PDA

View Full Version : pal tivo

Happy
14-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Hey folks,

New to tivo so please be gentle ... I want to get a uk tivo so it is already pal'ified :) and obviously series 1. Anyone have any online shopping links I can go to, finding it a bit hard to locate one.

Looking at the Phillips HDR312 but I'm not sure if that is a series 1 or 2.

Here's where you come in Darren ;) is it easy to get one from the US, ship to you to have modded then shipped to me here in perth? Is it going to cost me a fortune in postage?

I guess that is why I'm looking at a PAL one so all I have to do is throw some hdd's in it!

Thanks,
Happy.

Darren King
15-03-2005, 08:16 AM
Hey folks,

New to tivo so please be gentle ...

/me dons on "gentle" whacking stick :)

I want to get a uk tivo so it is already pal'ified :) and obviously series 1. Anyone have any online shopping links I can go to, finding it a bit hard to locate one.

You can't. Thompson (UK) TiVo is no longer sold as TiVo in UK no longer exists for any new customers, only existing customers. Best bet is ebay but be warned it will cost a hell of a lot more to buy a UK TiVo over a USA TiVo and they are not widely supported by OzTiVo anyway with only a small handful of them here.

Looking at the Phillips HDR312 but I'm not sure if that is a series 1 or 2.

Series 1 Stand-Alone USA TiVo. Any of the HDRx12 series is suitable for use here the only difference in the x number is the original hard drive size - none of which even come close to the mamoth sized drives you can add here (eg 200, 250 and beyond).

Here's where you come in Darren ;) is it easy to get one from the US, ship to you to have modded then shipped to me here in perth? Is it going to cost me a fortune in postage?

Yes. I suggest talking to George at www.eksys.com for the TiVo as he can supply all the bits (minus tuner which I do) and offers a warranty on the TiVo. Far better than taking your chances on ebay. As for me it is usually $35 to post a TiVo from Melbourne to Perth registered with $500. I suggest you either call me or email me (details in signature) and we can discuss further everything you need to know.

I guess that is why I'm looking at a PAL one so all I have to do is throw some hdd's in it!

Not much to a USA one anyway, and if you don't want the PAL tuner - as in you are going to use an external video source like a VCR or STB - then honestly you are gaining nothing getting a UK TiVo.

Happy
16-03-2005, 12:27 AM
cheers for info Darren, you have email!