PDA

View Full Version : Foxtel Questions

ilford
06-01-2005, 07:39 PM
Hi,

If I was to theoretically have a TiVo (either US or UK), would I be able to use this with Foxtel? Currently we have regular foxtel, and are planning the upgrade to Digital. Would the TiVo work with Foxtel Digital?

Thanks,
Mitch

DavidSymons
07-01-2005, 06:47 AM
Hi Mitch,

Yes indeed - and many OzTiVo-ers do.

You connect the audio and video outputs from the Foxtel Set Top Box to the inputs of the TiVo and connect an IR blaster cable (usually included) to the TiVo so that it can change the channels on the STB.

Cheers, Dave.

ilford
07-01-2005, 09:29 AM
Excellent, Thankyou David.

One other question, just to satisfy my concerns before I try and convince the wife - foxtel digital can be successfully recorded and watched on the PC? Any tips on what the quality is like?

Thanks again,
Mitch

DavidSymons
07-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Hi Mitch,

Yes it is possible to copy (or stream) programs from the TiVo to your PC for viewing. For example:

http://tivo-mplayer.sourceforge.net/

WRT the impact on Foxtel Digital quality - I don't have it so I don't know. Anyone else?

I can say that with the TiVo there is a reduction in the quality of TV output as the encoding involves some compression. We do all our recordings on Best quality which is fine for us.

Cheers, Dave.

PS. My wife was skeptical too but is now definitely a convert.

ilford
07-01-2005, 06:09 PM
Thanks again Dave.

If anyone wants to post any examples of either free to air TV or foxtel (or just let me know how it runs with Foxtel Digital), that would be fantastic.

Thanks,
Mitch

clyne
29-01-2005, 08:10 AM
Foxtel digital feed through the Tivo is reduced in quality, Personally I don't think the Tivo works well with Digital and I have thrown mine in the closet.
Gunna buy a dvd recorder with harddrive.

zollymonsta
29-01-2005, 08:20 AM
Foxtel digital feed through the Tivo is reduced in quality, Personally I don't think the Tivo works well with Digital and I have thrown mine in the closet.
Gunna buy a dvd recorder with harddrive.

Well yes, obviously it will be reduced in quality. The video/audio is being encoded twice (one at Foxtel, then again via your TiVo). You can compensate to a certain degree by making sure its recording at 720x576 (rather than the default setting of 544x576) and also make sure its recording at best quality. The majority of digital providers (including Foxtel) squeeze the crap out of their programmes (3mbps or less). If there is already mpeg blockyness in their signal of course it will be worse once through the tivo. You will also have the same trouble with a DVD recorder as its also compressing the content again. Rubbish in/Rubbish out.

lagomatic
30-01-2005, 07:36 PM
Yes i agree, the quality out of Foxtel is average, but the Tivo is unrivaled if you want to just record and watch as a combination of the Season Passes and the Tivo's ability to pick up on your suggestions is fantastic. I think you'll find a DVD recoder tedious. Its just great the way a Tivo just pick up so much programming.