PDA

View Full Version : Help With Setup in Sydney

medkraft
20-03-2005, 10:09 PM
I've managed to install the ISO software to the hard disk, install the disk in a series 1 Tivo from the US (thanks George) and hook up a wireless ethernet bridge to connect the Tivo to the net, but have since run into all sorts of problems (there are too many to ask on this forum).

If there's someone in Sydney (Neutral Bay) who does house calls I'd appreciate a call.

Of course I'm more than happy to pay.

Thanks... Tom

Darren King
21-03-2005, 11:51 AM
First up, welcome.

but have since run into all sorts of problems (there are too many to ask on this forum).

Like what? From the sounds of it you have at least gotten as far as the first dialup screen in the Guided Setup and maybe it fails on you at this point?

If the above assumption is correct then you have not configured your wireless bridge correctly. If further then you have connection. So what specifically are your troubles?

Also by "wireless bridge" do you mean a clunky-to-get-setup-but-fine-when-working "airnet" with PCMCIA card or do you mean a turbonet (or cachecard) with an ethernet-to-wireless adaptor?

medkraft
21-03-2005, 09:22 PM
Thanks Darren,

It's probably not as bad it seems, but after hours of trying various setups, I'm just looking for the quick fix. However, if you willing to give it a go, so am I.

Like what? From the sounds of it you have at least gotten as far as the first dialup screen in the Guided Setup and maybe it fails on you at this point?

I thought I had successfully made it through the setup. But when I tried to watch live TV I sooner realized it wasn't the case. I assume it has something to do with the current setup. Here's a snap shot of how I have I currently have the connections.

Photo of current Tivo setup. (http://www.mediakraft.com/tivo-setup.jpg)

A: RF connection from wall to VCR
B: RF connection from VCR to TV
C: AV connection from VCR to Tivo
D: AV connection from Tivo to TV
E: IR blaster plug

Also by "wireless bridge" do you mean a clunky-to-get-setup-but-fine-when-working "airnet" with PCMCIA card or do you mean a turbonet (or cachecard) with an ethernet-to-wireless adaptor?

I've got an external D-Link DWL-810+ ethernet bridge connected via a cachecard supplied by George. It appears to have made the call during setup and downloaded the data as I could see the channel guide after setup (just not the actual channels).

Interstingly, while I'm able to see the router when I ping the IP address of the ethernet bridge I haven't been able to telnet or ping oztivo or connect via telent to the IP address. I keep getting the following message when I try to telnet Tivo: Could not open a connection to host on port 23 : Connection Failed which I assume is due to the router settings (I'm just not sure what I need to change in the Netgear FM114P Router to make it work).

I'm sure there may be other issues, but this is the start of my troubles.

Thanks to everyone who have contributed to the Tivo site/forum to date. I've spent many hours reading/lurking which is likely the only reason I've made it as far as I have.

Thanks... Tom

Darren King
22-03-2005, 07:11 AM
Can't help you much with the wireless bridge, but if it made the setup calls (which it has) then not much to worry about there.

Regarding your setup that should work. What you are doing from what I can see is using your VCR as the tuner. This is fine (it's clunky but it works..... an internal PAL tuner eliminates all this) so long as you remember the following things:

* In Guided Setup you should have picked "Cable" only.

* As explained in the online setup notes located here http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Install/GuidedSetup30

"If you are setting up a VCR, you are going to have to choose a lineup that allows you to receive FTA stations. You have two options. You can choose your region's Analog FTA (Antenna) lineup: this will give you channel numbers ranging from 2 to 70. Or you can choose your state's Digital FTA lineup: this will give you channel numbers ranging from 1 to 10. Regardless, you will need to set your VCR up so that it matches the channel numbering on the TiVo. Alternatively the TiVo? channel numbers can be changed to match your VCR channel numbering by following the instructions at ChangeChannelNumber."

WHat that effectively means is first of all you are going to have to ensure your TiVo has the correct IR Blaster codes to change the VCR channel and that the channel changing codes corresponds to your VCR tuned stations. I've not had much experience with IR Blasters so I cannot help you here, sorry.

With the setup depicted in your attached picture, in this situation you will need the TV on it's A/V channel to see the TiVo. Can you see the startup animation or main menu if you do this? You should.

Points to note about your setup is that your VCR is mono only and you are only feeding the sound into the left A/V input to the TIVo. This is fine however remember that all recordings done and sound out of your TV will be only one channel only. You may wish to invest in a "Y-Plug" to overcome this so the mono output from the VCR is fed to both left/right inputs of the TiVo.

Hope that (sort of) helps.

medkraft
22-03-2005, 06:38 PM
In Guided Setup you should have picked "Cable" only

I did pick Cable. Where I think I went wrong was selecting "No I do not have a cable box" under the heading Cable Box. I'm assuming I should have selected "Yes, I have a cable box" and then "Cable w/o a box"under Connections to Recorder. Am I on the right track?

Alternatively the TiVo? channel numbers can be changed to match your VCR channel numbering by following the instructions at ChangeChannelNumber.

As I haven't been able to telnet into Tivo I'll have to try to align the VCR and Tivo channels for now. I could see the startup animation after setup so I assume the rest of my connections are correct.

Thanks for the confirmation.... Tom

Darren King
22-03-2005, 07:10 PM
Hi Tom

Yes that is correct regarding your software setup.

If you can see the TiVo that is good. It means you have your connections OK, and by your picture this looks correct. It's just software now.

Cheers, and sorry I can't help with the wireless adaptor. You do know you can also sign up to the email group list over at www.oztivo.com where other people that do not frequent here may be able to help?

medkraft
22-03-2005, 07:39 PM
Thanks again Darren.... Tom

roughana
10-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Hey Tom,

I'm located just up the road in Naremburn and could offer moral support at the very least. Feel free to pm if you want another brain to work on it.

Cheers,
Andrew

Darren King
10-05-2005, 05:25 PM
Done and dusted. After between us working out it being a hard drive issue Tom has gone on to getting a working TiVo (time to change that signature Tom!) :)

Of course it's nice to see someone offering their help which is much appreciated.