PDA

View Full Version : wireless questions

tcn33
10-03-2005, 07:04 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations/horror stories about specific wireless routers for use with Airnet cards? I'm going to need to get one pretty soon, so any feedback anyone has would be very helpful.

Also, I'm guessing if I have an Airnet card, I don't need a Turbonet card or cache card, correct?

elarbee
10-03-2005, 07:35 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations/horror stories about specific wireless routers for use with Airnet cards? I'm going to need to get one pretty soon, so any feedback anyone has would be very helpful.

Also, I'm guessing if I have an Airnet card, I don't need a Turbonet card or cache card, correct?

Although I didn't use an Airnet card ( I used a Turbnet card with a wireless bridge attached to it ) I found the Netgear stuff pretty good. I was using a WGR614 until I purchased a DG834G. Both worked find in our house ( 4 x 2 brick single story )

And yes, if you purchase an Airnet card, you won't need Turbonet or Cachecard ( the Cachecard is a network card that allows you to add RAM for improved performance )

HTH

Liam

Darren King
11-03-2005, 07:52 AM
Personal preference for me is to discourage an internal airnet card but instead to use a turbonet or cachecard and an ethernet-to-wireless bridge.

Why? Because for numerous reasons:

1. A TiVo is an enclosed metal box. Having an internal wireless card means you won't get far unless you do some surgery to cut out the metal work behind the front plastic faceplate or use a wireless card with the capability of connecting an external antenna or have your wireless hub close to the TiVo.

2. Not all PCMCIA card are compatible with the Airnet adaptor. In fact as time goes on the correct type of card is getting harder to find.

3. If you have a problem it is far easier to unplug the wireless bridge and plug your TiVo into your wired hub to diagnose the problem.

4. If you intend to transfer video then wireless will be slow and frustrating to say the least as it tends to bog down (from my experience anyway). At least if you have a turbonet or cachecard you can always temporarily wire in your TiVo to your network while doing this.

5. Sometimes an internal wireless card can cause some sound glitches if you have a PAL tuner fitted. This is because you are emitting radio waves inside an enclosed TiVo that can interfere with the radio-frequency sections of the tuner and stereo decoder. It does not happen often but has been known to on occasions.

HTH