PDA

View Full Version : How to set timezone to GMT+12?

brucer
12-04-2004, 09:12 AM
I followed the instructions on the Tim's NZ Tivo page regarding setting timezone and using fixtivotime (eg copying new postcodezones file and Pacific/Auckland timezone file) but when I run fixtivotime it gives me the wrong time (the example below was run about 11:50am on Mon 12th April):

[TiVo [p0] ~]# fixtivotime
Our postcode is 00800. Found matching timezone Pacific/Auckland
Offset 0 for timezone GMT, daylight saving is 0
Connecting to time server 207.126.98.204
t was 3290717170 from server
t is now 1081728370
Time is 2004-04-12 00:06:10
Time set to: Mon Apr 12 00:06:10 2004
Have a nice day.
Time set to: Mon Apr 12 00:06:10 2004
Have a nice day.
[TiVo [p0] ~]#

Any ideas? Thanks!

ehintz
12-04-2004, 10:52 AM
I'm still not quite entirely clear with what's correct, but I have found what works... Set timezone to 0, and use settime to set to local time. I realize the Tivo's supposed to run GMT and correct for timezones, but that b0rks the guide data. I'm thinking this may be a result of having guide data in a non-standard format (localtime vs gmt) but it's entirely possible I have my cranium firmly implanted in my rectum on this, so if anybody has more authoritative comments I'll defer to them...

zollymonsta
13-04-2004, 03:05 PM
I followed the instructions on the Tim's NZ Tivo page regarding setting timezone and using fixtivotime (eg copying new postcodezones file and Pacific/Auckland timezone file) but when I run fixtivotime it gives me the wrong time (the example below was run about 11:50am on Mon 12th April):

Hi Brucer, I think you've missed a vital step..
do the following.

cd /var/hack/bin
timezoneadj30.tcl
At the prompt enter ‘7’ and press enter.
it should then say something like it's set to GMT.

then run fixtivotime again and see if it corrects your problem.

Another thing is you may have answered 'yes' to observe daylight savings time during guided setup, whereas the answer should be no. That might be why the time is an hour or so out.

ZollyMonsta

brucer
14-04-2004, 08:10 AM
I did set timezone to 7 and answer no to daylight saving. I'll have to try the whole thing again as I restored the original postcodezones file, reset timezone to zero and used settime to set the correct time but now it goes back 2 hours every night (presumably the fixtime cron job). arghh! the first time I set the tivo up I did none of this and the time just worked..

zollymonsta
14-04-2004, 08:59 AM
I did set timezone to 7 and answer no to daylight saving. I'll have to try the whole thing again as I restored the original postcodezones file, reset timezone to zero and used settime to set the correct time but now it goes back 2 hours every night (presumably the fixtime cron job). arghh! the first time I set the tivo up I did none of this and the time just worked..

Ahh well, at least it's not as bad as having to do a re-image. I only got mine about two weeks ago and I've already re-imaged at least 3-4 times.

:D

brucer
14-04-2004, 12:14 PM
I've also re-imaged mine 3 times in the 2 weeks I've had it :D

zollymonsta
14-04-2004, 12:42 PM
I've also re-imaged mine 3 times in the 2 weeks I've had it :D
Ah well, it's all part of the fun. :)

17-04-2004, 01:38 PM
Bruce,

Your got the same damn prob as me! I also installed rtimetz and stupid thing insists on 0 GMT. I think we are missing a timezone file for our regions (Syd and Auckland), but the box says it has one!!!

According to info I have read the latest rtimetz allows for daylight savings. All I can assume is there is either a config statement we need to use, or a timezone file.

Hopefully someone will help.

I searched the mailing lists and its no joy there!

deanm
03-05-2004, 07:45 AM
:confused:

I've re-imaged twice.. and followed the instructions to the letter.
Anyone had any joy fixing this?

:) rock'n forum btw.. long time lurker.. 1st time poster

deanm
03-05-2004, 07:48 AM
just found this thread..

I'm out by exactly 12hrs.. have used settime as an interim measure..

brucer
03-05-2004, 09:35 AM
Hi Dean, I think the timezone instructions are broken, if you reimage but don't run guided setup and don't fiddle with the timezone it works fine, alternatively, if you follow the instructions to setup for the emulator it also works fine.. either way there is no need to touch the time or timezone settings manually.

Bruce

zollymonsta
03-05-2004, 12:16 PM
If you're in NZ.. then check out the NZTivo webpage how to..
There is a method on there of how to get it working for NZ Auckland Time and where to find the file (I think the file is on there to download too), which I wrote and works perfect on my system.

deanm
03-05-2004, 12:31 PM
If you're in NZ.. then check out the NZTivo webpage how to..
There is a method on there of how to get it working for NZ Auckland Time and where to find the file (I think the file is on there to download too), which I wrote and works perfect on my system.

Thats what I have been following (as I am in NZ)... I am using the 1.3 release oztivo image 'tho. I even went so far as to re-image and start from scratch.. and still 12 hrs out.. time is perfect.. just out by exactly 12 hrs. :(

deanm
03-05-2004, 12:34 PM
cheers bruce.. I'll try that tonight... :)

tenty
03-05-2004, 05:21 PM
Since brucer posted the same thing in the in 2 different forums, I have merged the two together to reduce confusion.....

Cheers