PDA

View Full Version : where does one get a null modem cable/adaptor from?

starchee
01-02-2005, 02:32 AM
i believe i messed up and ordered a normal serial cable, so i need to know howto either a) change it into a null modem cable, b) where to purchase the adaptor from, or c) where id buy an actual null modem cable

i tried googling but man, it was confusing! making your own cables sounds pretty complicated

Darren King
01-02-2005, 07:44 AM
George sells them, or I make them up if required.

Where did you order a "normal" cable from? If it was from George you have ordered the correct thing already.

DavidSymons
01-02-2005, 09:25 AM
Hi,

Or you could take the first steps to becoming a Soldering Legend and make up your own:

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Hardware/MakingSerialCable

You should see my serial cable, there's solder everywhere and gouges in the plug where the iron melted it but it still works. I reckon I'm ready to be let loose on a motherboard now :) .

Cheers, Dave (the Soldering Numpty).

zollymonsta
01-02-2005, 09:44 AM
Hi,

Or you could take the first steps to becoming a Soldering Legend and make up your own:

Noooooooooooooooo! There can only be ONE soldering legend. *Bows to Mr King*

;)

Darren King
01-02-2005, 11:00 AM
LOL!

Actually there is a "solder-less" way which is how I do it.

SHOCK HORROR!!! I can see the headlines now: " 'Soldering Legend' uses solderless way of making a serial lead.... film at eleven".

I purchased a heap of 3.5mm to 3.5mm 3 metre long leads from Jaycar ages ago when they were throwing them out. I cut these in half. I use a DB9 to RJ45 adaptor backshell that I buy from WES components and crimp on an RJ45 to the end of these leads. Voila. One TiVo serial lead.

starchee
01-02-2005, 03:50 PM
my problem is the connector. its the bit that the uh, bits, go into. as is my pc/notebook/etc/etc!

so i think i just need an adaptor.. gonna zoom to dick smiths and hope they have one there :op

meanwhile, thats this black cord with 2 um.. black things coming off of it? looks like the remote reciever or something? what hole does it to into?

and! wee.. looks like i imaged the hdd correctly, plugged it in correctly, and yay it works plugged into my tv tuner so i can fiddle with it while sitting at the pc and not have to move while trying to figure stuff out :)

DavidSymons
01-02-2005, 04:07 PM
Hi starchee,

meanwhile, thats this black cord with 2 um.. black things coming off of it? looks like the remote reciever or something? what hole does it to into?That's the Infrared Blaster cable for controlling (ie changing channels on) the VCR/STB that you use as your TV source (if you don't have the Tuner-Mod).

It plugs into the socket marked "IR":

http://www.eklecticsystems.com/Pix/HDRrear.jpg

Cheers, Dave.