnh
23-04-2004, 09:03 AM
You could try connecting the Tx to Rx on the phono plug to see if you get the characters sent back to Hyperterm.
jh