PDA

View Full Version : Sky's PVR

fixxer37
30-03-2005, 04:55 AM
I know rumours of if/when Sky here will do the same as Sky+ in the UK by launching it's own PVR - so to add to the rumour mill, It looks as though it may come into fruition sooner than later.
A mate of mine was part of a focus group last week with Sky TV, who gave some preliminary specs of a PVR that they'll launch, and gave http://www.plusworld.co.uk/ as a reference for the model(s) that they're going with.
He also confirmed that it'll have 160Gb (60hrs) and 2 tuners - able to record 2 sky channels at once.
They are loooking at launching it at around $399
I know that the Sky PVR has been mentioned in the past, and it's supposed to come out late this year or early next, but I thought that confirmation of a focus group on the subject and price shows a possible time frame.

....still will always love TiVo tho...

On different note - can I offer a brand-new Turbonet card for sale, Tested perfect, never used other than test, bought with a spare Tivo. $75NZ Will include courier within NZ. --update, taken now!

timmy
30-03-2005, 06:03 PM
<rant class="bored">
Sky TV. It's like some sort of joke company or something lol... how many more months/years do they need to roll out a PVR service.
ooh two tuners so u can record two lots of old movie repeats :P

The only thing I am half curious about is whether they will actually let you skip adverts. Personally I just don't see them doing it but if they are pricing it high enough the actual number of customers will be low anyway for quite some time.
</rant>

ahem. sorry for that. I don't even have Sky (havent for months). Tivo/FTA for news and doco's and the Internet (Bittorrent/RSS) for everything else.

cheers,

TiM

madcow555
31-03-2005, 06:12 AM
I will take that if you still have it.

Got a second Tivo the other day as a swap for one of my HTPC cases... now it is time to start the Tivo fun. I am in Auckland.

fixxer37
31-03-2005, 02:37 PM
I have read the old links on the Tivo/Sky+ comparison, and am glad I don't have to wait for a PVR from Sky - the whole interface looks Nasssty, and will continue with TiVo. The post was really just adding a price and timeframe for any visitors still deciding on Tivo / Letting other friends and family know what's coming up so they don't waste money on a DVDrec/HDD etc or have to bother setting them up a TiVo!

I'd like two channels at once, it seems that when the only good shows on FTA are on they double up with something on another channel - and we make good use of sky, regardless of double ups and rubbish... But I don't think the interface etc is worth it...

Wanted
01-04-2005, 06:21 AM
There's always 2 tivo's and 2 decoders. I want to do that but don't have ethernet to the room with my second tv and decoder for the updates. :(

clive
20-06-2005, 11:47 AM
<rant class="bored">
Sky TV. It's like some sort of joke company or something lol... how many more months/years do they need to roll out a PVR service.
ooh two tuners so u can record two lots of old movie repeats :P

The only thing I am half curious about is whether they will actually let you skip adverts. Personally I just don't see them doing it but if they are pricing it high enough the actual number of customers will be low anyway for quite some time.
</rant>

According to this story from Stuff (http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3318494a28,00.html), launch is planned for Xmas (aah, '05 I guess). Looks like Pace is the box provider and they have even touched on the squeamish issue of ad skipping. Any volunteers for a "focus group"? :D

thomson
07-09-2005, 10:13 AM
Due on sale 5th December. http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3401946a13,00.html

petestrash
07-09-2005, 11:33 AM
There's always 2 tivo's and 2 decoders. I want to do that but don't have ethernet to the room with my second tv and decoder for the updates. :(

A pair of wireless bridges can fix that AUD$300. Or just one for AUD$150 if you already have a wireless network at home.

Peter.

zollymonsta
07-09-2005, 01:27 PM
Story is on www.nzherald.co.nz under 'technology and science'

You can fast forward.. but there is no 'skip' button to skip past the ads.

jaidev
07-09-2005, 08:51 PM
Here is what sky sent me confirming details and specs..

Hello,

We are now pleased to be able to confirm the following:

"MY SKY" is a digital set-top box that uses a hard-disk drive to record and replay content from more than 80 SKY channels including sports, movies, news, documentaries, lifestyle, music and general entertainment programming. "MY SKY" is the only device of its kind that will integrate with SKY's state-of-the-art digital Electronic Programme Guide. This means that with a single touch of a button, viewers can select from the on-screen programme guide the programmes that they want to record.

