PDA

View Full Version : NZTivo bbq

timmy
07-01-2005, 02:22 PM
hey all,

Damn ozzies and their bbq's...
Anyone keen for a get together.
Would be cool to put a face to some of the names and share ideas and maybe invigorate the community a bit, etc not to mention some good old geek fun.

Prolly have to be in auckland as the majority of folks probably located there right? Damn dorklanders u win again..

so who's keen?

Thinking maybe early february but time/place, etc open for debate.

TiM

slangnz
08-01-2005, 05:58 AM
I'd definately be keen alright... And, as you suspect, I live in Auckland.

badcat
08-01-2005, 08:17 AM
yep - i'm keen.

ken - yes and in auckland...

hey all,

Damn ozzies and their bbq's...
Anyone keen for a get together.
Would be cool to put a face to some of the names and share ideas and maybe invigorate the community a bit, etc not to mention some good old geek fun.

Prolly have to be in auckland as the majority of folks probably located there right? Damn dorklanders u win again..

so who's keen?

Thinking maybe early february but time/place, etc open for debate.

TiM

Rabsoft
08-01-2005, 10:54 AM
Yep I'm always up for a BBQ :)

And yes I am in Auckland too

tenty
08-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Once you've got yourselves set up, please let me know by emailing me or sending me a private message and I'll post an anouncement for you ;)

Cheers
-Tenty
(Your Friendly OzTiVo Forums Administrator)

TerminalAddict
10-01-2005, 07:46 AM
I'm keen.
NOT IN AUCKLAND :) :woot:

Waikato boy ;)

zollymonsta
10-01-2005, 10:28 AM
I'm keen.. but I'm in Wellington (Auckland scares me!)

:cool:

timmy
11-01-2005, 02:47 PM
yeah i'm in waikato too.
Hmm... anyone in auck want to volunteer to host it? haha sorry I can't..

Maybe someone with patio area or something. Hell even park would be doable. I dont know..

Anyway, Grant, Wellington folks. You happy/able to come up to Aucks?

cheers all,

TiM

thomson
11-01-2005, 04:58 PM

Auckland is a bit of a stretch for a meet... that's why we have such marvellous things as Forums :)

zollymonsta
12-01-2005, 07:38 AM

Hehe.. not really. As I said 'Auckland scares me'. LOL

GregMoore
12-01-2005, 08:49 AM
Hi I'm interested in a BBQ - (Auckland) but I must say that I don't think I will be holding on to my TIVO for long as I am moving on to a PC PVR ... .

Regards Greg

zollymonsta
12-01-2005, 10:44 AM
:eek: But WHY??

I used to use a PC DVR and it doesn't compare in any way to the quality of a TiVo!

Just curious :)

ehintz
12-01-2005, 11:42 AM
No AKL for me... I will be in Hamilton for NZNOG on 3-4 Feb, but dunno if I'd really have time for one then... C'est la vie eh?

thomson
12-01-2005, 11:49 AM
I used to use a PC DVR and it doesn't compare in any way to the quality of a TiVo!

Off topic
I am inclinded to agree here... The issues I have with PC systems is with the noise and remote interface... while the remote interface issues have (on the whole) been resolved, there is still a problem with noise, heat and power consumption of a PC based solution. Quiet PC solutions are available but many video and tuner cards also have fans on them. If you are able to hide the PC away in a cupboard somewhere then it could be viable... However, you should also remember that a TiVo will consume about a tenth of the power of a high end PC solution.

If you are still keen on a PC soluton then you might like to have a look at the EPG collector mentioned here (http://www.reveninteractive.tk/) as well as the free PVR software mentioned here (http://www.gbpvr.com/).

GregMoore
12-01-2005, 12:20 PM
MCE 2005 is very slick and I want a networked environment -the plan is to build 5 x PC DVR - dinning room,Kitchen,Kids,master bedroom , Wife PC and mine . Noise can be dealt to . I don't think quality is a issue anymore and the EPG is easy . The PC doesn't have to look like a PC - checkout the links to see what I mean - I have just spent a few weeks comparing all the flavours and I have decided to try MCE 2005.

