PDA

View Full Version : Thumbs not saving

MrGadget
31-03-2005, 09:56 AM
One time... I recorded sport, now Tivo insists on suggesting sport of all sorts. I went through and gave two or three thumbs down to all sports that I did not like, but a few days later (seems to be after the next guide data download) back come the suggestions with no specified thumbs (and Tivo giving a predicted thumb up).
Repeated attempts at this have resulted in the same issue... any ideas?
Of possible interest (?) - I do reboot daily (around 3am) - not sure if that's important or not.

Darren King
31-03-2005, 11:37 AM
Quite possibly a change was made to the database and has not picked up on the key words it associates with your liking. If you have not had your TiVo long it takes a while for it to fully sort out what you do and do not want. Give it time.

In answer to rebooting: Why do you want to do that? A happily running TiVo should work day in and day out with out this requirement.

MrGadget
31-03-2005, 11:56 AM
I've had my Tivo around 8 months, and for the most part the thumbs seem to have been working. However over the past two weeks or so my thumbs don't seem to remain past the daily call.

As for the reboot - my Tivo tends to lock up on a semi regular (every 3-7 days) timeframe - the daily reboot is a pre-emptive measure which seems to have a good amount of success.

Quite possibly a change was made to the database and has not picked up on the key words it associates with your liking. If you have not had your TiVo long it takes a while for it to fully sort out what you do and do not want. Give it time.

In answer to rebooting: Why do you want to do that? A happily running TiVo should work day in and day out with out this requirement.

zollymonsta
31-03-2005, 02:01 PM
As for the reboot - my Tivo tends to lock up on a semi regular (every 3-7 days) timeframe - the daily reboot is a pre-emptive measure which seems to have a good amount of success.

Why not set it in the crontab file to do the reboot once every 3rd or 4th day, rather than everyday. Perhaps poor TiVo is getting confused :)

tcn33
31-03-2005, 05:46 PM

I've been having much the same issue, except that mine locks up more like every 1-2 days. Picture freezes (but not always), pushing buttons on the remote does nothing, happens during live TV and in TiVo menus... any idea what could be causing it?

I'm amenable to reimaging the drive if it'll help, since I haven't had it long enough to really have much saved on there.

zollymonsta
01-04-2005, 10:23 AM
A re-image may help. The latest ISO has some nice stuff on it too.

Strangely, I've never had the picture freeze. The only problem I usually have is the remote stops responding, so I initate a reboot.

Darren King
01-04-2005, 02:46 PM
It could either be software based or hardware. I've had a couple of boards exhibit this problem and it was in the MPEG decoding section that caused it.

You can try a reimage with the latest release if you have nothing to lose, but if you have too many recordings you want to keep then I suggest trying a test hard disk first. If you have access to a smallish drive (say 4GB and up) this will be good enough to rule out the hardware.

thomson
01-04-2005, 04:44 PM
The only problem I usually have is the remote stops responding, so I initate a reboot.

Under version 3.0 of the software this is usually caused by a process that hooks into the event system and later stops responding or is unable to process waiting events. It is commonly known as the '3.0 event bug'. To help reduce the risk you may wish to watch what TivoWeb modules and utilities you run. Modules such as 'Phone' hook into the event handler to perform various tasks.