"MY SKY" records up to 60 hours of television to be viewed at any time. Subscribers to this innovative SKY service will have increased control over their viewing through a range of revolutionary functions including the ability to pause live TV, record two channels at once, record at the touch of a button without needing videotapes as well as the ability to programme "MY SKY" to automatically record every episode of a favourite series.

In conjunction with the new service, SKY is streamlining and updating its Electronic Programme Guide. Subscribers will find it easy to record their favourite programme thanks to an on-screen "scroll and select" menu arranged by genres such as sport, movies, news, kids, documentary, and general entertainment.

Subscribers don't need to be technologically savvy to enjoy the new "MY SKY" service. Key benefits for consumers are its ease-of-use and after sales support. "MY SKY" has clear advantages over the purchase of other personal digital recording devices sold on a stand alone basis. The "MY SKY" warranty never runs out and SKY will service the box if there are any faults. "MY SKY" will never be outdated as SKY has the ability to continually upgrade "MY SKY" ensuring subscribers have access to the latest technology, functionality and features which SKY will continue to introduce.

"MY SKY" will be available to both new and existing SKY subscribers from 5th December 2005 for a one-off connection fee of $599.00. There will be no extra monthly subscription fee.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

GENERAL

Operating Voltage: 230V AC+15%; 50Hz

Power Consumption: 35 W (max)

Weight: 4.5kg (packed)

Dimensions (W x H x D): 390mm x 62mm x 265mm

UHF modulator: CCIR PAL System G; CH 21 to 69

(factory setting is 24)

Operating temperature range: 0°C to +50°C

Storage temperature range; -25°C to +55°C

REAR PANEL CONNECTORS

240V ~ 50 Hz: (Power input) IEC 320 2-pin reversible

Telephone line: RJ11 female

VCR SCART SCART (composite video out/loop thru; S-Video out/loop thru; RGB loop thru: Component loop thru)

TV SCART SCART (composite video out; RGB out; S-Video out; Component out)

Audio R and L Right and left phono (RCA) audio out

S-Video Out 4-way mini-DIN

Video Out Phono (RCA) composite video out

Digital Audio Out Electrical S/PDIF phono (RCA) out

Optical Audio Out Optical S/PDIF digital-audio out

RS232 Serial connector 9-way Female D type

USB Single USB (1.1) Type A

Aerial In IEC 169-2 female

RF Out - 1 IEC 169-2 male

RF Out - 2 IEC 169-2 male

Input 1 and 2 (Satellite PDR) 2 x IEC 169-24 F-type female

It is a Pace decoder.

We will be updating our website www.skytv.co.nz with any further developments along with various other forms of advertising including television promos to keep customers and potential customers informed.

Lurker
07-09-2005, 09:33 PM
well, similar to UK Sky+then . Good thing is they are not trying to charge extra for the Guide Data but, as suspected explains why no HDD recorder here or Microsoft Media Centre can get Guide Data provision (can we all hum " lets corner the market" :p )

$599 is not a bad price either compared to UK Sky+

And nice to see SCART - hurrah! Mind you with then NZ retailers and supply chain busy trying to get rid of SCART in favour of Component someone is going to get Egg on their face - " oh yes mr Customer just use the yellow plug - snort"

Still prefer my Tivo though - then again Gigabytes AVPC is kinda cute - PC that looks just like a Panny DVD/HDD. Seen one open on a supliers workbench the other day - tight fit inside to get the low profile - 2 fans too although quiet enough

Chris

timmy
08-09-2005, 04:59 AM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&ObjectID=10344416

well it's good to see they weren't completely stupid and disabled fastforwarding adverts. Perhaps it wasn't technically possible, haha kidding.

tivo rules!

now if only I watched sky tv... NOT

TiM

brucer
08-09-2005, 08:00 AM
Hmmm.. I love my Tivo too but... 2 tuners, direct digital recording (way better quality) and no EPG worries is really quite tempting isn't it?

jaidev
08-09-2005, 08:43 AM
The Scart output supports both RGB and Component out, you just need the right cable from Sky I gather, as normally to go from Scart (RGB) to component you need an active converter so those cables (scart to component) aren't easily available, since they wouldn't work normally. Changing the Scart to output component will be a settings change in the STB menus.