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/373/move_over_tivo

http://www.arisetec.com/products/HT-400.htm

I hadn't thought about heat but in the particular installs heat is not a issue.
Power consumption yes I expect that will be an issue but we do have a spa pool and everything pales in comparison to that sucker.

Also there are some interfaces to home automation you can do through MCE (I live in a smarthome)

If a series II could work in NZ I might reconcider.

Regards Greg

PS:I work in the broadcasting Industry (20 yrs ) as a video tape editor - not that there is much tape anymore

jaidev
13-01-2005, 11:17 AM
and the EPG is easy .

How do you mean easy? Easy to use?
Since there is no EPG in NZ for MCE.

tenty
13-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Not that I'm one to complain, but for tidy sake, do we want to move the MCE discussion into another thread and leave these for BBQs :)

zollymonsta
13-01-2005, 12:45 PM
Not that I'm one to complain, but for tidy sake, do we want to move the MCE discussion into another thread and leave these for BBQs :)

Good Idea! :D

timmy
13-01-2005, 07:58 PM
haha fighting a continuous battle Tenty... tho i agree with you.

single thread discussion model vs actual human conversation (different thoughts on same/similar/related subjects (ie tangents) but all related in a multitude of ways). It's a shame such software paradigms dont exist yet though wiki's are the closest thing to it I suppose.

but yeah. Reckon if u got something to say start a new thread and avoid diverging the current thread if you can. Hey i start new threads, and half time not even tivo related. LOL sorry. Always interesting when someone posts new thread, spurs a bit of activity at the least which is all good. It's fun, I like to know what other people are thinking or know :)

hmm nearly dinner time. bbq right about now sounds good :p

cya

TiM

Grant
15-01-2005, 06:50 AM
Hi,

BBQ yes damn good idea, Akld yes.. how about a pub somewhere central -it might at least stop it turning into a gearfeast!

I'm working up there fulltime at the moment - only getting home long enough in the weekend to download the next slice...

just to diverge back to MCE etc, I just converted an old laptop into MP3 server to sit alongside Tivo and the whole process reminded me how damn good tivo is.. :o)

While there is tons of great software, the laptop is quiet etc etc so should be perfect - but it is still clunky and crappy compared to tivo babee, silky smooth.. I reaffirmed my vows to the Tivo gods after that experience.

(sorry Tenty my hypermultithreading cpu couldn't spawn a new thread link)

* Why are your slice updates not automated? LOL on serial or something?
Palmod +FTA + serial + no DSL till recently = incompatible with emulator = next project...

neilp
17-01-2005, 03:06 PM
There's 3 of us working in this office have tivos - 4th being persuaded.....

Almost enough for a mainland BBQ or at least a beer.....

watling
10-10-2005, 04:28 PM
How about me have a meetup, Later this month eh?

zollymonsta
10-10-2005, 04:31 PM
Anyone in Welly who owns a bbq? :)

MrGadget
12-10-2005, 07:45 AM
How about me have a meetup, Later this month eh?
Let me propose a Christchurch Tivo Users informal get together... perhaps over a beer/coke...
Who would be interested ?

watling
12-10-2005, 07:56 AM
I'm a starter... Not this weekend, but maybe one evening next week?

neilp
18-10-2005, 05:58 AM
You know there are 4 former colleagues who would be there...

watling
18-10-2005, 06:15 AM
You know there are 4 former colleagues who would be there...

Want to pick a time/place?

MrGadget
19-10-2005, 07:53 AM
Lets say next week... How's Wednesday 26th at 5pm?
Daylight Saving so somewhere in the sun would be nice - how about the Dux de Lux ?

watling
19-10-2005, 08:05 AM
Lets say next week... How's Wednesday 26th at 5pm?
Daylight Saving so somewhere in the sun would be nice - how about the Dux de Lux ?

