PDA

View Full Version : Washed out colour on TV

lagomatic
30-11-2004, 11:48 PM
Hello guys,

Just set up my Tivo (its indexing now) and I've got to say I'm impressed, what a great system.

Have to thank the guys for setting up & maintaining this community. I'll be chipping in in whatever way I can.

However I have one problem, the picture quality is very washed out, grainy and lacking in detail. I'm just trying to establish if there is an easy fix for this, or is my TiVo faulty.

Is this a palmod issue as I have not got the palmod installed as I was under the impression is was not needed if going through Foxtel Digital.

My set up is:
Tivo, CacheCard hooked up to Foxtel Digital Cable.
I'm running s-video out of Foxtel to Tivo. Composite video from Tivo to TV. The reason I'm running composite out to tv is that for some reason my tv won't accept S-Video from my Tivo, not sure if the s-video on the Tivo is faulty.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

John

thomson
01-12-2004, 05:59 AM
Is this a palmod issue as I have not got the palmod installed as I was under the impression is was not needed if going through Foxtel Digital.

I would suggest you install the latest palmod and if you are still having trouble then you should be able to improve the situation by tuning the picture using the palmod_config utility.

There are currently two sources you can consider... they are the official palmod (http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Software/LatestPalModSeries1) and a "bleeding-edge" development version (http://www.forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?p=2164#post2164). Either one should improve your picture to an acceptable level.

tenty
01-12-2004, 08:15 PM
My set up is:
Tivo, CacheCard hooked up to Foxtel Digital Cable.
I'm running s-video out of Foxtel to Tivo. Composite video from Tivo to TV. The reason I'm running composite out to tv is that for some reason my tv won't accept S-Video from my Tivo, not sure if the s-video on the Tivo is faulty.

I am just wondering if there is a faulty connection somewhere....

Have you tried Composite from Foxtel to TiVo? and is the picture only washed out when viewing TV though TiVo?

You could also "tweek" the brightness and contrast settings using palmod_config by telnetting/using a serial cable into the TiVo.

There is an old email about "colour settings" located here (http://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/oztivo/2004-May/012963.html)

Hope this helps.

Cheers
-Edwin

lagomatic
01-12-2004, 08:28 PM
Hello Edwin,

I've checked all the connections and they seem all good and I've also switched between svideo & composite with no difference in quality. Still crap

I'm now wondering if a re-imaging of the hard drive is in order. The tivo will not output to the tv via svideo so I think something is up. I'm going to look into a couple of things and if it doesn't clear up in a day or two I'll re-image.

Thanks

John

zollymonsta
02-12-2004, 08:35 PM
Have you checked the following?

Washed Out: Increase the saturation/colour via the palmod config utility?
Grainy: Do you mean blocky? Check your recording is set to BEST and not BASIC. Also check that 'Let TiVo save disk space isn't turned on.

ZollyMonsta