Lurker
10-09-2005, 10:29 AM
Yeah must admit confused by the whole RGB/Component issue. This is what I have gethered although I could be totally wrong

Scart is the physical plug format which, I believe, outputs either RGB (fully wired) or Svideo plus sound as RGB/Svideo/Composite are the same family of signal (going from best to worst quality) whereas Component is not only a different (incompatible) way to transmit signals but is also a name for the 3 individual physical connectors.

Many TV in NZ used to use Svideo and Composite connectors - and SCART connectors. With the upsurge in DVD players with Component out and, more recently DVD Recorders with the same TV manufacturers (Save Panasonic) and in particular Philips have dropped the SCART connectors in favour of a single Component connector.

Which is a real bitch as all my DVD, Tivo, Satellite box (UK - not used) and VCR all use SCART.

I spent ages on the phone to Philips - long story about a replacement TV that ony had Component inputs) and the suggestion from the technician was use Svideo. Although the Manual CLAIMED the TV had "RGB Component" connectors the techie could not tell me if that meant I gould feed a SCART RGB signal through a simple non - electronic convertor to Component.

I belived not but DSE has one of these - god knows how they sell any if it does not work tho!

Came up with nothing and when talking to retailers, who (aside from knowing very little about their product) were given the line to feed that SCART was "a European standard not relevant to New Zealand". They seemed befuddled when I asked what the "New Zealand" developed connector they were pushing was - and I hoped it was not some other foreign developed rubbish not relevant to NZ like...Composite, Svideo or Component - the look on their faces was worth it! :p

Eventually they said they were told that you plug DVD into the component and anything else like VHS or decoder boxes into the "yellow port" - OMFG talk about a large step back to the stone age!

I then would ask what people used those rectangular things on the sky boxes for? - whereupon they said Sky would not use those funny rectangular connectors in future so it is nice to see SKY PVR will have SCART - hopefully making Philips et al change their Connector blocks to reincorporatre a nice civilised input like SCART.

The problem is mainly the newer TV have 1 Component, 1 SVideo and several Composite - whereas the old had up to 3 SCART so I could plug everything in. Even with 2 SCART I could put DVD, Tivo, STB, VCR all on to 1 TV allowing VCR and Tivo to record different channels and DVD to play at the same time. If I was really keen I could use a cheap manual RGB SCART switch to put Xbox, PS2 and DVD all on 1 SCART and the rest on the other allowing me to wire the Consoles'sound though my home cinema amp (mmmm Halo in 5.1 - yummy).

I am going to have to figure out how to cable up my Tivo to my new TV eventually - probalby use SCART for cabling between my boxes and SCART to SVIDEO cable from Tivo to TV - but I would rather not have the loss of quality particularly as the Monster Cable Scart to Svideo cable I had for projector work does not have sound plugs! :rolleyes:

Chris

Lurker
10-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Hmm 2 comments after thinking about it

"no additional subscription charge"

As you can record 2 channels does this mean no charge above basic sub or no charge above the sub for 2 decoders?

Second thoughts $599 charge for conenction - i.e. you do not own the box???? that is a bit off.... mind you the box can't be used if no sub (if same as SKY+ - reverts to simple single channel decoder without sub). Although would be interesting to see if Sky+ would work in NZ - bring over own SKY+ box, get normal sub with card and avoid the $599 charge :rolleyes:

petestrash
11-09-2005, 04:42 PM
Second thoughts $599 charge for conenction - i.e. you do not own the box???? that is a bit off.... mind you the box can't be used if no sub (if same as SKY+ - reverts to simple single channel decoder without sub). Although would be interesting to see if Sky+ would work in NZ - bring over own SKY+ box, get normal sub with card and avoid the $599 charge :rolleyes:

A lot of boxes today are married to their smartcard. So a sky NZ card may not work with a UK sky+ box.

Peter

jaidev
23-09-2005, 11:54 AM
Hmmm.. I love my Tivo too but... 2 tuners, direct digital recording (way better quality) and no EPG worries is really quite tempting isn't it?

I don't think it'll be quite that smooth. Sky used internal focus group to beta test it, in the short time frame for release I bet they wouldn't 'use/test it' to the extent that we advanced pvr users would.

I'd expect the following, STB crashing due to buggy software, EPG errors, and the killer is, lots of series links (season passes) not working or even available, for FTA Sky will rely on the broadcasters provded EPG data having the relevant series link (season pass) info.

Since there is no monthly charge for the guide, then I see no real development would be done on the EPG, it will be useable but not great.