OK - Be there or be square. ( This forum wouldn't let me just say 'OK' It has to have at least 10 characters in reply... )

thomson
25-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Anyone in Welly who owns a bbq? :)

What about take-aways somewhere like Petone/Karori? We can get creative with the whole BBQ idea. In all fairness, I think you might be the only local (Wellington) TiVo user on the forum that I don't personally know :)

zollymonsta
25-10-2005, 04:29 PM
And I'm a strange character, feared by many for my bad sense of humour and strange looks. :)

ehintz
25-10-2005, 05:42 PM
What about take-aways somewhere like Petone/Karori? We can get creative with the whole BBQ idea. In all fairness, I think you might be the only local (Wellington) TiVo user on the forum that I don't personally know :)
What about me? :)

zollymonsta
25-10-2005, 05:49 PM
Yes We can't forget Mr Ed!!!

Fush n Chups on the petone foreshore... Ooo...

ehintz
25-10-2005, 05:49 PM

Ya know, if we wanted to do it up in style, we could do takeaways in Plimmerton, and eat 'em at the fire station. I'm a volly FF here, and Tony (who doesn't post much, but is around these parts... http://forums.oztivo.net/member.php?u=47 ) is a Station Officer. :)

zollymonsta
25-10-2005, 05:51 PM
Do we get to slide down the pole?

Or did OSH remove it due to it being a hazard? :)

ehintz
25-10-2005, 05:52 PM
Do we get to slide down the pole?

Or did OSH remove it due to it being a hazard? :)

Oh god yes. That would be far too dangerous.

Never mind that we train to charge into burning buildings. :D

zollymonsta
25-10-2005, 05:54 PM
I have the fire siren as my alarm clock on my cellphone. :) and im not even a volly firefighter.. :) It sure does wake me up in the mornings though.

ehintz
25-10-2005, 05:56 PM
I have the fire siren as my alarm clock on my cellphone. :) and im not even a volly firefighter.. :) It sure does wake me up in the mornings though.
Me too. Like last week at 01:30 for an MVA between Plimmerton and Pukerua Bay. :D Missed a good one while rebuilding the rack in AKL though. 02:48 Saturday AM, kitchen fire. Mom came home pissed and fell asleep making some food... Ooops.

zollymonsta
25-10-2005, 06:03 PM
Gosh dang.. those drunken fry-ups will do it everytime!

Wanted
26-10-2005, 08:34 AM
You all scare me. I'll order a pizza and watch TiVo as a substitute.

zollymonsta
26-10-2005, 02:43 PM
*jumps out and pulls a scary face at wanted*

:rolleyes:

You all scare me. I'll order a pizza and watch TiVo as a substitute.

thomson
27-10-2005, 07:53 PM
What about me? :)

FYI: A quick search over the list of members found the following 15 users with "Wellington" as their specified location.

chis
clive
cmptrgeezer
ehintz
GS1
maddog
mossie
oscarg
redted
Sandy
SeanOffShotgun
thomson
UncleArthur
Wanted
zollymonsta

ehintz
27-10-2005, 08:16 PM
Cool. Not a bad showing for ol' Welly. I know there's more, as the aforementioned Tony is here too.

tarx
28-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Yeah I am in Wellington as well (profile updated) - do we have a date and location confirmed yet?

SeanOffShotgun
28-10-2005, 11:17 AM
I don't mind offering up my place - it's in Miramar.
We have a BBQ, and reasonable space, in and out.
Miramar is not exactly central Wellington tho' - but I like it!

Brandoo
29-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Been ages since I've visited here - my Tivo has been sitting around gathering dust for a long time.

Managed to flog it off to someone to utilise and have gotten back in to things while we try sort it out.... has been fun!

Anyway, have updated my location now too :D

zollymonsta
29-11-2005, 04:48 PM
Welcome to WellyWood brandoo! :)

Gazzagazzanz
02-12-2005, 11:49 AM
yep - i'm keen.

ken - yes and in auckland...

Ken, you're on the MX-5 Club mailing list too right???

:cool: